Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army/Navy Recruitment 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chriskeohan

pccats wrote: »
    My son has medical Tuesday week in Cork, looks like for the navy, also applied for army. Was told medical will stand for both but received email today to say he's been put on a panel for the army, pending sanction from government to fund more recruits. He really wants the army so thinking of pulling out of the medical...is this wise, did anyone else get panelled, will recruits ever get picked from the panel??

I am waiting for a call from the army but heard nothing yet. To my knowledge there is more recruiting for 2015 so he will prob be called then. When did he get the e-mail??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pccats

I am waiting for a call from the army but heard nothing yet. To my knowledge there is more recruiting for 2015 so he will prob be called then. When did he get the e-mail??

got it this afternoon, all confused as the navy in Cork said the medical was for both, think though with the email today he's no longer in the running for the army. Pity they don't give more info, if it's likely you'll get called or not next year, specially as these decisions are life changing!

got it this afternoon, all confused as the navy in Cork said the medical was for both, think though with the email today he's no longer in the running for the army. Pity they don't give more info, if it's likely you'll get called or not next year, specially as these decisions are life changing!

I know, my advice would be take the navy if that's what he wants to do. If the army don't call him he will regret not taking it for the rest of his life. Big gamble if he doesn't take it. But the other side of it is what's for you won't pass you! Tough decision but at least he has the decision to make.

I know, my advice would be take the navy if that's what he wants to do. If the army don't call him he will regret not taking it for the rest of his life. Big gamble if he doesn't take it. But the other side of it is what's for you won't pass you! Tough decision but at least he has the decision to make.

has decided not to take navy, really wants the army, hopefully someone else will get the email they're hoping for! going to request info under foi, think candidates are at least entitled

has decided not to take navy, really wants the army, hopefully someone else will get the email they're hoping for! going to request info under foi, think candidates are at least entitled

Yeah I that's really wat he wants then I'd do the same to be honest. Keep me posted if u hear anything from the army. Il do the same. This waiting game driving everyone insane. Best of luck :)

has decided not to take navy, really wants the army, hopefully someone else will get the email they're hoping for! going to request info under foi, think candidates are at least entitled to know place on a panel, be it A or B panel, and then u can make an informed decision as to what direction u want to go with your life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Stevenbutcher

Has anybody heard anything ?

Has anybody heard anything ?

Not yet bud hopefully today

Not yet bud hopefully today

This waiting is a killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Gazo66

To the guy who going to take the navy instead of army but really wants the army, how the Panal works is in 2012 when they recruited last time the also had a Panal and the hole Panal was used in 2013 do they didn't need to recruit last year as they were able to use the Panal and the same process this year, I wouldn't rush into accepting navy if he wants army because once you accept your off the list, if you decided he wanted to the army after he joins it could be a lot more difficult to get in, the army has already picked there recruits but all them must pass medical to proceed and anyone who fails the turn to the Panal then to make up the numbers, also balindonel air core use the Panal that the curragh have and to my knollege there taking 40 people from the Panal for there recruitment this year aswel so it's not dead in the water so to speak hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trevorcooke

I got an email looks like I have been put on a panel. I'm just curious if anybody knows anyone that has been on the panel and got a position from it and will the government sanction more recruits next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

I got an email looks like I have been put on a panel. I'm just curious if anybody knows anyone that has been on the panel and got a position from it and will the government sanction more recruits next year ?

That's the burning question and no one at all seems to know the answer.

If anyone had asked the DF this please please post here what you found out, there's a lot of very anxious and confused folk here...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paul_aaron

A couple of friends of mine were placed on the panel in 2012 then got a place in 2013 for the army, I was placed on the 2015 got an email the other week .. so hopefully get in next year (if I don't get in navy this year!)

Lads did anyone hear anything yet? It's starting to get a bit of a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gazoc90

Lads did anyone hear anything yet? It's starting to get a bit of a joke?

A lot of people have dates for their medicals so get on military.ie and get the email address of the recruitment dept and email them.

• Advertisement

Gazoc90 wrote: »
    A lot of people have dates for their medicals so get on military.ie and get the email address of the recruitment dept and email them.

Oh really?? Maybe I didn't get in then. I e-mails them anyway just in case. When did everyone receive dates for medicals do u know??

I also have heard nothing,I have emailed them twice with no reply and can't get throught to them on the phone..

