Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes for heavy runner

Options
  • 12-03-2014 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Time for a new pair of runners. Current pair are asics gel13. Have served me well in that I haven't had injuries.

I'm 6ft 3 and 14.5 stone so a bit of a plodder. Just wondering if there are shoes better suited to someone my size or am I as well sticking with the asics.

Haven't had any analysis done but the wear is even across the sole of the current shoes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Im also interested in this, im 6ft 3inchs aswell but 16st, 103kg.

I run approx 20km/week in town, rural and beaches. I've been running regularly for the past two yrs using Lidl runners and have had no injuries or problems whatsoever. Tbh i'd stick with Lidl but im in dire need of a new pair and have a bit of money set aside for a proper pair. Im a bi skeptical of gait analysis, pronation etc but as far as i can judge by wear im pretty neutral. My shoes show most wear on the outer heel and even in the front of the foot.

So what a good shoe for a heavy neutral runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm 6'4 106kg and use Saucony Triumph 10's. On my fourth pair. That doesn't mean they'll be suitable for you though :)

I went to Amphibia King for analysis and they recommended 3 different pairs for me. I took each of them outside for a test run and chose the ones I liked the best. There analysis seems better than the treadmill ones the likes of Elvery's has and the staff much more knowledgeable. They look at your old runner and see where they wear, they then stand you on a thermal pad to work out where you put the most pressure down and then have you running up and down the shop to analyse your running style / gait.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I'm 6'4 106kg and use Saucony Triumph 10's. On my fourth pair. That doesn't mean they'll be suitable for you though :)

I went to Amphibia King for analysis and they recommended 3 different pairs for me. I took each of them outside for a test run and chose the ones I liked the best. There analysis seems better than the treadmill ones the likes of Elvery's has and the staff much more knowledgeable. They look at your old runner and see where they wear, they then stand you on a thermal pad to work out where you put the most pressure down and then have you running up and down the shop to analyse your running style / gait.

yeah, im thinking of going to Amp. King, they a bit more professional than the other crowds. There are none near me however so it'll take a while to get to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Powerlifter who runs in the off-season here. There is a bloke called Alex Viada, he's a powerlifter/ultra runner. A ridiculous combo, especially given he competes in the 100kg bodyweight class. Anyway he recently posted a review of some shoes for the heavier runner like himself. It's on his facebook page. Worth noting his advice since people as heavy as he is rarely get near that elite level, he puts the shoes through their paces to say the least.

Advertisement