Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End is near....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with that myself but I'll be f*cked if I'm handing over my bike to the tards that work in the NCT test centers for them to dick about and crash it or something, having no experience with such a machine.
    I have to admit, I would have an issue with that too. With a bit of luck it will be the same as it is in England, where you can take it somewhere run by bikers that you trust, or at least are more likely to trust...

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

ninja900 wrote: »

Say bye-bye to non-standard pipes.

Daubt it. The only they coukd fail you on wouls be that its too loud. But then all the harley/choppers/whatever would be banned too as theyre much louder with standard pipes. Ans since they would have to be allowed on roads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The reason why it hasnt killed off biking in the UK is the sheer size and volume of the country! I mean there are nearly 3 times the people in London alone then the whole of Ireland.....you do the maths on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The reason why it hasnt killed off biking in the UK is the sheer size and volume of the country! I mean there are nearly 3 times the people in London alone then the whole of Ireland.....you do the maths on that one!

Not sure what your point is... What has population got to do with a roadworthiness test? Are you suggesting that because there are so few riders in Ireland that test will be £1000 or something?

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MrPudding wrote: »
    I have to admit, I would have an issue with that too. With a bit of luck it will be the same as it is in England, where you can take it somewhere run by bikers that you trust, or at least are more likely to trust...

MrP

There's no chance of the test going to bike shops. There's too much risk of fraud or scamming. That's the reason that the NCT was setup independent of the motor trade and they had to do similar to the DOE test centres, the old DOE system was worst than the MOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not sure what your point is...

My point is as follow's....

Say for arguments sake there are 5 people on motorbikes for every 5,000 people in both the UK and Ireland. We have a population of 4.59 million (2012) the UK has a population of 64.9 million!

You don't need to be Jimmy Neutron boy genius to see that there is a hell of alot more people on bikes in the UK so anything that is implemented both good and bad will affect a significantly more amount of people. Therefore, the MOT on bikes in the UK is very profitable not so much over here.

Would the government even think about this if there was only 100 bikes in Ireland????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I'd have no problem with that myself but I'll be f*cked if I'm handing over my bike to the tards that work in the NCT test centers for them to dick about and crash it or something, having no experience with such a machine.

the MOT test does not involve anyone riding your bike, they use a meter to test the brakes, a machine to test the lights, an analyser for emmissions the rest is visual and static

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

To be honest, the way motorbikes fly under the radar for most things here (parking, some tolls, most speed cameras, bus lanes) I can't picture it happening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

szatan84 wrote: »
    Daubt it. The only they coukd fail you on wouls be that its too loud. But then all the harley/choppers/whatever would be banned too as theyre much louder with standard pipes.

Nope. The noise limits on the pipes the bikes are sold with are the same for all bikes. You probably just haven't ever heard one with standard pipes as many of them never leave the dealership floor with the standard pipe.

They could also decide that any non-standard or non-approved part on the bike will fail it, like Germany.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MonstaMash wrote: »
    On the plus side, if they do go ahead with an NCT for motorcycles, maybe the training authorities will implement a motorcycle mechanics course into the curriculum to fill the void.

So we should basically all stick our hands into our pockets to do the motorcycle industry here a favour because they can't be arsed to do it or pay for it themselves?

Eh, no thanks.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Money racket. Has been going on for years with the truck and bus cpc's and now the privatisation of the drivers licence stuff also.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Are you implying that having an NCT requirment for bikes would kill bikes off? I am living in the UK where bikes have to be MoTed. I am not sure how long that has been the case, but I don't remember it being any other way. It doesn't seem to have killed biking here.

Bigger biking culture and heritage in the UK to begin with. That doesn't exist in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Lots of people worrying about retards taking their 700mph, gold plated, 20000cc, Kawasaki Flailing Death, for a test drive through the nearest available building. If this actually happens and If its to be done like the cars then theres nothing to fear as theres no test drive. Theyll just drive it into the workshop, look around it, test stuff like braking and damper performance and drive it into the collection area round back for ye to get. The only revving done, will be to a high idle speed (usually 2-3,000 rpm on petrol cars) to check noise and emissions and thats it. Still a pure b*llox if it goes through though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

...Theyll just drive it into the workshop,... and drive it into the collection area round back for ye to get.

No they fcukin wont'! :mad: Not sure if you have a bike yourself, if you did then you would understand or... it could be that most of us are pretentious ba$716$ when it comes to our bikes!

I'd be more at easy if garages were allowed to carry these tests out, at least then you are handing it in to someone that you trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I'd be more at easy if garages were allowed to carry these tests out, at least then you are handing it in to someone that you trust.

Accidents can happen to anyone, and to be honest if someone was to drop my bike I'd rather it be someone employed by Applus (NCT) who have the money to pay me to fix it rather than a small local mechanic who might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Vikings wrote: »
    Accidents can happen to anyone, and to be honest if someone was to drop my bike I'd rather it be someone employed by Applus (NCT) who have the money to pay me to fix it rather than a small local mechanic who might not.

Im pretty sure any shop is insured against these things. As for nct they will probably deny liability or put some small print in which they refuse to accept liability for damage caused in nct carpark or whatever. (Same as supermarkets do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I drive a fairly heavy bike, which tips the scales at 380 dry. I'm a big guy and I have trouble maneuvering it at the best of times, there isn't a fucking hope in hell that some random "lad" is getting his oily mits on it only to drop it at the first corner. It'll be tested in an authorized dealer for me or not at all.

szatan84 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure any shop is insured against these things. As for nct they will probably deny liability or put some small print in which they refuse to accept liability for damage caused in nct carpark or whatever. (Same as supermarkets do).

They can put up any signs that they want to, law over rides what's on any sign and if someone damages your property you are entitled to compensation.

The only exception the NCT has if for blowing up oil burners during high idle testing of emissions, but if you look after the engine there is no risk.

I drive a fairly heavy bike, which tips the scales at 380 dry. I'm a big guy and I have trouble maneuvering it at the best of times, there isn't a fucking hope in hell that some random "lad" is getting his oily mits on it only to drop it at the first corner. It'll be tested in an authorized dealer for me or not at all.

You won't have a choice where it'll be tested and as I've already said there is no chance of it going to dealers or bike shops, the old DOE and MOT has shown that they can't be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

ninja900 wrote: »
    So we should basically all stick our hands into our pockets to do the motorcycle industry here a favour because they can't be arsed to do it or pay for it themselves?

Eh, no thanks.
    Couldn't give a fiddlers fook about the motorcycle industry here to be honest, I do all my own wrenching...

It would be beneficial however to those in the sickle community that don't know one end of a toolbox to the other in that an availability of qualified motorcycle mechanics would be better than the status quo in Ireland that is a glut of under/non-qualified fookn chancers calling themselves motorcycle mechanics who only want to rape your wallet & make a bollox of your pride & joy!

Or we could all ride without an NCT as a form of protest & say fook you & your money making schemes...works for me :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Or we could all ride without an NCT as a form of protest & say fook you & your money making schemes...works for me :D;)

I do quite like telling people to go fuck themselves..... its my thing, a thing that I do :D

So count me in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I do quite like telling people to go fuck themselves..... its my thing, a thing that I do :D

So count me in ;)
    Vive la révolution :D

Advertisement