Just got e-mail saying they will be doing medicals in early August and they will e-mails me a date with plenty of notice as I successfully completed the 2nd psychometric test. I only got this as I e-mailed them 1st. So give them a shout today

ya will do, well done bud,good luck

Just got e-mail saying they will be doing medicals in early August and they will e-mails me a date with plenty of notice as I successfully completed the 2nd psychometric test. I only got this as I e-mailed them 1st. So give them a shout today

What email address did you use

• Advertisement

What email address did you use

1bde . Recruitment @ defence forces . Ie but obviously no spaces it won't leave me send otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lorflower

Is that email confirmed as a contact

lorflower wrote: »
    Is that email confirmed as a contact

Thats the email adress they gave us at the apptitude test

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭raider848

has anybody from dublin got anyword yet

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pokerface92

I have my medical due the 22nd of this month and I can't attend. I'm wondering is there anyone on this have been given a medical date that applied to cork that would swap me their date for mine might be easy if you had holiday plans or something like that

has any body from Dublin heard anything yet

Anyone that done the medical yet??, Just wondering how long does it take and do you get the results on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 stekelly95

Anyone that done the medical yet??, Just wondering how long does it take and do you get the results on the day?

well considering take in is between august and September I'm sure it wouldn't take long to find out.

the medical itself is blood samples, piss tests, lung capacity test and hearing test so I'm sure if you know your I'm good shape and steriod free/drug free that you'll pass it no problem

yeah I've my medical on Thursday pal, medicals on 22nd and the 24th

I was notified nearly 2 weeks ago about the medical but there running till early August so don't feel let down if you've heard nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kcdc13

I havent heard anything bout a medical but they did email me to say that baiscally i passed they just are waiting for available dates in the hostipal for us

• Advertisement

kcdc13 wrote: »
    I havent heard anything bout a medical but they did email me to say that baiscally i passed they just are waiting for available dates in the hostipal for us

Mine is not till 5th of august so plenty of time to get the email yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Summers1994

Anybody able to clear up what the medical actually consists of and how would one go about preparing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gazo66

Colour blind test, hearing lung capacity, fallen archs, blood test urine sample, and then you go to the doctor at the end of it for your bloods and urine, fail anyone of the others before your bloods, a lot of paper work before it filling out forms asking about have you ever tried drugs at any stage of your life and are you on drugs write a list of medication you've taken in last month if you forget ta write somethin down snd it shows in your bloods it's a fail, in good health and no drugs or steroids or flat feet and ya fly it

Anybody able to clear up what the medical actually consists of and how would one go about preparing for it

I just done mine today,

you go in and get an ECG done on your heart, its just a tracing to see how your heart beats and to see if you've a irregular heartbeat or palpitations and that.

you'll then do a medical questionaire...most likely several of these throughout the day as its repetitive! just asking about own health to your knowledge and basic info about yourself.

you'll then do a piss test..DO NOT CLOSE THE LID WHEN YOUR DONE! loads of people close the lid after being instructed not to and if you do then you've to come back a different day to do it again..there's a certain way to put it on apparently and the medic does it for you.

you then might be sitting around awhile while the paper work is done by the medic and gathering you info together!

you go and get your bloods taken and blood pressure and all that

you'll be brought to the dental nurse to map your teeth (basically see if there in bits or not and hanging out of your head)

then you'll go your hearing tests, lung capacity (just blow as hard as you can for as long as you can, like your fogging a window or something) then right after you do your eye test and when its all done and you've completed everything you bring all your documents to the medical officer and she will tell you whether you are medically fit for the defence forces or whether you aren't...if you are you'll be told you are "temporarily fit" pending your blood and urnine tests, if not you might be called back to resit possibly the hearing or eye test if you failed them

hope this helps bud... good luck!

stekelly95 wrote: »
    I just done mine today,

you go in and get an ECG done on your heart, its just a tracing to see how your heart beats and to see if you've a irregular heartbeat or palpitations and that.

you'll then do a medical questionaire...most likely several of these throughout the day as its repetitive! just asking about own health to your knowledge and basic info about yourself.

you'll then do a piss test..DO NOT CLOSE THE LID WHEN YOUR DONE! loads of people close the lid after being instructed not to and if you do then you've to come back a different day to do it again..there's a certain way to put it on apparently and the medic does it for you.

you then might be sitting around awhile while the paper work is done by the medic and gathering you info together!

you go and get your bloods taken and blood pressure and all that

you'll be brought to the dental nurse to map your teeth (basically see if there in bits or not and hanging out of your head)

then you'll go your hearing tests, lung capacity (just blow as hard as you can for as long as you can, like your fogging a window or something) then right after you do your eye test and when its all done and you've completed everything you bring all your documents to the medical officer and she will tell you whether you are medically fit for the defence forces or whether you aren't...if you are you'll be told you are "temporarily fit" pending your blood and urnine tests, if not you might be called back to resit possibly the hearing or eye test if you failed them

hope this helps bud... good luck!

Perfect bud thanks for that

Perfect bud thanks for that

anytime pal...good luck

anytime pal...good luck

Any idea how long the medical is?

Any idea how long the medical is?

I was in for 7:45 and didn't get out till 2:30 but that's cause there was a huge delay as the servers went down so the information couldn't be processed and all so they couldn't continue the medical without the information they were trying to process... worst case sinario thats the latest I'd say! but id give it 4-5 hours roughly bud

I was in for 7:45 and didn't get out till 2:30 but that's cause there was a huge delay as the servers went down so the information couldn't be processed and all so they couldn't continue the medical without the information they were trying to process... worst case sinario thats the latest I'd say! but id give it 4-5 hours roughly bud
    Cheers bud.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know an exact date for the training yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dobo1

for the navy 18th of aug and 20th of oct

first platoon is being trained on the 19th of august in most likely rathmines

if you've done your medical in July and passed then youve a strong chance at getting that platoon

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭killer91

Anybody have an idea when the next platoon would be going in after the first platoon in Brugha?

first platoon is being trained on the 19th of august in most likely rathmines

if you've done your medical in July and passed then youve a strong chance at getting that platoon

My medical not until 5th Aug so is there another date? Or do you reckon it's the same??

My medical not until 5th Aug so is there another date? Or do you reckon it's the same??

there is another date quite possibly in late august but if not then the next is end of September start of october!

but you can still be called into the first platoon as its almost certain that people will drop out in the first two weeks so you can be called in to replace them.

and it depends how quick your gardai vetting form clears and all that...some take a lot longer than others cause the gaurds are useless, like me myself theres not certainty that I'll even get the first platoon after passing my medical last week as it all depends on the gardai vetting forms now

• Advertisement

there is another date quite possibly in late august but if not then the next is end of September start of october!

but you can still be called into the first platoon as its almost certain that people will drop out in the first two weeks so you can be called in to replace them.

and it depends how quick your gardai vetting form clears and all that...some take a lot longer than others cause the gaurds are useless, like me myself theres not certainty that I'll even get the first platoon after passing my medical last week as it all depends on the gardai vetting forms now

Ah good stuff. Just pass the medical now is all lol. Thanks a mil

Ah good stuff. Just pass the medical now is all lol. Thanks a mil

you should pass it no problem anyway if your in good shape.. I wrote the whole day up anyway so that's exactly how it goes so you kind of know before you go in whether you will pass and then your told on the day itself whether you 'temporarily fit' (fit pending your blood and urine) or 'temporarily unfit' (if you fail your eye, hearing or lung capacity test you can retry it another day) or 'unfit' which is if its clear you aren't medically fit but that's extreme case to be quite honest!

good luck anyway pal

you should pass it no problem anyway if your in good shape.. I wrote the whole day up anyway so that's exactly how it goes so you kind of know before you go in whether you will pass and then your told on the day itself whether you 'temporarily fit' (fit pending your blood and urine) or 'temporarily unfit' (if you fail your eye, hearing or lung capacity test you can retry it another day) or 'unfit' which is if its clear you aren't medically fit but that's extreme case to be quite honest!

good luck anyway pal

Ah yeah it should be no problem I'm not to worried about it. Heard the hearing test is tough enough but I should be fine. Cheers again bud

Ah yeah it should be no problem I'm not to worried about it. Heard the hearing test is tough enough but I should be fine. Cheers again bud

the hearing test is abit of a bollox I'll admit that!! half way through I got a ringing sensation in my ears so I could only hear a really really faint sound and I still managed to pass so you should be sorted, literally any sound what so ever you think you hear just press the button.

Do you have to fast for 12 hours before the medical on account of getting blood taken?

• Advertisement
Advertisement