Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End is near....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

waste of everyone's time; there's few enough bikes that the Gardaí can police road worthiness for them. Plus I think your average biker has more cop on about the maintenance of their bike than car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Who is going to test them? The NCT? I can't see it being worthwhile to fit a whole new lane for bikes?
    Motorcycle shops? Probably better and more relevant.
    I can only see it as a money spinning exercise TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

easy enough to pop the bonnet off a car, what will they do with my bike - not look at engine components or rip all the fairings off!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

My fair is if some gob****e has to take your pride and joy out on the road for a `Test Spin', no way some clown is red lining my bike for his jollies before lunch.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Who is going to test them? The NCT? I can't see it being worthwhile to fit a whole new lane for bikes?

Motorbike shops no way half of them are ripping people off already with so called service!!!! Most of them think its a favour to even change the plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

It's a pure money making, red tape, another way to fine/penalise people but at least it's 8 years away and I don't understand why tractors and trailers/caravans should be exempt.
    Some of the trailers on the roads are accidents waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Money racket.

It'll be sold like everything else.

"The government guarantees the safety of the nations children...... give us all your money."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I actually dont mind so long as it is transparent.

The vast majority of us treat our bikes better than our kids :) but there are some yokes going around in bad shape. Some examples I see all too often.

Tyres - Plenty of baldy slicks out there.
    Indicators - Some people have stupidly small (and I mean Tiny) indicators.
    Shocks - Know a good few bikes on the road with leaking forks / failed rear shocks.
    Badly focused headlamps - As somebody who rides a car/bike 50/50 I am constantly blinded by bikes behind me with unadjusted headlamps.

They should consult with bikers though when planning this out. I cant see how the current NCT system would suit a bike. But there are 8 years to figure this out I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Tzardine wrote: »
    They should consult with bikers though when planning this out.

MAG Ireland has been on the case since 2010
    http://www.magireland.org/category/campaigns/rwt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Couriers are the main offenders, but pretty much any biker I know would stroll an NCT. Still, it's a pain in the hole actually having to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »

The only option would be to force the NCT contractor to do bikes or stick them into the DOE systeme, there won't be enough bikes in this country to setup an independent test network.

There's a reason why we didn't follow the UK MOT in garages system when we brought in the NCT and then they followed our lead by taking the MOT from garages up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

They declined tractors! As I live in the country side these things can be very dangerous. Wonky tyres and the vast majority have no lights at all.

I'd tend to agree its a good thing but fail to see how current system will take on the demand and yeah, I'm not handing my keys to someone who's never handled a bike before.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

As if they haven't killed biking enough as it is
    Simply just another money making racket

Knowing our luck (Bikers) it will be a yearly check like the DOE coz we all know that bikes are death traps......highly doubt they will let bikes away with every 4 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I actually dont mind so long as it is transparent.

The vast majority of us treat our bikes better than our kids :) but there are some yokes going around in bad shape. Some examples I see all too often.

Tyres - Plenty of baldy slicks out there.
    Indicators - Some people have stupidly small (and I mean Tiny) indicators.
    Shocks - Know a good few bikes on the road with leaking forks / failed rear shocks.
    Badly focused headlamps - As somebody who rides a car/bike 50/50 I am constantly blinded by bikes behind me with unadjusted headlamps.

They should consult with bikers though when planning this out. I cant see how the current NCT system would suit a bike. But there are 8 years to figure this out I guess.

Badly adjusted lamps? Oh the shame of it.
    No indicators on my bike its not even wired for them.. I have hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

If I had faith in any part of our goverment there might be some positive aspects to it, sorting the odd set of balding tyres, maybe having some decent motorcycle maintenance courses since there would be more jobs for it...but the reality will be a total costly inefficient nonsensicle sham. Looking forward to having a bike fail for a cracked indicator lens

I really feel there is no need for this....in my short time biking I have found that 90% of lads keep their machines in tip top order they really do. As OP said they treat their bikes better then the wife!

Hopefully this when enforced will only be for bikes of a certain age, say over 8-10 yrs old but I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The European Parliament passes all sorts of resoultions about all sorts of things and 90% of them don't go anywhere, it has no power to initiate legislation. I'll wait for an official announcement.

That'd be idiots using main beam.

Say bye-bye to non-standard pipes.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    The European Parliament passes all sorts of resoultions about all sorts of things and 90% of them don't go anywhere, it has no power to initiate legislation. I'll wait for an official announcement.

