Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrow €400k from AIB and only pay back €250k

Options
  • 12-03-2014 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I must ring AIB for a Mortgage later and get as big an amount as I can get, seeing as they're writing off big chunks.

Sure what would you be doing now paying a Mortgage or loan when Joe Bloggs next door who bought a jaysas mansion a few years ago and now has 150k wiped off, while Job Boobie is left in a phone box paying full whack.

Tiz like the talk a few years ago about developers, if ya owe them a few million your grand. Bite off all ya can, don't worry if ya cant swollie it, that's someone elses problem.

So no repo's and no moving the debtor to a smaller house with a reduced proportional mortgage, and no sale of their original house.

AIB are rewarding those who were not prudent, "is that the new thing now".

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/family-gets-to-keep-home-after-150k-debt-is-written-off-by-aib-30084311.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Yeah, not a bad donation from the taxpayer towards somebody's mortgage, it'd be nice if we all got that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Was waiting for these type of comments. Boards.ie you never disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Yeah, not a bad donation from the taxpayer towards somebody's mortgage, it'd be nice if we all got that.

+1

I do struggle to understand or agree with these deals.

On one hand I say yes people need to be helped out and it is a good thing.

Then I stop and say I took at a mortgage in the boom I'm paying it off why can't I get a contribution to my negative equity??

It's just annoying that the debt is reduced and they stay in the property while other people have given up all luxuries to try pay the mortgage in order to keep their house.

Obviously the family have experienced hardship etc but should they really be free to continue to live in the same house and effectively have no penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Must give them a ring myself - I was offered no such deal to cancel out some of my negative equity. Surely its discrimination if they refuse to give me the same deal they gave someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

smcgiff wrote: »

The only disappointment is that those who stupidly borrowed beyond their means are getting bailouts while the rest of us must keep paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Don't really see why they don't carry forward to debt.

Does this mean that if they won the lottery tomorrow they still don't need to pay back the 150k?
    Seems we Irish are some kind of a-la-carte capitalists.

This must be the biggest bargain on this thread ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Ah sure, let's just take the houses from them and leave them homeless, probably costing the taxpayer even more to rehome them.

People made mistakes, big fcuking deal. I'd rather my taxes go towards housing somebody /keeping them in their home, than on the numerous people I know defrauding the social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

You cannot deny that it is annoying for plenty of folk with a similar debt. €400K does not seem that extravagant ( regular 3 beds were fetching this not so long ago, and not in the typical "sought after" areas ).

Call me suspicious, but I just cant help feeling that perhaps the borrowers referred to in the OP knew somebody who managed to pull a string or two

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

how about a bit of perspective here people and not an indignant rant ?

1) The couple have credit card and loan debts (most likely with AIB) both of which are unsecured both of which yield far more in interest (read profit) for AIB. Couple struggling could have stopped paying these and the bank would have no recourse on the debt. In such a situation its far more advisable for the bank to write down mortgage debt than havivng to write down auxilary debts

2) By doing so AIB have saved on possible legal fees & EA fees to repo and resell the property. After which the couple would have been left with an outstanding unsecured mortgage that again AIB would ahve no way of chasing if they didnt pay

3) By crystalising the loss this fixes the banks balance sheet a bit. Thats what they ultimately need to do so they canfunction correctly in future. Right now we all know the banks are disfunctional right now and as unpalatable as it may be to some certain measures need to be taken to correct the sector.

Look whilst granted this couple are getting a very good deal the fact is that the bank arent writing down 150k just to be nice they are doign it because its in their best interests. Given they are basically state owned I want them to make the right decisions as ultimately our money has gone ito getting them healthy again. Are the couple getting a good deal ? Yes but we need to look at things in a wider perspective.

Penalty wrote: »
    +1

I do struggle to understand or agree with these deals.

On one hand I say yes people need to be helped out and it is a good thing.

Then I stop and say I took at a mortgage in the boom I'm paying it off why can't I get a contribution to my negative equity??

It's just annoying that the debt is reduced and they stay in the property while other people have given up all luxuries to try pay the mortgage in order to keep their house.

Obviously the family have experienced hardship etc but should they really be free to continue to live in the same house and effectively have no penalty.

IMO, no.

• Advertisement

Ah sure, let's just take the houses from them and leave them homeless, probably costing the taxpayer even more to rehome them.

People made mistakes, big fcuking deal. I'd rather my taxes go towards housing somebody /keeping them in their home, than on the numerous people I know defrauding the social welfare.

You do realise those two categories are not mutually exclusive?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was an unusual case- its a dual income household, one private sector, one public sector, their net income is down over 40% and they've run up massive credit card bills (along with mortgage arrears of just under 40k.

The new mortgage is half the o/s balance (200k of a 400k balance), the arrears (40k) are warehoused, and if the house is sold in the future, there is a claw-back on 160k that has been written down.

The only difference between this and the other deals- is they are not being forced to sell the property- thats the only difference.

To be honest- the way its reported is more than a bit sensationalist.

dodzy wrote: »
    You cannot deny that it is annoying for plenty of folk with a similar debt. €400K does not seem that extravagant ( regular 3 beds were fetching this not so long ago, and not in the typical "sought after" areas ).

Call me suspicious, but I just cant help feeling that perhaps the borrowers referred to in the OP knew somebody who managed to pull a string or two

What does seem crazy is that they were able to get a €400k mortgage on a house now valued at €100k, but it'd only be conspiracy theory to think they have someone to pull strings.

To the person above that said can they now get something deducted from their negative equity house. Possibly yes if they cannot afford due to loss of job, reduced earnings etc. No if they can afford to pay it. You are no worse off.

Which would you rather, get €150k off your mortgage and drop from €80k to €40k earnings per annum (these are my own figures, not related to this case) or maintain an €80k job?

It was an unusual case- its a dual income household, one private sector, one public sector, their net income is down over 40% and they've run up massive credit card bills (along with mortgage arrears of just under 40k.

The new mortgage is half the o/s balance (200k of a 400k balance), the arrears (40k) are warehoused, and if the house is sold in the future, there is a claw-back on 160k that has been written down.

The only difference between this and the other deals- is they are not being forced to sell the property- thats the only difference.

To be honest- the way its reported is more than a bit sensationalist.

Exactly you can be garanteed there are clawback clauses, and clauses to address financial windfalls the mortgage holder may get (lotto, inheritance etc)

Papers job is to sensationalise things, the banks arent stupid they have things in place to ensure they dont get shafted.

Must give them a ring myself - I was offered no such deal to cancel out some of my negative equity. Surely its discrimination if they refuse to give me the same deal they gave someone else?

I'm gonna call them myself. I quite fancy 150k and sure you know, fuuck it people make mistakes and I have made a few. Ireland only exists to financially reward those who take risks and allow their actions to be dictated by their own greed. I've some plastic debt here that needs seeing to and sure fuuck everyone else who is struggling to keep up with mortgage repayments and run a car and pay childcare. I want to be insulated from my own financial stupidity and recklessness so come on bank, pay up! :pac:

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You do realise those two categories are not mutually exclusive?

Yes. My point is we cannot choose where our taxes go. I'm sure many of us, if given the choice, would like to choose where they go, but we don't.

Both parents are working, they've fallen upon hard times. I'm sure they'd much rather be able to pay their mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Or you could, you know, sell the house and force them to downsize and, you know, live within their means. Crazy stuff I know.

Or you could, you know, sell the house and force them to downsize and, you know, live within their means. Crazy stuff I know.

If they're in negative equity with credit card debt on top of that, how can they afford to downsize when they'll still owe money even after the house is sold?

Yes. My point is we cannot choose where our taxes go. I'm sure many of us, if given the choice, would like to choose where they go, but we don't.

Both parents are working, they've fallen upon hard times. I'm sure they'd much rather be able to pay their mortgage.

Oh well if they really really reeeeally want to pay it, I guess thats ok.... Thats like, you know...the same as paying...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What does seem crazy is that they were able to get a €400k mortgage on a house now valued at €100k, but it'd only be conspiracy theory to think they have someone to pull strings.

To the person above that said can they now get something deducted from their negative equity house. Possibly yes if they cannot afford due to loss of job, reduced earnings etc. No if they can afford to pay it. You are no worse off.

Which would you rather, get €150k off your mortgage and drop from €80k to €40k earnings per annum (these are my own figures, not related to this case) or maintain an €80k job?

Where did it say the property was now valued @ 100k?
    What I heard was repayments and warehoused portion were in part designed to reflect 1) Repayment capacity and 2) a LTV of 90%. By my reckoning that means the current valuation on the property could be as high as 225-230k- which would represent a fall from peak price of just over 40% which for a house sounds plausible (if it were an apartment, it would be a different story).

This is also why there is the clawback built into the agreement on the 160k that has been written down- if/when the property is sold, subject to the listed criteria.

• Advertisement

They also only have a primary property don't appear to ahve gone wild during the boom and are in trouble as a result of a 40% drop in income.

Now whilst Im annoyed they havent had the forsight to calculate into their affordability for this kind of scenario (like I did prior to getting my mortgage) I accept this couple dont match the usual stereotype of financially irresponsible couple during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

That difference is crucial though...

For all we know the house is a 3 bed. They have 2 children if one is a boy and one a girl what do they downsize too that is cheap enough for them to be able to afford the payments and NE they would carry over ......

perspective people

D3PO wrote: »
    For all we know the house is a 3 bed. They have 2 children if one is a boy and one a girl what do they downsize too that is cheap enough for them to be able to afford the payments and NE they would carry over ......

perspective people

Might have been useful when they were borrowing 400 thousand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Id much rather the drop in mortgage debt tbh. Thats a permanent solution. My salary dropping would be a temporary situation.

Plus, 150k of mortgage debt costs a lot more than that over the term of the mortgage when you add in mortgage interest.

In this particular case I am interested to see that one of the couple is in a public sector job so probably has a gold plated pension on top of having a mortgage debt write off - whereas poor plebs like me just have wait until such a time as we earn enough to continue paying into a pension fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Now whilst Im annoyed they havent had the forsight to calculate into their affordability for this kind of scenario (like I did prior to getting my mortgage) I accept this couple dont match the usual stereotype of financially irresponsible couple during the boom.

With multiple loans and large CC debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Now that didn't take long at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

perspective people

with all due respect to the people involved...surely its not the end of the world if the boy and girl had to share a room in a downsized house....least of their worries..

Where did it say the property was now valued @ 100k?

On Morning Ireland this morning. The reporter said the remaining mortgage, which they could afford to pay, was still twice what the house was worth on the open market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

If they're in negative equity with credit card debt on top of that, how can they afford to downsize when they'll still owe money even after the house is sold?

Rent

Advertisement