Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas on what caused this bare strip?

• 11-03-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. Towards the end of last summer when we came home from a week away there was a bare strip that had appeared along the grass in our back garden. The grass didn't regrow during the rest of the summer and there are now patches of moss along it.

I've attached a few photos - just looking for ideas as to what may have caused it and advise on next steps. Is it as simple as a combined lawn feed / moss killer followed up by sowing some grass seed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Plates wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. Towards the end of last summer when we came home from a week away there was a bare strip that had appeared along the grass in our back garden. The grass didn't regrow during the rest of the summer and there are now patches of moss along it.

I've attached a few photos - just looking for ideas as to what may have caused it and advise on next steps. Is it as simple as a combined lawn feed / moss killer followed up by sowing some grass seed?
    That looks like a spillage, possibly a DIY lawn weed control job gone wrong.
    In any case reseeding should sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Does it curve off at the end towards the shed door? Was there previously a path there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

peadar76 wrote: »
    Does it curve off at the end towards the shed door? Was there previously a path there?

We dug out the whole garden a couple of years ago and relaid it - there wasn't a path there previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is it possible that some weedkiller leaked out of a bottle while you were carrying it to the shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

kylith wrote: »
    Is it possible that some weedkiller leaked out of a bottle while you were carrying it to the shed?

Or petrol or........ Could have been anything spilled there, and it's what's most likely happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

By any chance is that the way you all walk to the shed door? Walking on it would compact the soil and kill off grass promoting moss.

redser7 wrote: »
    By any chance is that the way you all walk to the shed door? Walking on it would compact the soil and kill off grass promoting moss.
    People generally walk in straight lines, otherwise known as "desire lines", the lines in the OP's pics aren't really that straight so I think that can safely be ruled out, as stated already it has all the hallmarks of a spillage of some kind and reseeding should sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

People generally walk in straight lines, otherwise known as "desire lines", the lines in the OP's pics aren't really that straight so I think that can safely be ruled out, as stated already it has all the hallmarks of a spillage of some kind and reseeding should sort it out.

Maybe he makes homebrew down there

Maybe he makes homebrew down there
    It must be very strong stuff :pac:;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

This would be my guess too. Compressing the grass during the winter kills it - although you don't notice til spring comes round and you get either bare patches or moss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

petrol or diesel in a container

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Or white spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Putting 2 and 2 together, I would guess you probably spilt the homebrew :D

Advertisement