Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The Notorious" Conor McGregor documentary airs 9.30pm Thursday (13 March) on RTE TWO

• 11-03-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Our Conor McGregor documentary airs this Thursday 13th March 2014 at 9.30pm GMT on RTE TWO in Ireland

You can watch online at rte.ie/live in Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Geo-blocked elsewhere. A little proxy app will help you around that though! Apparently "Hola" is the best free one

Any questions about the documentary, post them here and I will try to answer (within reason lol)

Please tune in on TV or online and show RTE the support behind MMA in Ireland!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Fair play guys! Congrats on this! I'll be tuning in as will everyone else in my house because I have the remote and screw them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I don't have RTE but delighted to hear I can watch it live on the RTA site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Looking forward to this. Good job lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hola not working for me, crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Really well put together documentary. I really enjoyed it.
    Good work lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say I enjoyed that. Very well made show lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

That really made me excited for July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

He could have bought his ma a new kettle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Superbly made documentary. Kudos to the production team.

The UFC should buy the rights to it and screen it on fight pass ahead of his next fight to help hype it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I have to say, I really admire his positivity. He came across very well.
    I can see mma gyms getting lots of new members tomorrow after watching that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I was fairly on the fence about him but must say, he came across extremely well. Funny, smart arsed yet polite, respectful and well mannered at the right times.

Gutted I can't make it back for the fight. Our company has a stop-leave policy on Around the time of the world cup that lasts 6 weeks so won't get back for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I said it before and I'll say it again, the man is possibly THE biggest role model and inspiration for young people from Ireland that has come to prominence in the last 2 years or so.

Hopefully Irish MMA gets bigger and better and the public become more accepting of it as a result.

Great job with the doc lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Thanks lads

If you missed the documentary and want to watch it, it is available for the next 21 days on RTE player

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10262596/

If "this content is currently not available in your region" then apparently "Hola" or "Media Hint" proxy apps will work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Delighted to see how he came across in the documentary. Was worried about what exactly the focus would be and hoped it wouldn't be his 'extravagant' lifestyle. Loved how it was done though. Focused on his mentality, work ethic and his pure passion came across in bucket loads.

Great job SevereMMA. Credit to everyone involved.

One Q though, there's a shot of Pendred and Conor in the trailer that I didn't see in the documentary. It's a 1:02 of the doc. Curious, what/where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

That shot from the trailer was as they were leaving the "stage" of the Late Late show, the first time they were on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I said it before and I'll say it again, the man is possibly THE biggest role model and inspiration for young people from Ireland that has come to prominence in the last 2 years or so.

Hopefully Irish MMA gets bigger and better and the public become more accepting of it as a result.

Ah now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

SevereMMA wrote: »
    That shot from the trailer was as they were leaving the "stage" of the Late Late show, the first time they were on

Ah should've realised that. Cheers lads.

Great to see Cathal in it, if only for that brief look at them training together. Interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Here's the documentary if anyone needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Cheers for posting that zenno. Quality documentary.

Aside - I imagine it could have ended in a better location than the Blackforge but what can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

zenno wrote: »
    Here's the documentary if anyone needs it.

You can see the kettle there in the background, fire hazard.

Great documentary, a likeable chap and i can't wait to see him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Brilliant doc lads well done! Better quality than most other RTE stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Tony McGregor's excitment about the 3D Muhammad Ali poster was the best part of the show. I pissed myself when he came back into the room looking for it. Seems like a great guy. The family came across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Haven't had chance to watch this yet, looking forward to it!

I think many people have initial misconceptions about Conor, probably because MMA fighters gets labelled 'cage fighters' which comes with it's own connotations, but also because he can appear cocky, arrogant, and maybe a little cringey at times. However when you really follow him and get to know his character (as well as you can via the Internet), he really comes across as a respectful, intelligent, grateful guy who is simply proud of where he is from and who he represents. He's constantly promoting positivity and Ireland which I think is awesome. He (in my opinion) is hilarious and has bags of charisma, which you need in a sport which is essentially entertainment. Ali would be nowhere as revered as he is now but for his character and the way he promoted himself. There's a thin line between cockiness and confidence, and we as Irish people are probably guilty of mistaking confidence for cockiness more than anyone. Conor has to be confident, think he's the best etc, otherwise he wouldn't have the same passion and desire for what he does.

At the end of the day everyone who meets him doesn't have a bad word to say about him, so more power to him I say!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great documentary, nicely shot!

Its great to see both Conor and John K both work for their dream and grab it. Why shouldnt he be happy with himself!

Nice job SevereMMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

id tend to agree with that.

Too many Irish athletes and sporting heros are quite frankly knobheads that jump country, then come back with a stupid English accent.

McGregor is a breath of fresh air. Ok, he's a cocky little fecker, but so what, isnt it great to see an irish guy representing the Irish flag in such a positive manner. There's no "token paddy" with him. He's there to win, and he's nevr ashamed of his irishness. I for one think he's brilliant.

I havent got children myself, but id rather a child of mine look up to McGregor than some douche bag footballer that cares about nothing more than riding the latest page 3 girl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

A documentary? If he actually beats a top ten fighter will he get a life story feature length film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I enjoyed that. Conor is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

gallag wrote: »
    A documentary? If he actually beats a top ten fighter will he get a life story feature length film?

I feel sorry for guys with your attitude. This is a good documentary, produced by an Irish team, about a successful Irish athlete. How about getting behind something Irish rather than whining about it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Doubs wrote: »
    I feel sorry for guys with your attitude. This is a good documentary, produced by an Irish team, about a successful Irish athlete. How about getting behind something Irish rather than whining about it?

Successful? He'll need to do something more than just being irish before claiming success, he is just Chale sonnoning a career, all this hype and not a top ten fighter beat!! It just seems ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

There's always one...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Great documentary I really enjoyed it. The bit that said John Kavanagh is one of the best mma coaches in Europe got me thinking, surely he is now THE best mma coach in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Some of us would say he's one of if not the best coach in the world. But then, we'd be biased. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Ah there it is, the infamous Irish begrudgery

^^^^^One of the reasons most decent posters left this board. That and a crap mod system.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What do you want us to do? Remove the guys post? He's not saying anything offensive and he's entitled to hold and express an opinion.

General feeling from this forum is not to say anything bad against Conor.If you do thread gets derailed by other posters disagreeing with the post.

If Conor was not Irish he might only be mentioned once or twice here during the fight card he is on.

At 1st Conor came across to me as very arrogant and 2 big for his boots but he's starting to grow on me.Looking at his old interviews his confidence has grown, Conor has made it compare him to and kid growing up playing soccer and making it to the premier league and playing for man utd Chelsea etc.

After watching the documentary I starting to like him and wish him well.

I want to see him get a tough fight go through a war and that will put end to all the doubts.

Jeremy Stephenson is the fight I want to see

Yeah, its true, if he wasnt Irish we wouldnt be talking about him nearly as much... but he is! And no one can deny that he has done the best so far of all the irish fighters who are trying to make it into the UFC.
    And I agree with you, sometimes his relentless confidence and swagger grate but I think some of it is exuberance of youth and of fulfilling his dreams... he must feel on top of the world. I wish him well hope he wins the belt!

If people want to disagree or criticise CMcG, they are free to, but if they want the post to be respected then their posts should have some substance to it rather than seeming like sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I enjoyed the documentary myself. I like Conor McGregor's colourful attitude towards determination to constantly perfect himself for the sport, and he has a charm within him of being honest and serious with a good healthy dose of humour. I wish him the best of luck, and I hope he does well because he most definitely has a gift.

It was a well made documentary in my personal opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

dave1982 wrote: »
    Jeremy Stephenson is the fight I want to see

Jeremy Stephens has 2 daughters no son!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Just can't warm to his personality at all, far too disingenuous, even when he isn't in "entertainer" mode. And what is going on with his accent? It changes mid sentence at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Yeah, before this documentary I honestly thought he was from a rough family living in a council estate. Looking at his dad and the way he speaks I don't understand why he puts on such an accent.

Yeah, before this documentary I honestly thought he was from a rough family living in a council estate. Looking at his dad and the way he speaks I don't understand why he puts on such an accent.

Yes his home looked very nice too, buut Conor is the GOAT :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ah there it is, the infamous Irish begrudgery

American man pulls up beside a Ferrari. " one day I'm gonna have a car like that "
    Irish man pulls up beside a Ferrari
    " one day I'm gonna get that bastard "

Just got around to watching this now. Very well put together doc. The lads should be proud of themselves.

Conor came across very well of course. His determination, his drive, his dedication to the sport and himself is great.

Still wish he'd stop with the accent. At first I thought it might be just him pronouncing words differently to get his accent across but the more it goes on I think it's just him putting on an accent. The scene where they caught him just as he was out of bed showed him in "non act" mode. He wasn't putting on the show man act and, more importantly, he wasn't putting on the accent. I'd like to see more of the "real" CMcG.

Aside from that stuff, there's no denying that the guy is a huge talent. I'm really glad that he's fighting someone like Cole Miller next (if so) who, while very tough, isn't a Top 10 guy so early in his career and so soon after a major injury.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just got around to watching this now. Very well put together doc. The lads should be proud of themselves.

Conor came across very well of course. His determination, his drive, his dedication to the sport and himself is great.

Still wish he'd stop with the accent. At first I thought it might be just him pronouncing words differently to get his accent across but the more it goes on I think it's just him putting on an accent. The scene where they caught him just as he was out of bed showed him in "non act" mode. He wasn't putting on the show man act and, more importantly, he wasn't putting on the accent. I'd like to see more of the "real" CMcG.

Aside from that stuff, there's no denying that the guy is a huge talent. I'm really glad that he's fighting someone like Cole Miller next (if so) who, while very tough, isn't a Top 10 guy so early in his career and so soon after a major injury.

He talks like that so people understand him. He has a very heavy Dub accent which doesn't exactly translate well outside of Ireland. This coming from a Dub who lives in Malta - I talk differently to my Maltese friends than I do with my English/Irish friends.

He talks like that so people understand him. He has a very heavy Dub accent which doesn't exactly translate well outside of Ireland. This coming from a Dub who lives in Malta - I talk differently to my Maltese friends than I do with my English/Irish friends.

Yeah, I used to live in Spain and I know exactly how it goes. But the more I listen the more it sounds like he's putting on an accent.

I've heard him speak in the company of just Dubs and he still does it

MrStuffins wrote: »

:rolleyes: You really have too much time on your hands man.

:rolleyes: You really have too much time on your hands man.

For what exactly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement