Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from St.kilda

Options
  • 12-03-2014 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Myself and my partner are moving from south australia to Melbourne next month and hoping to set up camp in st.kilda, I'm an electrician by trade but without an oz license il be looking for work as a trade assistant or due to my background in factory maintenance a role in manufacturing.

I have a car but will be hoping to commute via bus/rail in my next job and just looking to see what sort of areas are commutable within reason to look for work from st.kilda.

We are flying up this weekend for st.patricks day so will get a feel for the place but if anybody has any useful information it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

There are really a lot of variables here.

I think that most manufacturing jobs will be either east or west of the CBD so a train is the best option however it can be really hit and miss at how close the factory is to a train station at the other end. (I work in manufacturing in the far eastern suburbs; by train (and one bus) it takes me an hour, or by car takes me 20-40 mins depending on traffic and i live next to a train station.)

If you need to get a train then living in St Kilda is a pain as there are only trams and buses.
    However if you get a job in the CBD then St Kilda will be easily commutable.

How long would you be willing to commute for?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thanks for the reply, an hours travel wouldn't be a problem but maybe we may rethink st.kilda as I think being accessible to a train will be more important for both of us, will check out some company's in the cbd aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

East St Kilda has train station in Balaclava, it is on the Sandringham line. It's a 20min ish walk from the action.
    There is map of melbourne train stations on this link:
    http://livinginmelbourne.com/maps/
    I would hostel it in St Kilda while looking for jobs and then settle on a suburb when you're sorted out.
    Richmond and North Melbourne are very well served by train lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Near Richmond train station would be a good location. A good few lines meet at that station.

Any inner city location near a train station really would be fine for commuting if work is accessible by train. You would be into Flinders street in 10mins and can change lines there.
    You'd want to try and avoid getting a tram or bus to get to the train station though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 allic

I live on high street very near prahran train station and only a couple of stops on the tram to armadale station which will take you almost anywhere south east/east and CBD... I think it is a great location for public transport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thanks for all the replys, will have a good look around over the weekend when we are there and research those places, having the car gives another option but I'm not keen on traffic everyday of the week but could possibly live in a suburb and park at a train station to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

The thing about Melbourne's train network is unless where you want to go is on the same line as your home station, you have to go all the way into the city and then back out again. It's a pain.

Advertisement