Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Computer for DayZ Standalone

Options
  • 11-03-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, my name is Ciaran.
    I am looking to buy a new computer for playing the game DayZ Standalone, I don't wanna be playing any of the new major games like bf4, cod ghosts or ac4 just DayZ on Medium-High settings.

1. What is your budget? 500 euro but I would like to keep the budget as low as possible.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Playing DayZ or Minecraft.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes but that will be excluded from the budget.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 20 inch

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard/Mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Hopefully this month.

Here is the system minimum system requirements for DayZ Standalone and recommended

Minimum:
    Processor: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

Recommended:
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 14 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

Sorry for such a long post, please help me out.

Thank you, Ciaran :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Problem is that DayZ standalone runs like a pig even on mighty pcs. In its defence it's still alpha, but to its weakness - it's a ****y Arma 2 engine.
    I doubt with 500eu you will get it to med/high settings with decent Fps in urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Problem is that DayZ standalone runs like a pig even on mighty pcs. In its defence it's still alpha, but to its weakness - it's a ****y Arma 2 engine.
    I doubt with 500eu you will get it to med/high settings with decent Fps in urban areas.

Exactly what ShadowHearth said. I was running a 7970 when it was still in that mod stage I haven't played it since but its really poorly optimised. I was getting drops as low as 10 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaran_s123

Would it still be worth buying a pc for DayZ? I heard they would be inproving the frame rate for everyone in future?

Would it still be worth buying a pc for DayZ? I heard they would be inproving the frame rate for everyone in future?

Emmmmmm..... dayZ is really cool, but I find Rust to be a lot more "entertaining". I clocked in 35h in DayZ and I got it not far from Launch and I got Rust on February 1st and got 200h+ on it already.
    For DayZ alone getting PC is not worth it by a long shot. Though remember that PC has A TON of games and for a lot cheaper prices. ( example: I will be buying Dark Souls 2 for 60eu on Friday for PS3, but I can already preorder PC version for less then 25eu... )
    Then again, remember that PC is not just a gaming Device, its a best media centre out there.
    So yeah, TL:DR now. Its not worth it getting just for DayZ, but getting PC is WORTH it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This is about as good as you will get for under €500 beans.

It's a very solid pc that will run most games on high settings. Day-z is terribly optimised but with some tweaking of the settings you can get it running well and still looking good.

Prices were got using www.geizhals.de

Item|Price
    Intel Core i3-4130 Box, LGA1150|€92.21
    ASRock H81M, Sockel 1150, mATX|€45.12
    MSI R9 270 GAMING 2G, AMD Radeon R9 270, 2GB DDR5|€147.06
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€60.85
    Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 8,9cm (3,5") SSHD (8MB)|€65.22
    Corsair VS Serie VS450, Non-Modular, 80+|€34.89
    Sharkoon MA-A1000, mATX, ohne Netzteil|€28.33
    Shipping|€12.99
    Total|€486.67

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Them damn recommend settings giving people false hopes , they really should come with a warning . "These settings will kick in one year after release and 15 patches later, If you are lucky".

Emmmmmm..... dayZ is really cool, but I find Rust to be a lot more "entertaining". I clocked in 35h in DayZ and I got it not far from Launch and I got Rust on February 1st and got 200h+ on it already.
    For DayZ alone getting PC is not worth it by a long shot. Though remember that PC has A TON of games and for a lot cheaper prices. ( example: I will be buying Dark Souls 2 for 60eu on Friday for PS3, but I can already preorder PC version for less then 25eu... )
    Then again, remember that PC is not just a gaming Device, its a best media centre out there.
    So yeah, TL:DR now. Its not worth it getting just for DayZ, but getting PC is WORTH it.

I currently have DayZ and I'm playing on very low settings and my resolution is set to 75% so the game looks horrible at the moment.
    I was looking at Rust a few weeks ago but I decided I wouldn't get it because I probaly wouldn't be able to move with such low fps. Do you think the pc bloodbath recommended could play Rust at playable fps and looking kinda nice?

Thank you bloodbath and everyone else for the replies :)

Ciaran try save an extra 50 for your budget.

