Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMR Vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

jetski wrote: »
    take their kids off them for not getting vaccinations? ur the loon.

So what happens if his kids get measles and develop complications and the worst happens?

Simply it's dangerous to not vaccinate without a medical reason to not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Jumboman you really do not know how medicine works at all do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

measles.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

prevalence-graph1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Couldn't that be because autism was not diagnosed as widely as it is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

From Jumboman's own graph: *Recent research has indicated that changes in diagnostic practices may account for at least 25% of the increase in prevalence over time, however much of the increase is still unaccounted for an may be influenced by environmental factors.

I realise that it's a bit of a fallacy to argue against such ill-thought out and ill-advised posts, but the scary thing is that these opinions are alarmingly widely held and unvaccinated children are suffering as a result. So if it means arguing with every loon who chooses to pedal the "Vaccinations are bad m''kay" lie then so be it. We know that there are people out there listening to idiots like Jenny McCarthy and the anti-vax groups, we know this because the data showing the terrifying rise in preventable diseases like whooping cough and measles tells us so.

From the LA Times: The Toll of the Anti-Vaccination Movement in One Devastating Info-Graphic.

Measles outbreaks (purple) worldwide and whooping cough (green) in the U.S., thanks in part to the anti-vaccination movement. (Council on Foreign Relations)

And again, by not vaccination your child you are putting other children at risk. Herd immunity is a real and necessary strategy. A six week old baby died in Christchurch, New Zealand on 26th February, and two days ago on March 19th a baby who was too young to yet be vaccinated died from whooping cough in Travis County, Texas. The Coroner in the NZ case has said "more extensive vaccine coverage could have prevented the baby's death".

Do vaccines cause autism? No. (CDC, Feb 13, 2014; Madsen et al., (2002) New England Journal of Medicine (sample size of over half a million children); Taylor et al., (1999) The Lancet).

So what has caused the rise in Autism in recent years?

Hospital-diagnosed maternal infections?
    Exposure to environmental factors like pesticides, viruses, household chemicals?

The answer is: we don't know. What we DO know is that it's not because of vaccinations. Vaccinations save lives. In 1980, prior to widespread vaccination, 2.6 million deaths were caused each year due to measles. By 2012 this had reduced to 122 000. With even better vaccination protocols who knows, maybe measles could become a story for the medical history texts like smallpox. (WHO, February 2014).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

p.s. the graph that Jumboman uses above is from the website AutismSpeaks. On the page dedicated to Vaccines and Autism:
    Many studies have examined possible links between vaccination and increased prevalence of autism. This research has paid particular attention to the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, vaccines containing thimerosal and the total number of vaccines administered during early childhood or any one doctor’s visit. These studies have not found a link between vaccines and autism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

Jumboman wrote: »
    prevalence-graph1.jpg

Ridiculous graph and association with vaccination. If we are talking ridiculous graphs - here is one

http://harpursbizarre.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/pants-graph.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

An interesting thread if one ever needs reminding that there are some very very stupid people in the world. Stupid impressionable people.

Let's ignore the peer reviewed scientific journals and listen to crackpot websites.

Why did I open this thread.

Autism Speaks graph
    The Autism speaks graph only shows that the diagnoses of autism are increasing, that is all. You will need to offer clear evidence of some causal relationship with vaccines in order to persuade people that there is an issue.

The problems of non-vaccination are known:
    In the Irish (measles) outbreak of 2000, which occurred as a direct result of lower vaccination rates following the MMR scare which reduced coverage to just 74%, there were 1,500 notified cases and 3 deaths. Clin Med December 2007 vol. 7 no. 6 562-578
    Many of those 1,500 cases will have suffered complications, some permanent such as hearing loss.

Mucco wrote: »
    The Autism speaks graph only shows that the diagnoses of autism are increasing, that is all. You will need to offer clear evidence of some causal relationship with vaccines in order to persuade people that there is an issue.

The problems of non-vaccination are known:
    In the Irish (measles) outbreak of 2000, which occurred as a direct result of lower vaccination rates following the MMR scare which reduced coverage to just 74%, there were 1,500 notified cases and 3 deaths. Clin Med December 2007 vol. 7 no. 6 562-578
    Many of those 1,500 cases will have suffered complications, some permanent such as hearing loss.

I'm not that familiar with the Irish "outbreak". But if you look at the recent "outbreak" in wales were a young man reportlay died from measles it turned out his death was not even caused by measles yet the media was more than willing to jump on the pro vaccination bandwagon.

So we need to take what the media say in these cases with a pinch of salt.

I'm not that familiar with the Irish "outbreak". But if you look at the recent "outbreak" in wales were a young man reportlay died from measles it turned out his death was not even caused by measles yet the media was more than willing to jump on the pro vaccination bandwagon.

Can I ask, are you questioning the fact that measles can result in death?

The WHO states that the mortality rate is about 1 in a thousand, you can find the original research on their page.
    It's also clear that the vaccine is effective - the graph I posted earlier is from the US Center for Disease Control, but there are plenty of other sources.
    In summary, the vaccination is proven to reduce deaths, and also other measles complications such as hearing loss.

The point you are proposing is that the negative effects of the vaccine outweigh these positives. To make a fair assessment of the risk/benefit ratio of the MMR vaccine we need reliable evidence of the negative effects. If you can provide it, I will gladly consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Do you mean the outbreak referred to here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-23135464

From the article:
    Dr Marion Lyons, director of health protection at Public Health Wales:

"We are aware of the death of a man from measles, confirmed by the Swansea Coroner today. My sympathies are with the family at such a tragic time.

"Measles is a potentially fatal disease and around one in every 1,000 people who contracts measles in developed countries will die.

"Those not fully vaccinated with two doses of MMR are still highly likely to catch measles if they come into contact with an infected person as it is an extremely contagious disease.

"Although the outbreak has slowed down considerably in recent weeks, anyone who has not had two doses of the MMR is still unprotected.

"Symptoms of measles include fever, cold-like symptoms, fatigue, conjunctivitis and a distinctive red-brown rash that appears a few days into the illness.

"Anyone who thinks they or their child may have measles should speak to their GP immediately."

And what's with the "outbreak" inverted commas? Do you not believe there were outbreaks either?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If you are going to claim there were no outbreaks you need to be able to back it up with references.
    It's not the first time you've been told this.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭GardenMadness

Your own links were to the daily mail and natural news. If not part of the media, what are they?

In any event, I suggest you read this:

http://www.badscience.net/2008/08/the-medias-mmr-hoax/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Terry Gilliam Beard

I've said all I have to say people can draw their own conclusions!
    The conclusion is that you haven't a clue what you are talking about, and anyone who takes 'Natural News' - a conspiracy theory site making money by selling quack 'cures' to dupes - seriously really needs to load up on all the mercury they can get their hands on.

It seems that everyone is out to get you. Now, if we could only figure out what causes paranoia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I find it hilarious that accusations of vested interests are thrown against the medical profession by quacks who are doing it to shill their own made up gubbins without a shred of irony involved.
    Couldn't that be because autism was not diagnosed as widely as it is now?

Got it in one.

RobFowl wrote: »
    If you are going to claim there were no outbreaks you need to be able to back it up with references.
    It's not the first time you've been told this.

I never said that there were no outbreaks I just don't blindly believe what the media or medical profession say.

MYOB wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that accusations of vested interests are thrown against the medical profession by quacks who are doing it to shill their own made up gubbins without a shred of irony involved.

Got it in one.

There is an unhealthy relationship between the medical profession and the pharmaceutical industry.

I never said that there were no outbreaks I just don't blindly believe what the media or medical profession say.
    But you do blindly believe unscientific nonsense promoted by conspiracy theorists and quacks trying to pedal fake cures like colloidal silver?

Clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I see a couple of people asked you about this but you seem to have missed their posts so i will repost and ask could you explain what you meant please.
    O yeah so injecting my child with mercury is a good idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bumper234 wrote: »
    I see a couple of people asked you about this but you seem to have missed their posts so i will repost and ask could you explain what you meant please.
    I guess he's referring to this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal_controversy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You said this
    But if you look at the recent "outbreak" in wales were a young man reportlay died from measles it turned out his death was not even caused by measles yet the media was more than willing to jump on the pro vaccination bandwagon.

But you didn't back it up with any references or links.
    If you continue to do this expect a ban.

RobFowl wrote: »
    You said this

But you didn't back it up with any references or links.
    If you continue to do this expect a ban.

I remember reading that he died of an asthma attack and also had other heath problems which were nothing to do with measles. Ill try and find the link and post it here.

I remember reading that he died of an asthma attack and also had other heath problems which were nothing to do with measles. Ill try and find the link and post it here.
    Any chance you'll explain your nonsense about mercury too?

• Advertisement

But you do blindly believe unscientific nonsense promoted by conspiracy theorists and quacks trying to pedal fake cures like colloidal silver?

Clever.

No I don't blindly believe anyone. But I would listen to a bum on the street before I would listen to a pharmaceutical rep or anyone that has financial connections to that industry.

Advertisement