Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I need?? Freshmeat advice! :D

• 11-03-2014 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

Hello lovely Derby people :)
    I've just started Freshmeat, currently skating on the worst skates in the world, but they'll do for another couple of weeks (I'm hoping the birthday fairy will be kind! :pac:) so, what should I get???

I know the R3 are probably the best entry level skate, right? But what kind of wheels, toestops and THINGS should I get??

Are there better, (maybe slightly more expensive) skates?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

<3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

I'm a believer in getting R3s and using the extra money to buy a decent helmet (that fits correctly) and decent knee pads.
    An S1 helmet or hockey helmet for your noggin (those triple 8 helmets aren't certified for multiple impact and so aren't great for roller derby).
    For pads, I'd go with the Smith Scabs or 187s. They're super bulky and take a little while to get used to but those knees of yours will really thank you!

As for wheels - it varies from person to person, what floor you're going to be skating on, etc. You can tell how hard a wheel is by the number which will be 88a or 93a, etc. The higher the number the harder the wheel.
    For fresh meat/people new to skating, I usually recommend wider wheels (wheels come in different widths - narrow which are usually 32mm, or wide which are usually 63mm). The wider wheels will offer more stability and extra surface area to push off. As for hardness - I'd ask some of the ECC girls what they're skating on - try someone of roughly the same height/shape as you. Lighter girls will often go for softer wheels! From what I remember it was a little grippy so would be on 92a or so.

Toestops! The ones on the R3 kinda suck. A lot of people skate with Gumballs. They're big and bouncy so people like them. A few skaters in DRD have changed to Bionic Super Stoppers - apparently they make you stop a lot quicker, and they come pre-angled, which is nice and means you don't have to wear them in (I haven't used these so going based on what friends have said). A few others like the Moonwalkers. Either way - they're better than the standard R3 ones which are kind of rectangular and turn and then isn't where you expect it to be! You can also go stopperless (which is awesome fun) if you're feeling brave! ;)

Invest in good leggings! Like the Nike Dry Fits, or something similar. One good pair will last a hell of a lot longer than a pair of tights.

Here's some links from the DRD fresh meat section of the website which might be of use
    http://dublinrollerderby.com/freshmeat/wheels
    http://dublinrollerderby.com/freshmeat/gear

Advertisement