Intel Core i5-4440 Box, LGA1150 -148

WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's - 47

DVD 15

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 WindForce 2X OC, 2GB GDDR5 -151

G.Skill Aegis DIMM 4GB, DDR3-1600-31

ASRock H87 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX-65

Corsair Carbide Series 200R, ATX, ohne Netzteil -45

Corsair CX Series Modular CX500M-55

TOTAL is 557 including delivery.

With the I5 you will see noticeable improvements. And will keep you going into the foreseeable future. You can just swap this out into bloods better budget build also and have 8 gigs of ram.

NOTE : I sacrificed 4 gigs of ram.
    4 gig ram is minimum for gaming.
    So I sacrificed 4 gigs of ram to make all the other parts which are not so easy to install more upgradable and better quality for you. ram prices as of now are double what they were. You can pick up more when you have spare cash.

I currently have DayZ and I'm playing on very low settings and my resolution is set to 75% so the game looks horrible at the moment.
    I was looking at Rust a few weeks ago but I decided I wouldn't get it because I probaly wouldn't be able to move with such low fps. Do you think the pc bloodbath recommended could play Rust at playable fps and looking kinda nice?

Thank you bloodbath and everyone else for the replies :)

Well, I am pretty sure Rust has a lot lower requirements and even for alpha it is a lot better optimised with a very simple but effective quality slider.
    The specs of pc above would have no problem running rust.

• Advertisement

I like the spec above, but I would still go 8gb minimum at this day and age. 4gb is really pushing it with current pc stuff and future stuff.

Yeah windows and background programs alone will use around 2gb of ram leaving feck all for games. I'd go with 8gb.

An i5 4440 would be preferable to the i3 4130 as well. I'd also go for the sshd to improve windows performance over just a standard hdd.

So put in an extra €50 and get an i5 processor? Also what would be a good monitor for this pc?

Yep.

For the monitor I'd get this. It's €10 cheaper on HWVS through geizhals but will come with a 2 pin german plug.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-22EA53VQ-21-5-inch-IPS-Monitor/dp/B00BWOJ35G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394637089&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+ips&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yep.

For the monitor I'd get this. It's €10 cheaper on HWVS through geizhals but will come with a 2 pin german plug.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-22EA53VQ-21-5-inch-IPS-Monitor/dp/B00BWOJ35G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394637089&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+ips&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

Ok thank you for all the help, also will all these parts be compatible?

Just do up a list you have settled on and post here before you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The arma 2-ish engine that DayZ standalone uses really is horrible. When it's not causing fps drops, you still have to deal with the mouse acceleration. I bought dayz SA with the greatest intentions of playing loads but only played about 5 hours before being left wanting the aiming from counterstrike/cod4, 1:1 raw mouse input.

The builds above should handle dayz but not at medium - high settings. I can barely run the poxy thing on my pc at low settings (all lowest, clouds on, and 1440p), without dropping a huge amount of fps in the cities, then out in the open places i'll get 150fps... It'll be a while before the game is optimised too... but it is in alpha

It will never be optimized, the entire engine is massively flawed.

I'm amazed it was used for the standalone.

BloodBath wrote: »
    It will never be optimized, the entire engine is massively flawed.

I'm amazed it was used for the standalone.

Not just amazed, but really annoyed. Arma 3 is such a HUGE improvement and they decided to go old ****ty arma 2... Bah!

Not just amazed, but really annoyed. Arma 3 is such a HUGE improvement and they decided to go old ****ty arma 2... Bah!

Arma 3 suffers the same problems, same lack of optimizations. It's a small studio and an ambitious game so It's understandable. Now they are finished the campaign hopefully they can concentrate on the other side of it more and dayz too.

Give dayz time . I remember arma 2 when It first came out god damn for months it was a joke. But it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

• Advertisement

Arma 3 suffers the same problems, same lack of optimizations. It's a small studio and an ambitious game so It's understandable. Now they are finished the campaign hopefully they can concentrate on the other side of it more and dayz too.

Give dayz time . I remember arma 2 when It first came out god damn for months it was a joke. But it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

At current state Arma 3 looks and runs better then DayZ standalone. Plus it feels so damn much better too. The gun handling alone is such a huge improvement.

Advertisement