Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcyclist dies in suspected hit and run

Options
  • 11-03-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

A motorcyclist has died in a road crash on the South Ring Road in Co Cork.

The man's motorcycle was involved in a collision with a car on the eastbound carriageway of the road between the Kinsale Road roundabout and the off-ramp for Douglas just before midday.

He is believed to have died at the scene.

His body has been removed to Cork University Hospital.

Gardaí believe the car involved may have been a black BMW or Honda convertible sports car.

They are appealing for the driver of the car to come forward.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0311/601531-rtc/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

May he Rest in Peace.
    A terrible tragedy for his family.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Very sad story. It explains the weird delays there at 2.30 this afternoon though - I could just see a recovery truck packing up cones and I wondered if there had been an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Faith wrote: »
    Very sad story. It explains the weird delays there at 2.30 this afternoon though - I could just see a recovery truck packing up cones and I wondered if there had been an accident.

Thrown from one carriageway to the other after the car clipped him I believe.

Sounds horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

oh no poor man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

He was only 27, no age at all......

Worth keeping an eye open on any damaged BMW's or Civics while you're driving. I understand they may be able to get a registration plate fairly soon as they there are cameras all over the Kinsale which is the direction the car came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Unfortunately, I happened to pass this accident not long after it happened today. Horrific sight to see the tent up around the poor young lad. His bike was in bits on the inside lane heading east and up ahead in the same lane was a small silver car with the right hand tail side all bashed in. It looked like he ran into the back of it somehow. I heard the appeal on the radio later for the dark convertible so maybe he clipped the silver car after the convertible hit him.

My heart goes out to his poor family. As someone who once got one of those dreaded middle of the night phone calls from A&E to say a loved one had been in an accident (fortunately not fatal but serious enough at the time) I know the horror they felt when that call came.

It's been on my mind all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RIP to the poor young man.

Thoughts with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Woudnt surprise me if the person who clipped him didn't even notice people need to pay more attention on the roads.. I hope the person comes forward for everybodys sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's a dangerous piece of road. You often see cars coming up the slip road and cutting across 4 lanes to get to the fast lane. It was only a matter of time before there was a serious accident there. Very sad it happened to be a motorcyclist. Poor family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

RIP. - What a tragedy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I agree. It was only a matter of time.

RIP to the biker and condolences to his family....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Hit and run. ....
    Where did you get your info from. .

Geez. Jumping to conclusions, without knowing the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

pa990 wrote: »
    Hit and run. ....

what did happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

pa990 wrote: »
    Hit and run. ....

The man's motorcycle was involved in a collision with a car on the eastbound carriageway of the road between the Kinsale Road roundabout and the off-ramp for Douglas just before midday.

He is believed to have died at the scene.

His body has been removed to Cork University Hospital.

Gardaí believe the car involved may have been a black BMW or Honda convertible sports car.

They are appealing for the driver of the car to come forward.

OP got info from the news and Guards, going by news the Guards are looking for car involved driver to come forward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've read several reports that the car Gardai are looking for did not hit the motorcyclist, but seemed to have been involved in a race, at extreme speeds, with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

I've read several reports that the car Gardai are looking for did not hit the motorcyclist, but seemed to have been involved in a race, at extreme speeds, with him.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

pwurple wrote: »
    That's a dangerous piece of road. You often see cars coming up the slip road and cutting across 4 lanes to get to the fast lane. It was only a matter of time before there was a serious accident there. Very sad it happened to be a motorcyclist. Poor family.

Really sad, but agree on the above, nearly hit a motorbike myself last year, guy came from very far left lane across all 4 and sped off towards the tunnel. scared the bejesus out of me the speed he was going

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That's a dangerous piece of road. You often see cars coming up the slip road and cutting across 4 lanes to get to the fast lane.

It'd probably never happen but a lower speed limit probably needs to be applied there. You have a huge volume of traffic trying to merge at 100kph. I think everyone has probably had a near miss there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Misfortunate young man. RIP. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Horrendous sounding accident.

talking to a guy i work with who drives a motorbike and he said that it is more than possible that given the probable speeds involved it is quite likely the car driver may not have even felt the clip which caused the accident. So to say "hit and run" could be at best misguided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I agree. It was only a matter of time.

RIP to the biker and condolences to his family....

Awful to hear this but as has been said it was something that I am surprised does not happen more often at that part of the motorway...

Two things:

1) Poorly designed sliproad that merges too quickly with the motorway so soon after a flyover
    2) Too many poor and ignorant drivers that are way too keen to get out into the outer lanes quickly

You would often see people enter the motorway and swerve right across the lanes into the outer most overtaking lane

There is an inner lane that people seem unwilling to use

As Irish drivers (or maybe it's just drivers in general) are unable to "behave" themselves on the road then it is up to the designers to take some of the choices away from them. Put up bollards so that you cannot merge from the sliproad until closer to Douglas for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

kcb wrote: »
    As Irish drivers (or maybe it's just drivers in general)..
    From my experience it's just drivers in general. Nothing local about it.
    Driven in a few parts of the US, and seen some mad stuff when cars are joining a 4/5 lane motorway.

From my experience it's just drivers in general. Nothing local about it.
    Driven in a few parts of the US, and seen some mad stuff when cars are joining a 4/5 lane motorway.

I just find that Irish people find motorways difficult. We aren't used to them to be fair. The amount of people that refer to the "Fast lane" rather than the over-taking lane, and same people who then cruise along for miles in the over-taking lane. Part of the danger at that junction by the flyover is people's odd desire to make it into the "Fast lane" as quickly as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Awful to hear this but as has been said it was something that I am surprised does not happen more often at that part of the motorway...

Two things:

1) Poorly designed sliproad that merges too quickly with the motorway so soon after a flyover
    2) Too many poor and ignorant drivers that are way too keen to get out into the outer lanes quickly

You would often see people enter the motorway and swerve right across the lanes into the outer most overtaking lane

There is an inner lane that people seem unwilling to use

As Irish drivers (or maybe it's just drivers in general) are unable to "behave" themselves on the road then it is up to the designers to take some of the choices away from them. Put up bollards so that you cannot merge from the sliproad until closer to Douglas for a start.

The SRR isn't a Motorway. Never has been, probably never will be bar the Ballincollig bypass section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

TINA1984 wrote: »
    The SRR isn't a Motorway. Never has been, probably never will be bar the Ballincollig bypass section.

But given the speed limit of 100kph in places, people treat it as one. Not always successfully as we've seen from the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP to the deceased and my prayers are with his family and friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

people who then cruise along for miles in the over-taking lane
    I've seen that in a number of the countries I've been in, not just an Irish thing.

TINA1984 wrote: »

Wrong choice of words. Dual-carriageway I should have said.

I still think Ireland is the worst I have seen for people's desire to sit in the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

UK motorways are littered with middle lane hoggers.

I've never understood it - I had a bad blow out a few years back while I was on the inside lane - fortunately the car careered left onto the hard shoulder. Worse case, it could have put me into the middle lane of traffic, but at least I had a 50/50 chance of the hard shoulder.

If I'd have been in the middle lane, I'd have been potentially been thrown into traffic either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement