Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheelbuilder - disc cover

Options
  • 11-03-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Anybody any experience with these covers?
    Recommend? Make any difference? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I remember there being a thread on disc covers from a while back and a few people put in a group order. Not sure of the details but it could be an opportune time to resurrect it and see if others wanted to do similar.

I've no experience with disc / disc covers but there are plenty here who have.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056594442

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Yes I have one running on a HED stinger 9. They are great bang for buck in terms of aero performance. As fast as many top lenticular discs depending on what wheel you run it on. You dont get the sound of a true disc, and they rattle a bit.

Once they are installed, taping the edges with standard balck insultaing tape will stp the rattling. AFAIK mine weighs 360 grams with the grommit bolts used to install. Not too bad, but not as light as a ture disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

What he said.

I've one on an 808 I used Before picking up a super 8.
    Same experience.
    I personally prefer how the bike handles with a disc rear and deep front vs say 2 x 808's.

Disc/disc cover used in every race since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

trinewbie wrote: »
    Yes I have one running on a HED stinger 9. They are great bang for buck in terms of aero performance. As fast as many top lenticular discs depending on what wheel you run it on. You dont get the sound of a true disc, and they rattle a bit.

Once they are installed, taping the edges with standard balck insultaing tape will stp the rattling. AFAIK mine weighs 360 grams with the grommit bolts used to install. Not too bad, but not as light as a ture disc.

Cheers. Have a pair of Reynolds strikes 66mm which I had planned putting on. While may not get full gains but they do seem a lot cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Something I have been looking into too recently. Just emailed wheel builder in the US to find out about delivery and the wheel I'm looking at putting it onto.

If it's on the wheel is it permanently on or can it be removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

joey100 wrote: »
    Something I have been looking into too recently. Just emailed wheel builder in the US to find out about delivery and the wheel I'm looking at putting it onto.

U might pm me on details when u hear back if u don't mind. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

It can be removed.

Just involves taking the cassette off but other than that simple, and let's face it removing cassette is one of the easier tasks!

As they weigh so little, I'd wager a bet you keep it on the whole time. I know I have.

A proper disc wheel to me feels more solid, obviously but in aero terms there appears very little diff.
    I do prefer how a disc feels and also the sound can be nice if into that!

I'd be looking to buy a normal road wheel and put it on permanently. Had been looking at the FLO and fast forward clincher disc's but this looks like it could be a cheaper option. I would love a zipp disc but I think I would be killed if I came home with one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fazz wrote: »
    It can be removed.

Just involves taking the cassette off but other than that simple, and let's face it removing cassette is one of the easier tasks!

As they weigh so little, I'd wager a bet you keep it on the whole time. I know I have.

A proper disc wheel to me feels more solid, obviously but in aero terms there appears very little diff.
    I do prefer how a disc feels and also the sound can be nice if into that!

Alot of discs are just normal wheels with disc covers - the hed ones for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

http://www.raltech.co.uk/Prod_3-Wh-Cov.html

Here is another option. I considered getting one before and epoxying it to a box rim wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd be looking to buy a normal road wheel and put it on permanently. Had been looking at the FLO and fast forward clincher disc's but this looks like it could be a cheaper option. I would love a zipp disc but I think I would be killed if I came home with one!

What wheel type are you putting it on Joey?

not sure, I've emailed to ask them about a few different wheels, looking at a Shimano R501, cheap enough bog standard wheel. Idea would be try to keep cost down to a minimum, wouldn't be on any sort of deep rim wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Have a look on www.bike-science.com based in England they do disc covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

johnruns wrote: »
    Have a look on www.bike-science.com based in England they do disc covers.

Same as the wheel builder ones but with a big mark up and order time iirc.

Advertisement