Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nixers - how much to pay?

Options
  • 12-03-2014 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys, just looking for some input as to what would be acceptable to pay a my brother and a good friend of mine, who both went to a lot of effort to rewire my house in recent months. What was supposed to take a couple of weekends to complete turned into a monster of a job that took many more days to finish than planned, involving a considerably larger amount of time and work than first thought. Some family have told me I shouldn't be looking to pay them much money, as "they are family/pals" and they would be uncomfortable taking a chunk of cash as a thank you, and that rather I should give a nice gift instead.
    Just wondering if that would be acceptable, or should I give the cash of e400/e500 each? Would it be insulting to get a thank you like that from a brother/mate or considered fair enough for all the work done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Could either of them be doing with the cash? If not, I'd say no to that, if I did a job like that as a favour for a mate I would be pissed if he tried to give me money. Take them out for dinner and drinks or a round of golf or somehing like that as a thank you maybe, that'd be more my style anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

While I disagree with nixers on a point of principal- 400-500 a piece for what sounds like re-wiring the house, is the bargain of the century, if its done properly and to standard. I hope one or both of your friends are properly qualified electricians- you do know that certification rules changed recently- just because you're a dab hand with cabling and wiring, doesn't mean you're not breaking the law.

With jobs like you're describing- often the extent of the job only becomes apparent, as you tackle it- what may have seemed a relatively easy job at the outset, can rapidly turn into a major undertaking, when the extent of what is necessary becomes clear.

The 400-500 quid each- while a nice gesture- is a complete bargain for you- providing its properly certified work........ I'm guessing you're going to quietly ignore the tax implications etc........?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just looked up a few dictionaries, and the most common definitions agreed with my previous sense of the word, viz:

nixer. 2nd job done illegally or without reporting for tax purposes

On that basis, I'm not willing to have the topic disucssed further on teh Work and Jobs - which is intrinsically about paid employemnt, and where we cannot give advice to do illegal things.

I'm going to move it to the DIY / electrical forum , where they may be willing to give you some advice about what you need to do to manage your risks: you need to consider how you will answer questions from your insurance company if there is a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

prob illegal if they're not registered

completion cert?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Since the 1st of October 2013 it will be illegal for a non-Registered Electrical Contractor to carry out most electrical work in domestic premises. This would most certianly apply to a house rewire :eek:

See link:
    http://www.cer.ie/docs/000161/cer13147-restricted-electrical-works-decision-paper.pdf

Apart from the fact that this is now a criminal offence I am sure that your insurance company would take a very dim view of the fact that despite the fact that your home was rewired you have no certification for same.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement