Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling star/debris 6am this morning

Options
  • 12-03-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭

I was out the back of my house at 6am this morning with my dog and looking North (I am in Co. Limerick), I saw what looked like a shooting star falling almost vertical and lasting about 3 seconds. This bright streak and the object was bright white, looked kind of blocky, bigger than a star would be.

Is there anyway to find out if space debris fell to earth this morning. Was absolutely amazing to witness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

This may have been an Iridium flare.

Check http://www.heavens-above.com for details of ISS passes and Iridium Flares.

There is a facility to look up historic flares.

There was a very bright one here in Dublin early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very interesting website. I looked up Iridium Flares but they seemed to be bright dots.

What I saw was like this just much more vertical

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfbpuScksjspw9zLD29OvJf4Mv2w0loyPc7r7TM3PCSOVf136K

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to find out if space debris fell to earth this morning. Was absolutely amazing to witness.

Meteors that make it all the way to ground level usually produce an audible sound in the atmosphere; we haven't heard any such reports so I doubt if debris will be located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

seen it myself up in South Dublin was amazing.

Excellent! I thought tiredness might have been messing with me :pac:

• Advertisement

It was so cool to see, can you imagine witnessing that meteor that fell in Russia a while back :D

jimmer123 wrote: »
    It was so cool to see, can you imagine witnessing that meteor that fell in Russia a while back :D

Now that would be something. I'd love to know what we saw though and if someone was extremely luck enough to get a pic of it.

The iridium flare pic you posted was pretty much what I seen against a clear early morning sky. Was just walking down my road and it appeared over the pitches beside my estate and I was convinced I was going to find part of a meteor in the pitches still smoking lol

I don't think that was an iridium flare I posted. I found that on Google images, think it's a meteorite but that's exactly what it looked like.

We seen a meteorite so cause that pic is what I saw. Bright yellow only lasted a few seconds.
    I seen a documentary on the Atacama desert in Chili where the view of the night sky is just breathtaking. I always wanted to go and was only googling it a few days back. This experience has certainly driven up my desire.

• Advertisement

Yupp think it was a meteorite, other sightings here from the UK

http://thelatestworldwidemeteorreports.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Dirk , if you're ever reading this somewhere down the line I LOATHE your website

on a separate note it's a meteor when it's in the sky and only a meteorite if something is found on the ground.

No audio reports ---unlikely anything will ever be found IF it was a meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Dirk , if you're ever reading this somewhere down the line I LOATHE your website

on a separate note it's a meteor when it's in the sky and only a meteorite if something is found on the ground.

No audio reports ---unlikely anything will ever be found IF it was a meteor

You must be jokin I cant stand jargon and that is one of the worst anal types of jargon known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ps200306

Jargon implies superficial or pointless technicality. A light that streaks across the sky is a completely different phenomenon from a rock found on the ground. The OP saw a light, not a rock. It makes sense that they have different names. One's a light. The other's a rock. Meteorite means a "rock that comes from a meteor". Greek -ites, adjectival form of lithos, rock, hence meteorite = meteor rock. Simples. Plus it's a completely sensible and necessary distinction -- I go meteor hunting several times a year, whereas I've never hunted a meteorite in my life. Other people are the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

You must be jokin I cant stand jargon and that is one of the worst anal types of jargon known to man.

good for you-it must be great being you

Advertisement