Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd vs Liverpool; March 16th; 13:30pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Unless United have Messi on the bench as a ringer under the name Wellbeck, then this game is toast.

It'll end up 3 or 4 to Liverpool. Simple as.

I still don't think this necessarily underlines Liverpools title credentials though. The City and Chelsea ties will decide that.

All this shows is how awful United are.

I'm by now fully convinced the "Moyes Needs Time" brigade need sectioning under the Mental Health Act.

Are you trying to start a Welbeck is better than Messi debate now the welbeck is better than Sturridge debate is over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Bare in mind i am Liverpool ;) ... but the guy is clearly not fitting in with the system and is struggling. Body language is all wrong. Rooney at least seems to be fired up.

... Drop him. Just keep Moyse. got that KEEP HIM ;)
    Agreed. We actually need ManYoo to win a couple of games now. Otherwise Moyesey might get sacked. Disaster if that happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. We actually need ManYoo to win a couple of games now. Otherwise Moyesey might get sacked. Disaster if that happens!

Ha Ha my thoughts exactly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Felexicon wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that every time a defender commits to a challenge and doesn't get the ball it's a penalty. Regardless of contact or anything else?

Good lad

Nope, that's not what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

couldnt believe how bad utd played today a gutless performance by so many of them as I thought they would really be up for it. They have no style of play or plan under Moyes the total opposite to what liverpool have.Two more defeats olympiakos and city and he may actually get sacked. The City game will be the first time in my life I'll actually be hoping utd win. Strange times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

monkey9 wrote: »

As good as. You said that because Vidic dived in that the penalty was justified despite the fact that he never touched Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    How's this for fence sitting:

I think one of the two teams will cut loose on the day. This isn't going to be close, it's going to be a 3+ winning margin. The rub of it is that either side could be victorious. I also think it highly unlikely that 22 players are left on the pitch at the end. Expect one set of fans to be very happy Sunday night with the other stewing over a couple of refereeing decisions.

ngbbs4bd3707f3efe5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

As good as. You said that because Vidic dived in that the penalty was justified despite the fact that he never touched Sturridge.

He did stop Sturridge getting the ball even though there was no contact. Vidic should be no where near that team. His head is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

niallo27 wrote: »
    He did stop Sturridge getting the ball even though there was no contact. Vidic should be no where near that team. His head is gone.

Sturridge didn't get the ball because he decided to dive. No matter what idiotic spin you put on it, he decided to tumble with zero contact

niallo27 wrote: »

Defender stopping an attackergetting to the ball without touching him is a penalty?

Dig up Diablo, dig up

• Advertisement

Sturridge didn't get the ball because he decided to dive. No matter what idiotic spin you put on it, he decided to tumble with zero contact

I'll have to see it again but vidic was foolish diving in like that.

Defender stopping an attackergetting to the ball without touching him is a penalty?

Dig up Diablo, dig up

I never said it should be a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Gerrard didn't score this dubious penalty. And yet 0-3, like. So...

monkey9 wrote: »

Do you think it was a pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Grayditch wrote: »
    Gerrard didn't score this dubious penalty. And yet 0-3, like. So...

Aye, and 2 peno's were denied, Raphael stayed one the pitch when he should have walked a lot earlier than Vidic did. Swings and Roundabouts, these things even themselves out etc, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

You know the gig is up when your fans are definitely trying to show they are the best fans in the world in the face of defeat. The happy losers... I'd be seething personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

You know the gig is up when your fans are definitely trying to show they are the best fans in the world in the face of defeat. The happy losers... I'd be seething personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Sz9S0bU.jpg

:pac::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,281 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

gary neville did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Remember this? Typical hypocrisy.

Best post ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Cyrus wrote: »
    gary neville did

Well he is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i have to say gary neville was fantastic again on commentary today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

blueser wrote: »

Tuesday week V Man City would be a wonderful win for him

Tuesday week V Man City would be a wonderful win for him
    Harumph!

• Advertisement

Gwan the Pool.

Utd very fortunate to only lose by 3. Total domination by Liverpool today.

Moyes brand of football really is terrible, pure static. Crossing everything that's he's there for the long haul.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Well he is wrong.

he really wasnt

gary neville did

Appeal to authority argument.

Appeal to authority argument.

what?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Looking at the goals just now, I'm surprised Henderson hasn't been called out for encroaching, especially on the first penalty, something I've seen him do before. He's nearly ahead of Gerrard by the time the ball hits the net.

Dangerous game. If I was a keeper, I'd be suggesting to the ref to watch him.

• Advertisement

what?

You're only point for it being a penalty was that Neville said it was.
    Your argument is essentially that Neville is a pundit and ex pro so he must know everything about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

dfx- wrote: »
    Looking at the goals just now, I'm surprised Henderson hasn't been called out for encroaching, especially on the first penalty, something I've seen him do before. He's nearly ahead of Gerrard by the time the ball hits the net.

Its a fine line but i think he has it down to an art. Hasn't crossed the line before the ball is kicked and there are Utd players ahead of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He definitely enters the D by the time the ball is kicked, but he does it from a long run up so might be missed by the referee.

Imagine the Fulham penalty being hauled back for encroaching and the retake being missed..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Its he's hips, he can't control himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Today just emphasised something for me that I'd already been thinking. Why is Mata largely escaping the criticism that Ozil has been widely receiving from all angles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Clattenberg made Arteta re-take a penalty last week for encroachment. The prat.

He definitely enters the D by the time the ball is kicked, but he does it from a long run up so might be missed by the referee.

Imagine the Fulham penalty being hauled back for encroaching and the retake being missed..

I suppose.

I think sometimes ref's are fairly lenient about players being in the D. But if you look at the second goal for example, there are two Utd players in the box at the time the ball is kicked.

But I can see where you're coming from. If I was a keeper I try putting the thought into a ref's head.

Clattenberg made Arteta re-take a penalty last week for encroachment. The prat.

Didn't know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You're only point for it being a penalty was that Neville said it was.
    Your argument is essentially that Neville is a pundit and ex pro so he must know everything about football.

Well David Moyes is an ex-player and knows nothing about football so that argument is moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

5live wrote: »
    Well David Moyes is an ex-player and knows nothing about football so that argument is moot.

Don't be stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

CSF wrote: »
    Today just emphasised something for me that I'd already been thinking. Why is Mata largely escaping the criticism that Ozil has been widely receiving from all angles?

because he's proved himself over two seasons Ozil meh they could have had Suarez for £40,000,002

would have loved mata at Liverpool I think ya got a great player there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Grayditch wrote: »
    I doubt Torres will show up.

He did...in another guise.

CSF wrote: »

Because Mata is being deployed by a manager who does not have a bog what's going on.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Because Mata is being deployed by a manager who does not have a bog what's going on.

And Ozil is adjusting to a very different league. They both have semi-legit excuses for not lighting the world up for their new clubs (Ozil has arguably had the greater impact) but one is the target of everything the public/media can throw at them and the other seems to get off without a word of criticism. It's odd.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    because he's proved himself over two seasons Ozil meh they could have had Suarez for £40,000,002

would have loved mata at Liverpool I think ya got a great player there

Id like to think I don't have to educate you on what Ozil has done over the last 2 seasons too.

I don't think it was a penalty, but completely understandable why the ref gave it. Sturridge did what happens for most penalties, he anticipated the contact. Everyone knows players do this. In this case, the contact didn't arrive.

It's not like the two were running side by side and out of nowhere Sturridge just dived for no reason. Vidic flew into a tackle in the box and got absolutely nowhere near the ball. Once that happens, it's tough sh!t if the ref awards a penalty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Mata just doesnt look right in that United team. He may decide to move on

My motto is "go down cheaply in the box, and see what happens".

I think that's unlikely. This is definitely better for him than where he has just come from. I think if there were better options available he may have already taken them in January.

• Advertisement

I think if he knew then what he knows now, he might not have moved. Not to United anyway. He obviously was surplus to requirements at Chelsea, so a move was in his best interests. I'm sure some club on the continent would have taken him, and it would have been a better move for him. Very good player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement