Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Au Pair in home

Options
  • 11-03-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

An Au pair is arriving in a few weeks and I'm sorting out paperwork. And it occurred to me how would we go about covering her in our home.

Now, it appears that it's not regulated here but I we'd like to follow best practice. Can't find any info online or on the Au pair website.

I am looking into health insurance but in regards to insurance in the home - anyone have any advice/experience here?

Thanks v much,
    Quad

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am not sure but generally i think au pairs are covered under house insurance and you can add them to your car insurance.
    For childminders Kidd insurance would be the main insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

They could get their E1-11 also if european before coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

from an employers liability point of view any good home insurance policy provides cover for domestic employees, and that is what an au pair is, so if she fell and hurt herself and sued you would be covered.
    It might be no harm to contact your insurance company just to confirm it is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Quick one on this:

Our policy only covers domestic workers if they are not live-in, ad not full-time.
    That needs a different policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Esho wrote: »
    Quick one on this:

Our policy only covers domestic workers if they are not live-in, ad not full-time.
    That needs a different policy.

Also, if your Au-pair becomes pregnant while working for you, you are liable to pay for her maternity benefit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There is no onus on an employer to pay maternity pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

billie1b wrote: »
    Also, if your Au-pair becomes pregnant while working for you, you are liable to pay for her maternity benefit

No employer ever pays maternity benefit, this is always paid by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Well if Billie got the Au Pair pregnant, there may indeed be some liability ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Well if Billie got the Au Pair pregnant, there may indeed be some liability ;)

:D

Advertisement