Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Frosty for New grass seed

• 12-03-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi - Probably a naieve question - a quick answer would be appreciated. I live in Dublin (close to the coast) and I need to plant a new lawn -- I was all set to get the seed sewn today but saw the frost this morning.

Is it too early to put down new seed?

how long should I wait?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's not really a matter of when, by the calendar. Calendar dates are just a rough estimate. The important thing is to go by the forecast and sow when the conditions are right. The soil needs to be well prepped and warmed up for good germination. Generally late March/early April 'should' be ok. But you need to wait until the weather is right. The soil should be warm enough (5 degrees plus) when there is an average of 10 degrees outside for a while.
    Best time of all if you can be patient is September when the soil has all the warmth of the previous summer in it.
    So hang on for at least 3 more weeks and then check the 5 day forecasts. Remember the soil should ideally be moist at all times after sowing. So a quick light sprinkling in the evenings is good if there is no rain.

Advertisement