Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMR Vaccine

Options
  • 12-03-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Are Irish parents vaccinating their kids with the MMR (measles mumps and rubella) vaccine now days? Why or why not?

Would you vaccinate yourself or your child with the MMR? 40 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 40 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

mmrstudent wrote: »
    Are Irish parents vaccinating their kids with the MMR (measles mumps and rubella) vaccine now days? Why or why not?

The vaccination rate was just under 70% a few years ago after the Autism scare (since proven to be not just unfounded but actually fraudulent), afaik it's up to 86% now. To generate herd immunity it needs to reach 95%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

mmrstudent wrote: »

You will find that the people who are the most enthusiastic about the vaccine have a vested interest in promoting it.

I personally would never in a million years give it to my child.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041897_mmr_vaccines_autism_court_ruling.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

It saddens me to read opinions like yours Jumbo man. If you choose to put your child in danger of a life threatening disease that's your business, but by making that choice you are also putting my child in danger too - herd immunity is an absolute necessity for the efficacy of these vaccines. If you're going to scaremongering about these vaccines at least present evidence from reputable sources.

If people give the vaccine to their children and they believe it is safe and effective. How would non vaccinated children effect them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Herd immunity - the more individuals who get vaccinated, the more the infection path is disrupted and it hugely reduces the risk of exposure.

Measles *kills* children, and totally unnecessarily as it's a wholly preventable disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Jumboman,
    do you actually have kids that are not vaccinated? and are you really using that false story as the basis for your view, or do you have any other religious/cultural/non rational reason for your opinion? Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I wonder how this happens as schools ask for copies of the records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

I wonder how this happens as schools ask for copies of the records.

Sorry - can you clarify - how what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Any time I've sent an application form off for a school or play school I am asked to give details of vaccinations. If I can't give it, the child doesn't get a place.

So how do unvaccinated children get to crèche / play school / school?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

I'm just going to add my two cents as this really is a pet peeve of mine.

The Wakefield study was WIDELY discredited, and after all the details had come out, it was discovered that he himself was developing a safe 'Autism risk free' vaccine to replace the MMR. You want to talk about vested interest? This is as blatant as it gets. The Anti-vaxxer mentality makes absolutely zero sense to me.

There has been no other evidence (reputable evidence, not health/natural/wellness websites) showing any correlation between Autism and vaccinations. Show me a BMJ/AJM research articles or studies testifying to this and then maybe I can be convinced.

Have you personally seen a case of Polio or Small pox? No? Because vaccines work. To think otherwise is just reckless and frankly, child endangerment. Have a quick search for 'child suffering with Pertussis' and tell me that you could watch your child experience.

Populations have grown and people are living longer because the prevalence of infectious diseases that once killed us in infancy and childhood have been eradicated or vaccinated against. Herd immunity can only do so much in protecting against infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Jumboman wrote: »
    If people give the vaccine to their children and they believe it is safe and effective. How would non vaccinated children effect them ?
    Not all children can get the vaccine, like say a child with CF or who is on immunosuppressant drugs.

By your children not being vaccinated, they could potentially get the disease. If they get it, they could pass it on to children who cannot get the vaccine, and that could be potentially fatal.

The Wakefield study was not just discredited, it was rescinded. It was shown to be falsified.

Vaccines work because of herd immunity. It bugs the crap out of me that in this day and age people a) refuse to vaccinate, and b) rely on "natural news" to form their opinions on science.

Any time I've sent an application form off for a school or play school I am asked to give details of vaccinations. If I can't give it, the child doesn't get a place.

So how do unvaccinated children get to crèche / play school / school?

State schools are not allowed to deny you a place in school on the grounds that your child is not vaccinated. Having said that, there would be an argument for making vaccination compulsory for those that can be vaccinated.....

Jumboman,
    do you actually have kids that are not vaccinated? and are you really using that false story as the basis for your view, or do you have any other religious/cultural/non rational reason for your opinion? Just curious

We not not living in a police state just yet. I have every right not to vaccinate them.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/24/new-evidence-refutes-fraud-findings-in-dr-wakefield-case.aspx

State schools are not allowed to deny you a place in school on the grounds that your child is not vaccinated. Having said that, there would be an argument for making vaccination compulsory for those that can be vaccinated.....

If anybody tried to forcefully vaccinate my child it would be last thing they ever did.

We not not living in a police state just yet. I have every right not to vaccinate them.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/24/new-evidence-refutes-fraud-findings-in-dr-wakefield-case.aspx

They aren't peer reviewed articles. I would be the first to admit that the peer review process is flawed at best but there needs to be some accountability to claims. Mercola doesn't provide citable, reviewed references.

You, of course, have every right to not vaccinate your children. People also have every right to disagree with your decision.

....And of course to point out that you are putting your own and other children at real risk of serious illness and death by not vaccinating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I stopped reading when I got to the following:
    The Daily Mail reported:....

....And of course to point out that you are putting your own and other children at real risk of serious illness and death by not vaccinating them.

O yeah so injecting my child with mercury is a good idea ?

Are you still taking about MMR?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Increasing their chance of measles is more sane? Since you enjoy posting links here's something for you to read at your leisure.

http://www.centropediatrico.ch/Data/Neurologic%20disorder%20Pediatrics%202002.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

Can you find me any epidemiological studies that show any sound evidence not to vaccinate your child? As someone said, you have every right to not vaccinate your children, but please educate yourself to both sides of the argument. If you still decide that vaccinations are not the way to go, fair enough. But you will know all the facts and possible outcomes.

Infectious diseases are preventable and it is a tragedy that children are the ones who suffer from the choices adults make based on conspiracy theorist ideas and fear mongering. Infertility, cognitive issues, loss of vision and hearing, disability, death and a myriad of other complications are the result of many infectious diseases. Your children may never become ill and live long and full lives, or may become sick and suffer at the hands of something which is entirely avoidable and needless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Seriously? Where is the mercury in either this or this MMR vaccine? (Section 6.1 is where to look)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm just going to add my two cents as this really is a pet peeve of mine.

The Wakefield study was WIDELY discredited, and after all the details had come out, it was discovered that he himself was developing a safe 'Autism risk free' vaccine to replace the MMR. You want to talk about vested interest? This is as blatant as it gets. The Anti-vaxxer mentality makes absolutely zero sense to me.

There has been no other evidence (reputable evidence, not health/natural/wellness websites) showing any correlation between Autism and vaccinations. Show me a BMJ/AJM research articles or studies testifying to this and then maybe I can be convinced.

Have you personally seen a case of Polio or Small pox? No? Because vaccines work. To think otherwise is just reckless and frankly, child endangerment. Have a quick search for 'child suffering with Pertussis' and tell me that you could watch your child experience.

Populations have grown and people are living longer because the prevalence of infectious diseases that once killed us in infancy and childhood have been eradicated or vaccinated against. Herd immunity can only do so much in protecting against infection.

And my pet peeve was that it took Wakefield's discreditng to put this story to bed. It was generous to call the evidence linking MMR and autism flimsy, yet gullible people bought it. It actually took something as serious and out-of-the-ordinary as professional misconduct before some people actually looked at the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

jumboman, you have previously been warned and banned on this forum for the very same crap you're at today. as before, this is a scientific forum with a standard of posting. if you make a claim, back it up with peer reviewed scientific articles. naturalnews and the daily mail don't count, btw.

if you fail to do this and continue to post in the manner you've done thus far, you'll be banned. again. for good this time. as before, don't say you weren't warned. now, you can call that censorship, bias, nazi-ism or whatever else you want to call it, but it won't change the forum charter and ethos.

sam34 wrote: »
    jumboman, you have previously been warned and banned on this forum for the very same crap you're at today. as before, this is a scientific forum with a standard of posting. if you make a claim, back it up with peer reviewed scientific articles. naturalnews and the daily mail don't count, btw.

if you fail to do this and continue to post in the manner you've done thus far, you'll be banned. again. for good this time. as before, don't say you weren't warned. now, you can call that censorship, bias, nazi-ism or whatever else you want to call it, but it won't change the forum charter and ethos.

I've said all I have to say people can draw their own conclusions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've said all I have to say people can draw their own conclusions!

the obvious conclusion is that you are quoting from websites that are talking out of their arse, and as a direct result are putting your kids (if you have any) and those that interact with those kids ((if you have any) at increased risk of death because you choose to be happily mislead by conspiracy theories....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

You will find that the people who are the most enthusiastic about the vaccine have a vested interest in promoting it.

I personally would never in a million years give it to my child.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041897_mmr_vaccines_autism_court_ruling.html

I am very enthusiastic about MMR vaccination, and I have no vested interest in it other than the wish to see a healthy population.

And just by the way, naturalnews.com is not a reputable source.

sam34 wrote: »

Just one point I'd like to make before you ban me. These peer reviewed studies you speak of are all sponsored by the drug companies they are not impartial.

Our own Dr David Healy made the point that you can not trust any of these "studies" because the drug compainies can pick and choose what data suits them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pharmageddon-David-Healy/dp/0520275764/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=045BQWQA981F35X7FZYW

Just one point I'd like to make before you ban me. These peer reviewed studies you speak of are all sponsored by the drug companies they are not impartial.

Our own Dr David Healy made the point that you can not trust any of these "studies" because the drug compainies can pick and choose what data suits them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pharmageddon-David-Healy/dp/0520275764/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=045BQWQA981F35X7FZYW

Simply not true unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sheikhnguyen

If anybody tried to forcefully vaccinate my child it would be last thing they ever did.

You haven't a single shred of evidence to back up your views so predictably you fall back on the old it's the drug companies and the vested interests lying to you nonsense.

You should have your children taken off you for endangering their lives through your own foolishness and willful ignorance. You are no better then the pray away the illness religious loons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

You haven't a single shred of evidence to back up your views so predictably you fall back on the old it's the drug companies and the vested interests lying to you nonsense.

You should have your children taken off you for endangering their lives through your own foolishness and willful ignorance. You are no better then the pray away the illness religious loons.

take their kids off them for not getting vaccinations? ur the loon.

Advertisement