Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown

Options
  • 12-03-2014 1:27am

i didnt even know this thread existed until tonight, so well done magicians!!:D

i saw Derren Brown this evening, cannot begin to tell you how impressed i was by him.
    i just loved this show, in fact, id love to go back tomorrow and watch it again, just to see if i can work out how he does it!

anyway, question is, what is he exactly? magician, hypnotist, does he have a title as such?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

I'd class derren as a mentalist tbh...a bit off topic, but I seen "troy" for the 1st time tonight!
    Blown away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Just saw Troy as well tonight. For most of his stunts tonight, I could probably make a pretty good stab at how he pulled them off. The exception, however, and one which I cannot even begin to understand how it's done, is the one where he pulled the dress through the shop window. Angel and Blaine have done similar tricks in the past, and it is the only one where I cannot fathom a way of doing it. Very impressed.

Oh, and BTW, I too would class Derren Brown as a "Mentalist"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

I'll be fair and honest..the money in paperclip trick is all I could figure :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Gutted I'm not going to see this.
    Maybe during the summer in the UK

horgan_p wrote: »
    Gutted I'm not going to see this.
    Maybe during the summer in the UK

well i can more than reccommend this show.
    great show, fab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I'm going to this tonight, I see that it starts at 7.30, could any of ye tell me what time the show ends at :)? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I'm going to this tonight, I see that it starts at 7.30, could any of ye tell me what time the show ends at :)? Thanks!

Also ends at 7:30! Yet he manages to pack a full show in! He really is that good!

i think we were out approx 10.30pm, theres a fifteen minute interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Thanks bubblypop! What a night, I enjoyed it so much! I was laughing just as much as I was amazed :) he's some man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Saw the show in Monday and I have to say ad much as I love Derren, I thought it was a bit boring. I saw the last show when he was Ireland and thought it was a bit more imaginative and fast paced.
    This time everything felt slightly disjointed and dragged out. Having said that, I would go to see him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Great show. I would kind of agree with orchidsrpretty, it wasn't as imaginative and fast paced as his last one, but nonetheless a brilliant night's entertainment, and I will definitely go to see him any time he's in Ireland. He just has such an incredible brain.....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 captain_irish

I seen him last night. Definitely recommend it to everyone. As for his last show (svengali) I wasn't that impressed. this one is twice as good. Still doesn't compare to enigma, by far and away his best ever show.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Saw the show in Monday and I have to say ad much as I love Derren, I thought it was a bit boring. I saw the last show when he was Ireland and thought it was a bit more imaginative and fast paced.
    This time everything felt slightly disjointed and dragged out. Having said that, I would go to see him again.

I agree. I'm a huge fan, but previous DVDs were more enjoyable.

Last night (Friday), a couple of different 'tricks' seemed to go wrong, or else were hopelessly complicated. I'm looking forward to the DVD to see how they should have gone down.

Also, the second half of the show had Derren playing on people's emotions in a way that he typically disavows, so that didn't feel quite right.

I also thought there were a few clues to how he does what he does in terms of 'mind reading' but I could be way off.

I'll give no spoilers, but if anyone who was there wants to discuss specifics, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

was at the show last monday,as said above i thought the 1st half was a bit boring,he was trying to hypnotise and pick the right candidate and that took up at least 20-25 mins,the 2nd half was much better..would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I was at the show Friday night also. While I am a huge Derren fan, I have to say that I was really disappointed to see that an actor was part of the show...whether this was by design or a coincidence is up for debate I suppose....I still haven't made up my own mind...what did anyone else think of this on Friday night?!

How about other nights....was the person picked to do the bit over the intermission anyone you recognised?!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 captain_irish

Yeah I noticed that on Friday too but my mate was there on Thursday and it was his brother that got brought up. Think Friday was just coincidence.

Yeah I noticed that on Friday too but my mate was there on Thursday and it was his brother that got brought up. Think Friday was just coincidence.

Ah...wish I was there another night then...it just ruined that whole section for me, as all I could think about was this guy is an actor and playing along!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Who was the actor?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Who was the actor?

It was Ryan Andrews aka Sean Cassidy from Fair City...the guy who works in the shop/bar

Advertisement