Agreed, but if we do not kick up a big enough fuss about it like the French do for any little thing. The powers to be will think they can just slide it in unnoticed. As was pointed out that MAG have been on this for 4 yrs now at this stage so its been on the cards for a hell of a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

the guys on deathtraps will just ignore it, so all this is doing really, is squeezing more out of the (mostly) law abiding

cant see there being a big enough market / profit for it to be implemented over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jesus.. They must have finally run out of ways to shaft drivers.. Only advantage I can see is some quieter bikes but I have yet to see a bike that I would call "dangerous" in fairness. Ye do keep them in good shape. Be more in their line to bring out a two yearly check for trailers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Wossack wrote: »
    the guys on deathtraps will just ignore it, so all this is doing really, is squeezing more out of the (mostly) law abiding

cant see there being a big enough market / profit for it to be implemented over here

They'll probably just make one test centre in dublin and cork and everyone will have to go to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I'd tend to agree its a good thing but fail to see how current system will take on the demand and yeah, I'm not handing my keys to someone who's never handled a bike before.

Same here. If I was forced to just to get a stupid paper, id stand there with a baseball bat eyeing them up waiting for them to do something stupid. There would be hell to pay if he tried to sit on it dont mind driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jvan wrote: »
    It's a pure money making, red tape, another way to fine/penalise people but at least it's 8 years away and I don't understand why tractors and trailers/caravans should be exempt.
    Some of the trailers on the roads are accidents waiting to happen.

The farming lobby/IFA/ICMSA would shoot that down straight away, before it would have a chance to get off the ground. Motorcycling is a soft target, a miniscule microscopic percentage of the population, not too many votes to be lost there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Whether this will get implemented or not will come down to how much it will cost to implement vs how much cashish it can generate.

I don't think there is enough bikes on the road in the country to make it worthwhile financially to the government and if it will cost them anything to get it off the ground I can't see it happening.

That being said, I'm not against it. Depending on what is checked in the test it could be a fairly cheap way to get a good look over your bike, there's plenty of people out there who don't do their own work and would only visit the mechanic when a problem crops up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well here's FEMA's take on it

http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=400&cntnt01returnid=15
    Mar 11, 2014
    Euro bike testing scrapped

The European Parliament by a large majority voted in favour of the compromise proposal from the European Commission on a European regulation for the periodic technical inspection (PTI) of motor vehicles.

This compromise proposal will include that the PTI for motorcycles is postponed until 2022.

If the Member States in the five years prior to that date take adequate measures to improve the safety of motorcycles the PTI can be waived. FEMA assumes that this will happen.

In the event that Member States do introduce a periodical technical inspection, for whatever reason, the Member States can now decide how they will organize the PTI and the frequency with which the inspection will take place.

FEMA spokesman Dolf Willigers reports from Strasbourg: "This is a great victory for the National organizations and FEMA. Without close cooperation of our organizations with befriended MEP's and particularly the Dutch and French government, we would never have been able to achieve this result."

so it'll remain up to our government whether they do this or not. The EU won't impose it.

Tenner says our government CBA :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

On the plus side, if they do go ahead with an NCT for motorcycles, maybe the training authorities will implement a motorcycle mechanics course into the curriculum to fill the void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

dunner515 wrote: »
    As if they haven't killed biking enough as it is
    Simply just another money making racket
    Are you implying that having an NCT requirment for bikes would kill bikes off? I am living in the UK where bikes have to be MoTed. I am not sure how long that has been the case, but I don't remember it being any other way. It doesn't seem to have killed biking here.

I think a lot will depend on how it is handled. For example, here in England is different to NI, where I grew up and Ireland. In NI there is a government test centre run by the department of Transport. That is where you get the test done. I Ireland you have the NCT centres. Here in England you just get the MoT done in a garage. Most garages are qualified to do it. When my bike needs its MoT I will take it to the guys I bought it off. That is where I get it serviced and I trust them.

Not sure what the big deal is...

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

MrPudding wrote: »
    . That is where you get the test done. I Ireland you have the NCT centres. Here in England you just get the MoT done in a garage. Most garages are qualified to do it. When my bike needs its MoT I will take it to the guys I bought it off. That is where I get it serviced and I trust them.

MrP

I'd have no problem with that myself but I'll be f*cked if I'm handing over my bike to the tards that work in the NCT test centers for them to dick about and crash it or something, having no experience with such a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

MrPudding wrote: »
    Are you implying that having an NCT requirment for bikes would kill bikes off? I am living in the UK where bikes have to be MoTed. I am not sure how long that has been the case, but I don't remember it being any other way. It doesn't seem to have killed biking here.

I think a lot will depend on how it is handled. For example, here in England is different to NI, where I grew up and Ireland. In NI there is a government test centre run by the department of Transport. That is where you get the test done. I Ireland you have the NCT centres. Here in England you just get the MoT done in a garage. Most garages are qualified to do it. When my bike needs its MoT I will take it to the guys I bought it off. That is where I get it serviced and I trust them.

MrP

Agreed, same situation in Poland where I'm from. My issue would be to trust whoevers at the nct center to take care of my bike. I'd certwinly wouldn't have a problem if a garage was doing it cuz that way I can ddcide whatever I trust the person or not. With an nct centre I have no such luxury.

Advertisement