Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grief

Options
  • 11-03-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Grief is a strange thing everyone is different and sadness comes in different ways. I lost my dad very suddenly a year ago when he was abroad. I find that i'm fine with it. its just when I see my friends with their dads or when they talk about their dads, that I feel such an intense heartbreaking pain mixed with jealousy.
    It's a crazy emotion and I feel embarrassed to feel that way because I'm not a jealous person. I feel so cheated by losing my dad. Also I now have an immense fear of my mam dying because I don't want to be alone in the world. Being an only child now frightens me because I have no siblings to rely on for support. I never thought grief could be so complex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - we gave you your own thread. The thread you posted in was from last year and the original poster there may not wish to see it resurface after so long.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

LoveChanel wrote: »
    Grief is a strange thing everyone is different and sadness comes in different ways. I lost my dad very suddenly a year ago when he was abroad. I find that i'm fine with it. its just when I see my friends with their dads or when they talk about their dads, that I feel such an intense heartbreaking pain mixed with jealousy.
    It's a crazy emotion and I feel embarrassed to feel that way because I'm not a jealous person. I feel so cheated by losing my dad. Also I now have an immense fear of my mam dying because I don't want to be alone in the world. Being an only child now frightens me because I have no siblings to rely on for support. I never thought grief could be so complex.

Grief sure is mind-blowing in its difference for many reasons and in many aspects.

How are you keeping though and How is your Mom? Are you too close?

That emotion you are feeling - You sure it's not just a longing, that you are missing your Dad and just longing they are still around (as opposed to it being jealousy) ?

One thing to say right off though is: Knowing others have siblings does not mean they are there for each other for support. For me, I always turned to my Loving Dad and always confided in him and never my siblings. Now, my Loving Dad passed away on 20th Dec 2013 and that's not changed.
    Just because you know people have siblings, it does not mean they don't also feel alone like you do as an only child
    I can count in 1-hand the number of people I have confided in since my Loving Dad passed away; even less the number of people I actually cried in-front of at any stage - mostly done in private by me.

Grief and Bereavement are just mind-blowing in their very nature,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement