Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd vs Liverpool; March 16th; 13:30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vidic slid across the front of sturridge. He didn't touch him but he stoped his run. It was madness sliding in like that. He was no where near the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,281 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Felexicon wrote: »
    You're only point for it being a penalty was that Neville said it was.
    Your argument is essentially that Neville is a pundit and ex pro so he must know everything about football.

My point was he is naturally biased towards United yet he still felt that vidics actions meant he could have no arguments , it was a reckless challenge and he shouldn't have made it.

Also, Neville should know more about it than you being an ex pro and all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I really thought Mata would be making United click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

niallo27 wrote: »
    Vidic slid across the front of sturridge. He didn't touch him but he stoped his run. It was madness sliding in like that. He was no where near the ball.

I can't believe that anybody watching it 'real time' didn't think it was a penalty (Moyes included as tv footage showed at the time). That's the only time a referee has to make a decision. Vidic made it easy for the referee to give a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Grayditch wrote: »

I always considered this a likelihood. Moyes needed to change the tactics to accommodate him, but hasn't really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im so happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Mata just doesnt look right in that United team. He may decide to move on

He was probably given a reasonably realistic assessment of where the side is right now along with a very optimistic assessment of where Moyes wants to take the side from next season on. A top four finish may have been tentatively dangled in front if him but it was always more of an outside chance. Mata will be at United for at least two years, if things haven't improved by then losing Juan Mata may well be the least of our concerns, although throwing enough money at new signings may have a positive enough effect to get us back into next year's top four, as the top four looks like it is becoming a much less fixed entity at the moment and will probably continue to follow this pattern for the next few seasons. It's hard to be optimistic right now but it does seem as if a lot of our current problems are ones Ferguson may have thrown in Moyes' lap with their fuses about to reach the end. It would be nice to get a Hiddink or maybe anyone else at all right now but it won't happen so we have to be patient( I know) and have some level of faith, although another poor start next year and in 12 months we will undoubtedly be talking about. Moyes in the past tense.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Mourhino knew what he was doing. he got good money for Mata and knew that utd were not a threat anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

United are by no means falling apart. They're having a bad season, but they won't be in the doldrums for long. They have too much money and too big a fanbase for that to happen.

I'd never revel in a club going out of business or actually falling apart.

They are not having a bad season. Apart from the recent period wherein Ferguson was in charge, this is about where they belong. Six titles in all the years without Ferguson. Will there ever be a seventh?

°°°°°

mitosis wrote: »
    They are not having a bad season. Apart from the recent period wherein Ferguson was in charge, this is about where they belong. Six titles in all the years without Ferguson. Will there ever be a seventh?

That is a bizarre statement. Liverpool were in dire straits before Bill Shankley took over. By your logic Liverpool belong in the championship. Every successful club has had fallow periods. United and Liverpool have both had spells out of the top flight in the post war era yet they have 38 league title between them. You might think clubs 'belong' in certain positions because of your own bias but football clubs generally belong anywhere at any time based solely on merit alone.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they had 7 titles when Fergie took over, they were also the most successful FA cup side. At the time they were one of the biggest clubs in England and probably underperforming relative to their status. They're now the biggest club by quite a distance so to suggest that scrapping it out for the Europa League spots is their natural level is ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

loyatemu wrote: »
    they had 7 titles when Fergie took over, they were also the most successful FA cup side. At the time they were one of the biggest clubs in England and probably underperforming relative to their status. They're now the biggest club by quite a distance so to suggest that scrapping it out for the Europa League spots is their natural level is ludicrous.

All joking aside, the table doesn't lie. It hasn't for the last 24 years for Liverpool and it didn't start now just for manU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Yeah let's forget that Chelsea finished 6th a few years ago, they must be near 10th these days such is the downward spiral

Anyone got the league table on hand to check where Chelsea sit? Is it 10th, or even 11th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Apart from the recent period.....so the last 27 years. Some period. Football teams can go from world beaters to bust in less than that. There's no "natural position" in football for a team from their inception - fact is they were one of the top clubs under Fergie, and that shouldn't change in the space of 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Cyrus wrote: »
    My point was he is naturally biased towards United yet he still felt that vidics actions meant he could have no arguments , it was a reckless challenge and he shouldn't have made it.

Also, Neville should know more about it than you being an ex pro and all :)

Give one example of Neville showing any kind of bias towards United since he has taken up his punditry role.

I actually feel he sometimes goes out of his way to show he does not favour United. One example being the piece he did on DeGea in his first season at United. Neville slated him but has not done the same for any other keeper going through such a bad run of form. Joe Hart is one who probably warranted the same actions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Felexicon wrote: »
    Give one example of Neville showing any kind of bias towards United since he has taken up his punditry role.

I actually feel he sometimes goes out of his way to show he does not favour United. One example being the piece he did on DeGea in his first season at United. Neville slated him but has not done the same for any other keeper going through such a bad run of form. Joe Hart is one who probably warranted the same actions
    To be fair to Neville (not easy for us City fans to do!), he's been scrupulously impartial in his punditry since joining Sky. Indeed, there's a view on RedCafe that he has ''overcompensated'' and is now unfairly harsh on ManYoo. Whatever; along with Souness and (despite that accent) Carragher, he's one of the best pundits out there. Street ahead of the walking dead on MOTD or on ITV'S lamentable football coverage.

Neville is streets ahead of both Souness and Carragher when not talking about United.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Neville is streets ahead of both Souness and Carragher when not talking about United.

talk about clutching at straws for a man u v liverpool win! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

we'll give you that one though, Neville is the best pundit around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Apart from the recent period.....so the last 27 years. Some period. Football teams can go from world beaters to bust in less than that. There's no "natural position" in football for a team from their inception - fact is they were one of the top clubs under Fergie, and that shouldn't change in the space of 9 months.

It's looks likely that it is going to change for the short term at least anyway.

CL looks unlikely. Top teams complete in that.

They may reemerge next season but at the moment they are on tot a top team so it has changed in 9 months.

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »

You'll see the man city fan above my post brought it up, so you're wrong.

This is dead funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Wonder will the old English boyos on MOTD call Sturridge out on his dive and give him good grief. No place in the game, etc. god knows it would be said if he was Irish or anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Neeson wrote: »
    Wonder will the old English boyos on MOTD call Sturridge out on his dive and give him good grief. No place in the game, etc. god knows it would be said if he was Irish or anything else.

Hell probably get it as tough as young gets it...oh hold on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Carrick kicks sturridge. He roars in sturridge face for diving and then chases ref to book him for diving. The bloke is bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Very impressive the way the Utd fans put on their plastic seat costumes so quickly after the third goal went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Hell probably get it as tough as young gets it...oh hold on?

Forgot about him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

nullzero wrote: »
    That is a bizarre statement. Liverpool were in dire straits before Bill Shankley took over. By your logic Liverpool belong in the championship. Every successful club has had fallow periods. United and Liverpool have both had spells out of the top flight in the post war era yet they have 38 league title between them. You might think clubs 'belong' in certain positions because of your own bias but football clubs generally belong anywhere at any time based solely on merit alone.

What's my bias? I merely observe that if you take the tenure of one exceptional manager out of the equation they are doing averagely. The tenure of one manager is not their entire history, whoever the club may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are clicking in the way my knees sometimes do in the cold weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

It must have been a wrong turn united took after that all conquering display against WBA, I thought they were back, Fellaini was a footballing genius etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he doesn't really have a chance to in such a rigid, static system.

Mata needs movement and fluidity around him so he can weave some patterns in between the lines. he has little chance to show that in Moyes' United.

Neeson wrote: »

They didn't call Rooney out on his dive into Skrtel anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just watched the highlites on match of the day, bloody hell, it's been a long long time since I saw man-u completely played off the park so much at old trafford. It was complete domination from liverpool

°°°°°

What's my bias? I merely observe that if you take the tenure of one exceptional manager out of the equation they are doing averagely. The tenure of one manager is not their entire history, whoever the club may be.

I'm.assuming your a Liverpool fan which would be your bias. You can.take Fergusons tenure out of the equation of you like but then we can take Shankley and Paisley's eras away from Liverpool too by your logic, if you can call that logic. You don't like United, I get it but your argument is bizarre.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pissed drink and loving it lads. Come on the us the we the pool. Anyone that posted in the match thread is a not a fan. I believe.
    The truth is out there.
    The Rodgers and the salmon of the knowledge. Salmon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pissed drink and loving it lads. Come on the us the we the pool. Anyone that posted in the match thread is a not a fan. I believe.
    The truth is out there.
    barneyburps.gif

The truth is out there.

The salmon of knowledge!! :pac: You, drunken sir, are hilarious!

monkey9 wrote: »
    The salmon of knowledge!! :pac: You, drunken sir, are hilarious!

Great night. Curry cheese chips, drink, a shag and no Utd fAns wanting to see me.
    I believe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The truth is out there.

Pleasure overload.......

h8E03A430

To Utd fans sorry I tought I posted in the Liverpool thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No idea how any Manchester United fan could stick behind Moyes now. It's clear he's completely out of his depth. Bought Mata when the chance came up purely to get the fans on his side and has no idea how to use him. Fellaini was a massive panic buy and is never in a million years a Champions League standard player. £65m wasted. He got the job purely because he's Fergie's mate and should be put out of his misery now.

Well done to Liverpool. Rodgers has Liverpool playing a system (in complete contrast to what Manchester United are doing) and they are doing extremely well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Paully D wrote: »
    No idea how any Manchester United fan could stick behind Moyes now. It's clear he's completely out of his depth. Bought Mata when the chance came up purely to get the fans on his side and has no idea how to use him.l.
    Kagawa II at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

We are Liverpool sha la la la la

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If Fellaini plays, we win. remember that game against West Brom...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

djPSB wrote: »
    We are Liverpool sha la la la la

That's been going on in my head non stop for more than 12 hours, and many pints. Impending sleep might remove it, temporarily at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Another truly tremendous hater match thread imo

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Another truly tremendous hater match thread imo

You better make yourself available for starting match threads from here on in. :)

Just need a template OP from LL that a mod can post up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I thought I would get loads of thanks for this to make up for the fact that I didn't have a bet.

Liverpool fans certainly enjoying their moment! I can tell you from experience that the pleasure will wear off after a while.

happy now?! :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement