Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collar and lead training

• 12-03-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have a nine week old puppy. I'm trying to get him used to his collar. I'm a little worried because whenever he has it on, he just hides. He won't play or eat. Is this normal behaviour for a puppy while he's getting used to his collar?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Some pups get really freaked out by it. A couple of things to try. Take the collar off altogether, and loosely tie some ribbon around pup's neck, making absolutely sure you never leave pup unattended... If you must leave, take the ribbon off.
    As pup gets used to having a very light restriction, start to introduce the collar gradually. Let pup sniff the collar, tell him he's great, and give him a treat (all of which should happen within a couple of seconds). Repeat this a few times. Then touch the collar off pup's neck, stop, praise, and reward. Repeat this a few times, at least until pup is paying little heed to the collar. Then wrap the collar slightly around the neck, as if you're putting it on but only getting a small bit into it. Praise pup and treat. Continue to build up the collar-putting-on process gradually, at each stage stopping, praising and rewarding.
    Eventually, when you get the collar fully on, and you've praised and rewarded, just leave it on pup for a second or two: praise and reward. Pup might be kept sitting on your knee at this point. Gradually, leave the collar on a little longer, and a little longer, until eventually you should see that pup's no longer bothered about wearing it. This should only take a few days, with a number of short training periods, rather than one or two long sessions.
    I'm assuming it's a light, comfortable collar?
    Only at this stage should you attempt to use a lead: again, I'd be inclined to let pup trail a ribbon that's attached to his collar (again, under supervision only... Remove the ribbon if you're leaving pup unattended), every so often picking up the trailing ribbon and holding it lightly whilst you follow pup about, gradually getting him used to the sensation of being restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

DBB wrote: »
    Some pups get really freaked out by it. A couple of things to try. Take the collar off altogether, and loosely tie some ribbon around pup's neck, making absolutely sure you never leave pup unattended... If you must leave, take the ribbon off.
    As pup gets used to having a very light restriction, start to introduce the collar gradually. Let pup sniff the collar, tell him he's great, and give him a treat (all of which should happen within a couple of seconds). Repeat this a few times. Then touch the collar off pup's neck, stop, praise, and reward. Repeat this a few times, at least until pup is paying little heed to the collar. Then wrap the collar slightly around the neck, as if you're putting it on but only getting a small bit into it. Praise pup and treat. Continue to build up the collar-putting-on process gradually, at each stage stopping, praising and rewarding.
    Eventually, when you get the collar fully on, and you've praised and rewarded, just leave it on pup for a second or two: praise and reward. Pup might be kept sitting on your knee at this point. Gradually, leave the collar on a little longer, and a little longer, until eventually you should see that pup's no longer bothered about wearing it. This should only take a few days, with a number of short training periods, rather than one or two long sessions.
    I'm assuming it's a light, comfortable collar?
    Only at this stage should you attempt to use a lead: again, I'd be inclined to let pup trail a ribbon that's attached to his collar (again, under supervision only... Remove the ribbon if you're leaving pup unattended), every so often picking up the trailing ribbon and holding it lightly whilst you follow pup about, gradually getting him used to the sensation of being restricted.

That sounds like really good advice. I got the smallest, lightest collar I could find. He doesn't really seem to realise when it's been taken off. I think I'll try him with the ribbon and see how we get on. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement