Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Arsenal (2:0) Champions League Last 16 2nd leg

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

omega man wrote: »
    Very proud of the team. Not much between them over the 2 legs considering the peno miss and the red card.

We've gone to bayern 2 consecutive years and won 2 nil and drew one all, not many have done that.

And both times Munich have taken a two goal cushion into those matches. They just played the percentages in both of them.

Thought Ox was great for ye tonight. Could have booked his place in Brazil with a performance like that. Fabianski's kicking was piss poor though. All first half he was knocking it to the right where Ozil was constantly being beaten by Alaba in every duel. Second half he decided it might be a good tactic to knock it out of play a few times too. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If I didn't know either team and somebody told me it was an FA Cup match with a Premier League side against a League One side I would have believed it. The League One side got a result but they were outclassed for most of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I disagree with your assessment good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

eagle eye wrote: »
    If I didn't know either team and somebody told me it was an FA Cup match with a Premier League side against a League One side I would have believed it. The League One side got a result but they were outclassed for most of the game.

Id have said it was an European knock out tie with the defending European champions playing at home, dominated possession without creating many clear cut chances and were happy with a draw to see out the game despite the away side having some threatening moments but failed with the critical final pass.

A much more realistic statement than the rubbish above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Thing is Arsenal fans can talk this out whatever way they like but overall it was a pretty comfortable affair for Bayern. Weren't ever in trouble and always in control over both ties.
    And all that missed penalty, red card and what if talk is a lot of horsepoo, conveniently glossing over the fact Podoslskis goal should never have stood, if we're into what ifs and all that.
    And whats with the Robben hate anyway. was clear to see for everyone Kos kicked his ankle 7 yards away from the ref and Robben falls over. Just because it isn't in full flight doesn't mean its not a penalty.

Anyway, same as last year really, Bayern did just about enough at all stages. Last year was closer in fact 'cos there were actually a few minutes where things could have gone wrong. This year it was full control all the way the way I see it. Arsenal did alright and can go home with their heads up but over 120 minutes there wasn't a moment where I thought this could go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Id have said it was an European knock out tie with the defending European champions playing at home, dominated possession without creating many clear cut chances and were happy with a draw to see out the game despite the away side having some threatening moments but failed with the critical final pass.

This bolded part is a bit of a lie tbf. Bayern dominated the tie and could've scored more if Needed. Arsenal's only goal came from a rather fortunate refereeing decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

shano_88 wrote: »
    In what way was he boasting?

Ah shíte.. was meant to reply to omega man, my apologies..

Boskowski wrote: »
    Thing is Arsenal fans can talk this out whatever way they like but overall it was a pretty comfortable affair for Bayern. Weren't ever in trouble and always in control over both ties.
    And all that missed penalty, red card and what if talk is a lot of horsepoo, conveniently glossing over the fact Podoslskis goal should never have stood, if we're into what ifs and all that.
    And whats with the Robben hate anyway. was clear to see for everyone Kos kicked his ankle 7 yards away from the ref and Robben falls over. Just because it isn't in full flight doesn't mean its not a penalty.

Anyway, same as last year really, Bayern did just about enough at all stages. Last year was closer in fact 'cos there were actually a few minutes where things could have gone wrong. This year it was full control all the way the way I see it. Arsenal did alright and can go home with their heads up but over 120 minutes there wasn't a moment where I thought this could go wrong.

Just because theres contact doesnt mean its a foul. Its a contact sport. However I will say the penalty was probably right decision.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Just because theres contact doesnt mean its a foul. Its a contact sport. However I will say the penalty was probably right decision.

I agree with that and I hate all that 'there was contact' talk. But it was really hard to ignore by the ref. He clearly kicks his right ankle, Robben's feet come together and he trips. Again often not given cos not 'clear enough' as in wasn't a full flight tackle with your man rolling over ten times, but Robben certainly didn't dive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Football is no more a contact sport than Basketball is.

10 years ago maybe but not anymore.

irishmover wrote: »
    Football is no more a contact sport than Basketball is.

10 years ago maybe but not anymore.

Its a contact sport that is refereed very poorly.

Its hard for the referees to find middle ground I guess. Twenty years ago you would have seen potential leg/knee/ankle breaking tackles on a regular basis. Now I see brushes and the commentators go like ' there was contact' and you get penalties for it and I find that hard to look at, too. Compare that to your average fully blown wrestling match that goes on in every box for a corner and you don't know anymore where you stand.

Its a contact sport that is refereed very poorly.

Played poorly you mean.

All anyone ever talks about after most games these days is 'dive, diving, he's a diver'.

The players themselves have turned football into a none contact sport and the referees are facilitating it.

The only time I see a referee at fault is when they clearly see that a player has dived and have waved away their claims and played on. No punished for trying to deceive happens in pretty much every game I watch these days.

Its hard for the referees to find middle ground I guess. Twenty years ago you would have seen potential leg/knee/ankle breaking tackles on a regular basis. Now I see brushes and the commentators go like ' there was contact' and you get penalties for it and I find that hard to look at, too. Compare that to your average fully blown wrestling match that goes on in every box for a corner and you don't know anymore where you stand.

This is a complete exaggeration tbh. Bad tackles were more common but hardly a regular occurrence. Punishments weren't as severe granted but they weren't something you'd see once per gameweek or anything.

Players rolling round like they're shot is just a mainstay in the game now and its sad tbh. I mean in a regular game, of all the times you see a player hit the deck rolling around in "agony" what % of the time do you reckon theres a genuine injury? Same question goes for when people get treatment. I'd wager 60%+ of the time not a fcuking thing is wrong with them. Its sad but I suppose its something that we just neeed to get used to hey.

irishmover wrote: »
    Played poorly you mean.

All anyone ever talks about after most games these days is 'dive, diving, he's a diver'.

The players themselves have turned football into a none contact sport and the referees are facilitating it.

The only time I see a referee at fault is when they clearly see that a player has dived and have waved away their claims and played on. No punished for trying to deceive happens in pretty much every game I watch these days.

Don't ever give a foul for a dive and players will stop it. I guarantee. Don't give the standard always given fouls and going down soft will stop. Like if a striker pressures a defender carrying the ball running towards his own goal a foul is almost always given with feck all contact. Apply the same situation in the penalty area and a peno is given feck all of the time. Needs to be a strong level of concistency, one I don't believe will ever be met.

Dealing with the "head injuries" is harder alright, given that 9/10 times a player goes down like we saw martinez do earlier tonight. But if you dont stop play when there's a genuine head injury youre gonna be the worst in the world.

• Advertisement

It's awful though and its the one thing that's really off-putting nowadays. Harldy anyone ever just gets tripped, falls and goes fk ref he tripped me. Its always this rolling around as if the foot nearly came off thing followed by card demands. Its just too much.
    Same with this contesting every single decision. Like you knocked the ball into touch, every one saw it, but yet immediately the arm goes up to claim the throw followed by a shouting match with the ref. Too much.

But maybe we just don't understand the game at the professional level from our sofas and barstools. Must be that at that level thats just the way it is, too much on the line.

Don't ever give a foul for a dive and players will stop it. I guarantee. Don't give the standard always given fouls and going down soft will stop. Like if a striker pressures a defender carrying the ball running towards his own goal a foul is almost always given with feck all contact. Apply the same situation in the penalty area and a peno is given feck all of the time. Needs to be a strong level of concistency, one I don't believe will ever be met.

Dealing with the "head injuries" is harder alright, given that 9/10 times a player goes down like we saw martinez do earlier tonight. But if you dont stop play when there's a genuine head injury youre gonna be the worst in the world.

The art of deceiving is making it believable. Referees see incidents in normal play and award free kicks and penalties based on what they see. I'm fairly certain no referee has given a foul for a dive they've seen as a dive and not a genuine foul.

Either take that out of the referees hands during the game or have the FA of that league hand out post game disciplinary action for diving.

The referee, unless corrupt, is not at fault for a player cheating. Aside from as I mentioned not giving every player they see dive a card.

For example. Kabouls foul on Eto'o which resulted in a penalty and a straight red card was a dive from Eto'o. The FA rescinded Kabouls red but no action was taken on Eto'o. Some could argue that incident had won the game for Chelsea, so essentially deceiving referees into making game changing decisions is not being punished.

Diving will continue until the day people in power decide to retrospectively ban players for 1-3 games for diving.

Edit: Which takes me back to my original point that Football is a non contact sport because the player makes it that way.

I think you have it spot on. Until the powers punish the divers based on aftermatch tv reviews and ban them nothing will change. It really needs to happen and I don't understand how the FAs are so slow to recognise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bayern dominated the game and could have had a bagful of goals only for some desperate defending and poor finishing. Overall it looked very much like a league one team sitting back defending for their lives hoping to get lucky against a top Premier league team.
    If you don't agree with that then fine, but every is entitled to their opinion. There is no rubbish in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

jesus diving. will ye cope on. it was a soft peno and perhaps shouldnt have been a peno but you go in on a player from behind in the box and he will go down. doesnt matter if its robben suarez rooney or giroud, they will go down as soon as they feel contact. saying anything else is just trying to excuse the loss.

arsenal lost last night thats it. but there is no shame in that. they played really well and gave it everything. but away to bayern noone gave them a chance but they showed last night why they where in europe. arsenal are a quality side. but bayern are probably the best team in europe right now, even if people thought they played poor last night. fair play to arsenal. they just need to hold their heads up and move on quickly. they have very tough games against spurs (spurs poor form will count for nothing in this) then they have chelsea and city. if arsenal dont forget about last night they will fall in to a fight for 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Paulegend wrote: »
    jesus diving. will ye cope on. it was a soft peno and perhaps shouldnt have been a peno but you go in on a player from behind in the box and he will go down. doesnt matter if its robben suarez rooney or giroud, they will go down as soon as they feel contact. saying anything else is just trying to excuse the loss.

arsenal lost last night thats it. but there is no shame in that. they played really well and gave it everything. but away to bayern noone gave them a chance but they showed last night why they where in europe. arsenal are a quality side. but bayern are probably the best team in europe right now, even if people thought they played poor last night. fair play to arsenal. they just need to hold their heads up and move on quickly. they have very tough games against spurs (spurs poor form will count for nothing in this) then they have chelsea and city. if arsenal dont forget about last night they will fall in to a fight for 4th

I reckon if it was the penalty in isolation there would be very little said but it did appear there was a sniper in the stand taking potshots at him the entire game.

Fully agree with the rest of your post (for once :pac:).
    I would be surprised if it was dwelt on for too long especially with the game on sunday coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It probably was a penalty in isolation alright but it was the diving the rest of the game that was the issue.

A lot of people mentioning that there could have been a foul for Podolski's goal but Cazorla was penalised for a very soft foul on Martinez (who dived a couple of times himself) when he would have been clean through on goal.

In any case, it doesn't really matter as Bayern were the better team over the two legs and deserved to go through. Just a shame they have to resort to that shite so often.

ronjo wrote: »
    I reckon if it was the penalty in isolation there would be very little said but it did appear there was a sniper in the stand taking potshots at him the entire game.

Fully agree with the rest of your post (for once :pac:).
    I would be surprised if it was dwelt on for too long especially with the game on sunday coming up.

bound to happen eventually with the amount of sh1te i talk to be fair :D

that is Robben though. he is one of the worst by far. was always like that. but you just have to be so careful not to give him an excuse in the box. its a shame when players like him go down.

it use to annoy me with drogs aswell. a player with so much quality using such underhanded tactics. when the reality is if they just played to their natural strengths they could be among the best players on the planet.

yea i think the focus will switch to spurs now. for what its worth i hope ye thrash them. ye beating them should lock up the top 4. i wouldnt even rule arsenal out of the title. 20/1 and ye are 4 points off top..................... you just couldnt beg for odds like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bound to happen eventually with the amount of sh1te i talk to be fair :D

that is Robben though. he is one of the worst by far. was always like that. but you just have to be so careful not to give him an excuse in the box. its a shame when players like him go down.
    <snip>
    I'd put Drogba as a worse culprit, and worse indeed as he has the strength and size to horse lads out of it when it suits him (which he does at times)

Anyhow, was at the game last night and it did seem like Bayern being more cautious than normal but thats understandable.
    They got caught in their last league game against Wolfsburg with an early goal which then only encouraged them and led to an uncomfortable patch (before Wolfsburg tired and they went on to win 6-1 !) so obviously they were happy to let the game plod along and sit back on the 2 away goals.

I'd put Drogba as a worse culprit, and worse indeed as he has the strength and size to horse lads out of it when it suits him (which he does at times)

Anyhow, was at the game last night and it did seem like Bayern being more cautious than normal but thats understandable.
    They got caught in their last league game against Wolfsburg with an early goal which then only encouraged them and led to an uncomfortable patch (before Wolfsburg tired and they went on to win 6-1 !) so obviously they were happy to let the game plod along and sit back on the 2 away goals.

last night it did seem like Bayern where happy to just slow the game down and catch arsenal on the break whenever they could. they tried to pin back arsenal after the equaliser but could have been caught once or twice on the break themselves because of it.

Bayern where not great by any means but they did a "professional" job last night and will probably go on to lift the CL.

it was a good game fro the neutral though

drogba was infuriating. he had strength and pace. he could have went on to be the best striker on the planet with his god given talent. but instead decided that a gust of wind would be enough to earn him a penalty. no doubt he was a "class" (not in the literal sense) act, but he would have been perceived as better if he wasnt such a d1ck on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

It was a peno, the guy kicked him twice and didn't need to be up his arse when he had his back to goal. Naive defending and Robben took advantage. Wenger is only going on about diving to deflect the attention away from his team.

Bayern were on a 2 away goal lead. They didn't need to do anything but not lose. They were in second gear for most of the game and could have had a few goals in the first half, dominated possession and seen it out in a good manner. As a neutral, i'd have loved to see Arsenal go for it a little more especially in the opening minutes, they lacked belief. An early goal would have been great, instead they left it late and although people say Bayern panicked when they lost the goal thats normal.

Very dissapointed in the last 20 mins when they knew they needed to score 2 they barely got forward and turned over possession far too easily and flattered to deceive. Bayern were simply too powerful and technical for them - how often do you say that about Arsenal!

Arsenal are a decent side, but when it comes to Europe they are miles behind especially in terms of squad strength. They lack the frontline to hurt teams and i never fully bought into them as ever overturning the deficit. Comfortable for Bayern as expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gunners_2849631d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

eagle eye wrote: »

Lol! That time Dante pushed Oxlade-Chamberlain when he was running through their defence, is that how Premier League teams usually play against League One opposition? Or When Schweinsteiger did it? Or towards the end when Kroos was taking wild shots every time he had the ball out side the box?

No one took issue with the penalty? It was with the Bayern players diving the whole game?

No one took issue with the penalty? It was with the Bayern players diving the whole game?

Ah jesus now its gone from one pretty suspect Robben fall to Bayern players diving the whole game? ;)

• Advertisement

Ah jesus now its gone from one pretty suspect Robben fall to Bayern players diving the whole game? ;)

See Robben on about 8 occasions. Martinez hitting the floor like he'd been shot. Lahm, Ribery and Goetze. Hallmarks of a Pep team. Point we were making is that every team and player does it and its no less pathetic when its done in the PL despite what Neville et al will make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mike65 wrote: »
    gunners_2849631d.jpg

is Ozil gay??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

fryup wrote: »
    is Ozil gay??

There is talk that Max Clifford is covering for one of them. He makes sure they're seen out and about with a lady friend to quell the gossiping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

is Ozil gay??

I assume it's a reference to this banner at the Emirates

GGs_EmirateaBanner_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

is Ozil gay??

his girlfriend is Mandy Capristo.

i'm assuming he is not gay.

Advertisement