Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Podcast

Options
  • 12-03-2014 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I know there are threads on here already recommending gaming podcasts but I'm looking for ones that don't have mindless rambling in them like Idle Thumbs or Giant Bombcast.

If anyone listens to Mark Kermodes film podcast, I'm looking for something similar to that for games.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

I've only listened to one; so I've nothing to compare it against, but I quite like the Crate and Crowbar (PC gaming) podcast:

http://crateandcrowbar.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While it is PlayStation-focused, I like Podcast Beyond with Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty of IGN. Usually doesn't go over an hour and is nicely paced and largely on-topic.

**BEWARE** PLUG INCOMING

The podcasts by the guys on the site I write for, Big Red Barrel, are entertaining and concise too - especially the UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

I find IGN's (NVC,Beyond,Podcast Unlocked) podcasts quite enjoyable (I know IGN isn't popular here).

CVG's Off The Record is good too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best gaming podcast is retronauts but its only about old games. Highly recommended though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

The IGN ones and Rebel FM are my regulars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like Eurogamer (every 2 weeks) , Wired's Game|Life (every Friday) and IGN's podcasts (IGN UK, Podcast Unlocked and Nintendo Voice Chat).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hear Lasertimes gaming podcasts are good and they usually have a few lasertime guests on retronauts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Officially a gaming podcast, but discussion usually wanders elsewhere - I thoroughly recommend Painkiller Already. Posted on YouTube by Woodysgamertag every Saturday. Usually a couple of hours long, 170 episodes for you to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Thought I would mention a podcast myself and the brother have started to run every Sunday night. It deals with gaming in general, but we try to tackle the gaming industry from a different perspective. It is still a work in progress, but we feel the content is good and we are adjusting based on feedback. Would love to hear what you guys have to say! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBKkCJzopws

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been doing a podcast called Hit Start Now with my mate for about two and a half years now. It's a monthly show about video games, but it does contain a lot of random ramblings and NSFW jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

I listen to beyond, gamescoop and unlocked with IGN and ginatbomb when I have the time. Good to hear some lads on here are giving podcasting a go. I'll give them a listen. Out of interest what do ye use for recording them? Hardware and software. Would love to get one started or at least give it a go!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'm a fan of the game Informer show.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

pedatron wrote: »
    I listen to beyond, gamescoop and unlocked with IGN and ginatbomb when I have the time. Good to hear some lads on here are giving podcasting a go. I'll give them a listen. Out of interest what do ye use for recording them? Hardware and software. Would love to get one started or at least give it a go!

Check out the Podcast forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm really enjoying http://5by5.tv/directional it's only new with three episodes (levels).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have mentioned it before, but I like the gamers with jobs podcast. Perhaps its because I am a gamer with a job. The wired game|life podcast can be good (although its goes through phases of infrequency and (IMO) mediocrity at times)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

It's not current but I really enjoyed A Life Well Wasted. Only 7 episodes but it's really well made and interesting (IMO) with the presenter's own electronic music throughout. The episodes are stand-alone and themed.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Mr E wrote: »
    Check out the Podcast forum...

Thanks for that. That would be the intelligent thing to do alright! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cane and rinse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

The Two Best Friends Play guys off youtube have a podcast, discussing current gaming stuff I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Ign and just started listening to giants bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I have to go for "Pick O' De Buck", it's something else. Or if you are looking for zero banter, just games then "Chet And Jon's Reassuringly Finite Gaming Playlist" is the one you want. I'm sick of podcasters droning on about 'what we did since last week'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I find it very hard to unearth decent games podcasts. Well when I say decent, I suppose I mean, just to my taste. Ive mainly listened to weekend confirmed, Joypod and Talkradar Uk from Gamesradar for the past dew years, but they have all quit over the past year or two. I don't mind rambing if the podcasters are good natured and can laugh at themselves, but self absorbed wannabe comedians like Giantbomb drive me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Two Best Friends Play guys off youtube have a podcast, discussing current gaming stuff I think.

I like some of their videos on Youtube but the podcast can be very annoying. Mainly because of the ginger guy shouting all the time and it seems like it's a 70/30 split in favour of anime most of the time.

Some of the video game discussion can be interesting and funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    While it is PlayStation-focused, I like Podcast Beyond with Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty of IGN. Usually doesn't go over an hour and is nicely paced and largely on-topic.

**BEWARE** PLUG INCOMING

The podcasts by the guys on the site I write for, Big Red Barrel, are entertaining and concise too - especially the UK one.

Stopped listening to the BRB podcast a long while ago, while i found them funny especially the musical parodies. They tended to bull**** a bit, imagine the ****e you've heard gamestop employees go on about; might have just been the blu show.

Didn't really actively decided after a episode or anything but when I'd have 4/5 un-listened episodes in each feed it was a sign. That being said might listen to the last few UK and Blu shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

J. Marston wrote: »
    I like some of their videos on Youtube but the podcast can be very annoying. Mainly because of the ginger guy shouting all the time and it seems like it's a 70/30 split in favour of anime most of the time.

Some of the video game discussion can be interesting and funny though.

That's true actually, I think I lost interest a bit when they started bring anime to the party, I for got to mention the Videogamer podcast, pretty sure they do this weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Giantbomb and Videogamer UK would be my two favourites. Videogamer is every Wednesday and never overly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

sick of podcasts talking about gaming news.if i want know about news i check ign...i prefer when they talk about the games there playing..giants bomb tends to ramble about crap but so far this week there actually talking about playing through a game thats what i want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

brady12 wrote: »
    sick of podcasts talking about gaming news.if i want know about news i check ign...i prefer when they talk about the games there playing..giants bomb tends to ramble about crap but so far this week there actually talking about playing through a game thats what i want

Most have a format that includes, both, a "whactha been playing?" section, along with a reviews section. Seems pretty reasonable to me - gaming websites have news as well as reviews, why shouldn't podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

I listen to a few mentioned here(IGN, Giant Bomb, Rebel FM) but I also look forward to most of the uk podcasts(IGN UK, Eurogamer, CVG Off the Record) I think i prefer their sense of humour and attitude towards games compared to the US output but that just me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Really Liked Weekend confirmed and right now the host of that is doing his own solo show which has been decent so far.. although I do prefer a group debating games rather than just one.

At least Garnett seems like a pretty reasonable and likeable guy.

Garnett on Games is the name of the show.

Advertisement