Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage and Package

Options
  • 12-03-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just a <rant>
    The Irish postal system is one of the slowest I have ever seen... and I have live in many places around the world (Currently Westport,Mayo). I am originally from Hong Kong and a guy in a rickshaw would be faster.

Here is my couriered package coming in from Rotterdam in the Netherlands
    Date Time Location Status
    12 Mar 2014 07:34:27 Sligo Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    11 Mar 2014 10:12:01 Sligo Shipment Arrived At Tnt Location
    10 Mar 2014 10:33:31 Sligo Shipment Arrived At Tnt Location
    10 Mar 2014 10:33:09 Sligo Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    10 Mar 2014 08:01:50 Sligo Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    07 Mar 2014 13:38:23 Dublin Shipment In Transit.
    07 Mar 2014 12:49:43 Dublin Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    05 Mar 2014 20:55:49 Arnhem Hub Shipment In Transit.
    05 Mar 2014 20:53:02 Arnhem Hub Shipment Received At Transit Point.
    05 Mar 2014 18:26:00 Rotterdam Shipment In Transit.
    05 Mar 2014 18:01:13 Rotterdam Shipment In Transit.
    05 Mar 2014 16:22:42 Rotterdam Shipment Collected From Customer

2 days from Netherlands to Dublin (1100km)
    3 days from Dublin to Sligo (208km) [Granted 2 of them 8,9th was the weekend]
    Another 2 days from Sligo to Sligo (0km?)

I know there is a recession still on, but I think we should invest in a few new donkeys and put the old ones out to pasture!
    </rant>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Just a <rant>
    The Irish postal system is one of the slowest I have ever seen... and I have live in many places around the world (Currently Westport,Mayo). I am originally from Hong Kong and a guy in a rickshaw would be faster.

Here is my couriered package coming in from Rotterdam in the Netherlands
    Date Time Location Status
    12 Mar 2014 07:34:27 Sligo Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    11 Mar 2014 10:12:01 Sligo Shipment Arrived At Tnt Location
    10 Mar 2014 10:33:31 Sligo Shipment Arrived At Tnt Location
    10 Mar 2014 10:33:09 Sligo Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    10 Mar 2014 08:01:50 Sligo Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    07 Mar 2014 13:38:23 Dublin Shipment In Transit.
    07 Mar 2014 12:49:43 Dublin Shipment Received At Tnt Location
    05 Mar 2014 20:55:49 Arnhem Hub Shipment In Transit.
    05 Mar 2014 20:53:02 Arnhem Hub Shipment Received At Transit Point.
    05 Mar 2014 18:26:00 Rotterdam Shipment In Transit.
    05 Mar 2014 18:01:13 Rotterdam Shipment In Transit.
    05 Mar 2014 16:22:42 Rotterdam Shipment Collected From Customer

2 days from Netherlands to Dublin (1100km)
    3 days from Dublin to Sligo (208km) [Granted 2 of them 8,9th was the weekend]
    Another 2 days from Sligo to Sligo (0km?)

I know there is a recession still on, but I think we should invest in a few new donkeys and put the old ones out to pasture!
    </rant>

I wonder why it went to Sligo and not Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Are they couriers.
    Looks like they can't find you or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Yes, it looks like they can't find you and that the package is sitting in Finisklin postal centre in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Am i missing something here? What has the Irish postal system got to do with TNT? Have you rang them?

Have you ever informed the post office about where u live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How is this linked to the Irish postal system? It looks like TNT is the courier, and that is where I would be asking any questions.

How is this a Consumer Issue?

When u find out the reason you're parcel wasn't delivered to you, do come back and let us know, u will wont u?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

An international courier is delaying you so you have a rant about a completly different independant postal network..... Good job OP :rolleyes:

you would think somebody who has lived all over the world would actualyl know the different evidently not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

An Post own and operated TNT now, since when???? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Is your contact no. on the packet, I had a problem with <SNIP> Fastway, they claimed 5 attempted deliveries to me.
    The pleb in the depot let it slip that it happened because the sender didn't include my phone, it was easier for them to return to sender, rather than to send it with the driver that passes my house most days.

• Advertisement

OP - I should add that if you are not happy with the courier, get in touch with the retailer where you purchased the item, and complain to them. They are the people with the contract with the courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

aujopimur wrote: »
    Is your contact no. on the packet, I had a problem with the <SNIP> at Fastway, they claimed 5 attempted deliveries to me.
    The pleb in the depot let it slip that it happened because the sender didn't include my phone, it was easier for them to return to sender, rather than to send it with the driver that passes my house most days.

So maybe the problem is with the sender for not including your phone number. The '<SNIP>' at Fastway have probably better things to do than drive past your house all day trying to deliver your parcel when you're obviously not at home. Maybe you should stay at home more.

Posters - let's not go attacking posts. Let's stick to the original topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JamesGrimshaw

My sister posted a Post card from Hong Kong, dated 14/01/2014 I received it through the Irish postal system on the 26/02/2014.
    The year before I sent a postcard from a very remote region of Hong Kong, 1.5/2 weeks later, it was received in Manchester.

However with this I have times and dates and I can see a clear issue the it takes 1/3 the time to reach Ireland 2/3 to get through Ireland.

:)

I can't be the only one to notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

TNT are the couriers not An Post!
    My sister posted a Post card from Hong Kong, dated 14/01/2014 I received it through the Irish postal system on the 26/02/2014.
    The year before I sent a postcard from a very remote region of Hong Kong, 1.5/2 weeks later, it was received in Manchester.

However with this I have times and dates and I can see a clear issue the it takes 1/3 the time to reach Ireland 2/3 to get through Ireland.

dudara wrote: »
    How is this linked to the Irish postal system? It looks like TNT is the courier, and that is where I would be asking any questions.

How is this a Consumer Issue?

I am going to have to wait a little longer before they can declare it "missing/delayed". However I assume it will reach me, I have no doubt it will, I just wish it would not take so long.
    I tried looking for the correct forum, but you don't have a general or rant section, this was the closest I could think of.

This was not directed at people, nor a question that people can answer. I just meant this as a rant to relieve my frustration.

But I can see I have a few people's backs up, to which I apologise if they feel I am being unfair. If they knew my postal history, of course none of it can be proven, and why I used the courier as an example, they would be sympathetic.

Well on a more positive note, at least you know it's too late for your sister to send you a postcard for St Patricks Day.

emeldc wrote: »
    Well on a more positive note, at least you know it's too late for your sister to send you a postcard for St Patricks Day.

I'd probably use the postcard as a bar mat and end up misplacing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Firstly your postcards. Late postal delivery of your card to the UK & Ireand the common demonimator is crappy service from the Hong Kong postal service

Secondly your issue is not 1/3 time to reach ireland 2/3 to get through Ireland. Counting a saturday and sunday is stupid. On top of which you have no idea what has happened since its reached Sligo.

Could be lost, could have attempted delivery.

Thirdly get it into your head TNT ARE COURIERS AND INTERNATIONAL ONES AT THAT.

They are nothing to do with the Irish postal system. What part of that can you not comprehend. Thats why people are annoyed here your unfairly ranting about a company that are complete and utterly without fault here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

This was a parcel delivery not a postal one ... huge differences.

Did you arrange this shipment or was it arranged by someone else?

With courier companies like TNT there are a range of option that the sender can choose when sending the package .. all at different price ranges.

You can have a next day pre 9am delivery .. that would cost a small fortune, or it can go on an economy service.

Generally with economy, the parcel is collected the next time a van is driving past the pick up location (or after 2 days or so) .. delivered to the depot. Then it might have to wait until there is space on a container / pallet going to the destination hub (dublin) .. this might take a day or so, it will travel on a truck, ferry and eventually arrive at the depot.

Then it will wait until there is other deliveres going to the local depot .. take another day and then when the next van is heading out your way it will arrive.

If you are not there to sign for it, it will go back to the depot for either another attempted delivery or collection.

If the sender was willing to pay the extra for a express shipment, it would be collected the same day, on the next boat / flight and out for delivery as soon as possible.

You get what you pay for with delivery companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Was the correct postage added? :)

Seriously though, I live in a remote rural area and any Irish post is usually delivered to me the next day - 2 days at most. I think you confused a courior with the post but even your examples of delayed postage all involve foreign delivery services as well, so I don't know why you lay the blame on the Irish leg of the journey. I have to say I find the post very prompt indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have had many items delivered via Hong Kong and the time it takes is ridiculous but again once it reaches Ireland I usually have it the next day.
    Many websites even apologise for expected delays in delivery due to slow progress via Hong Kong. I think your postcard delays lie there!

As for the courior, contact them and ask why there is a delay. See what they say!

So maybe the problem is with the sender for not including your phone number. The '<SNIP>' at Fastway have probably better things to do than drive past your house all day trying to deliver your parcel when you're obviously not at home. Maybe you should stay at home more.
    What has a phone no. got to do with a delivery, it had my name and address clearly printed on the packet.
    No attempts were made to deliver it, if attempted deliveries had been made surely at notice could have been dropped in my letterbox.
    As I said in my original post they addmitted not bothering.

What has a phone no. got to do with a delivery, it had my name and address clearly printed on the packet.
    No attempts were made to deliver it, if attempted deliveries had been made surely at notice could have been dropped in my letterbox.
    As I said in my original post they addmitted not bothering.

I receive and send using couriers quite a lot. Mostly DPD and Fastway, sometimes Nightline. When sending, they always look for the recepients phone number. I suppose it must be so they can contact the recepient when they're not at home.
    Your original post says they 'claimed 5 attempted deliveries'.
    You need to point out to me where they admitted to not bothering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Why is this a surprise? Most of Ireland outside of Dublin is rural. That's the nature of a service in areas where there are low density populations. You don't get the same level of service as you would in urban areas like Manchester or Hong Kong.

I receive and send using couriers quite a lot. Mostly DPD and Fastway, sometimes Nightline. When sending, they always look for the recepients phone number. I suppose it must be so they can contact the recepient when they're not at home.
    Your original post says they 'claimed 5 attempted deliveries'.
    You need to point out to me where they admitted to not bothering.

The junior guy in the depot told me the problem was the lack of a phone no..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Why is this a surprise? Most of Ireland outside of Dublin is rural. That's the nature of a service in areas where there are low density populations. You don't get the same level of service as you would in urban areas like Manchester or Hong Kong.
    If you're suggesting the weeks of delays were due of Ireland's low density rural population you'd be wrong. International mail arrives at an airport, is sent to a sorting depot, then to the local post office, then to your rural letterbox, all within 1-3 days. The process in Manchester or Dublin wouldn't be much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, why are you persisting in muddling the Irish postal service with a courier. They are not connected. You might as well say the Irish bus service is useless because my taxi driver got lost!

And postcards are a joke anyway, somewhere in the world (in Spain I reckon) there is a mountain of undelivered post cards. If you really, really want to send a postcard, put it in an envelope.

The junior guy in the depot told me the problem was the lack of a phone no..

Yep, and he was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ballysheil

Heres my view FWIW
    We buy a lot online and have it delivered here in rural Kildare.
    An Post
    Pretty reliable
    Our local post man is great so not criticising at all.
    There does seem to be a delay once the articles hit Ireland, we put some of it down to customs checks etc.

Couriers
    Very mixed service.
    UBS great and the people who deliver for sports direct great.
    Most other couriers dont seem to have the heart to find us and concoct a load of spurious reasons to avoid delivering such as no one answering phone, no one in (when they couldnt even find us?).
    We then have to do a 2 hour journey there and back to pick up at depot.

Advertisement