Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Rent Allowance Thread.

Options
  • 12-03-2014 12:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

Post deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It doesn't fall under any discrimination laws to refuse to rent based on source of income.

Horrible for a lot of people on RA, but there's not really anything that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why is this still going on?

In my area landlords are not accepting RA but unemployed nigerian and romanian families are moving into properties that were advertised as ''Not accepting RA''{All power to them) But are the government giving extra incentives to landlords if they accept non nationals?

Or are the landlords so judgmental that they believe most irish people on RA are utter scum that will destroy their property throwing drug fueled parties while defecating on the floor and using their lease to smear it all over the walls?

The RA rate covers a number of decent properties where i live i dont understand this snobbery.

Some of these houses have been left empty for months how can the landlord afford the refusal of RA to get in the way of repaying their debt??,I think its time for the banks to clamp down on these discriminative landlords,The biggest factor here is snobbery and discrimination you just have to look at property websites and landlords responses to RA queries to see that.

When RA covers a landlords set rent its discrimination to rule that tenant out on the basis of not having a job,The country fell to ruins people,A lot of formerly hard workers now need such services as RA.

Unfortunately a lot of landlords who have tried RA tenants once have found this to be the case. Not all RA tenants are bad by any means, but there is a quantifiable chunk who have rubbed a lot of landlords the wrong way.

Also for RA tenants the landlords have to be fully tax compliant, there are also a quantifiable chunk of landlords who do not want to do this. In dublin its a landlords market at the moment, I know if I was renting out a property I would certainly preffer professionals as my rental yield would not be at the mercy of the government deciding how much I get paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

1394 properties for rent in dublin last year only 20 accepting RA i believe the bill will pass it has too.

1394 properties for rent in dublin last year only 20 accepting RA i believe the bill will pass it has too.

it doesnt, what of the rights of the landlord to choose who they want to rent to. Im sure you're a good tenant but you have to accept the reality that there are a lot of really crappy tenants on RA, in the same way a lot of landlords dont like renting to students , they made an investment in a property and want to get the most return with minimal fuss.

A bill like this passing will either do one of two things , put in place a common practice of 2-3 month deposits to hinder RA tenants or drive rent levels far above RA amounts to keep RA tenants away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I hope it those. This time last year rent allowance would have saved me a lot of misery but my landlord at the time wouldn't accept it. Why are landlords so against it in the first place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did they not they to do this years ago - making it an offence for landlords to refuse rent supplement?

it doesnt, what of the rights of the landlord to choose who they want to rent to. Im sure you're a good tenant but you have to accept the reality that there are a lot of really crappy tenants on RA, in the same way a lot of landlords dont like renting to students , they made an investment in a property and want to get the most return with minimal fuss.

A bill like this passing will either do one of two things , put in place a common practice of 2-3 month deposits to hinder RA tenants or drive rent levels far above RA amounts to keep RA tenants away.

Have you seen the stats what do you suggest that this is allowed to continue?

Sure there are bag eggs on RA but ''professionals'' also cause damage and refuse to pay rent if the landlord took a similar stance to those people we wouldnt have a rental market its lunacy.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did they not they to do this years ago - making it an offence for landlords to refuse rent supplement?

Im afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Nothing will change until the system of paying RA into tenants hands to hand over to the LL changes. Not only should the rent supplement be paid direct to the LL's bank account, the tenant weekly contributions should be docked at source too.

Also, why is it paid in arrears, that makes no sense either.

If the council's carried out yearly inspection of properties in receipt of RA, to ensure good standards are being kept by both tenants and LL's, with power to evict problem tenants, only then will RA seem like an attractive proposition for property owner's.

• Advertisement

Nothing will change until the system of paying RA into tenants hands to hand over to the LL changes. Not only should the rent supplement be paid direct to the LL's bank account, the tenant weekly contributions should be docked at source too.

Also, why is it paid in arrears, that makes no sense either.

If the council's carried out yearly inspection of properties in receipt of RA, to ensure good standards are being kept by both tenants and LL's, with power to evict problem tenants, only then will RA seem like an attractive proposition for property owner's.

Landlords have the option for payment to be paid direct to them from the RA by debit or cheque,I never understood landlords and tenants not using this option more,As for the council checking the state of properties,Why would they do that,thats the landlords job.

Have you seen the stats what do you suggest that this is allowed to continue?

Sure there are bag eggs on RA but ''professionals'' also cause damage and refuse to pay rent if the landlord took a similar stance to those people we wouldnt have a rental market its lunacy.

In the UK the bedroom tax is working to a certain extent to solve this problem. Realistically its all about accurately managing what the needs are versus the wants.

Single people under 25 or single parents with only 1 child under 5 - unless theres a problem with abuse etc.. send them back to their parents house .

move people to properties that just meet their requirements - no more 1 parent 1 child families in a 3 bed house , 2 children of the same gender can share a room.

prioritise the housing list / RA by family ties , have it that theres no chance of getting a property in dublin city unless basically all of your family are in close proximity.

get tough on problem tenants, fraud (boyfriends 'living' with single parents etc..)

have an office where people can seek advice about transport and good locations for them that may be a bit further out of cities and more availability (for instance kilcock, a lot more RA properties but still decent access to dublin)

at the end of the day RA and the housing list are about needs, not wants, this business of people turning down properties or looking for RA in say dublin city when they dont work / dont work in the city / have no family or other need to be there has to stop, RA and the housing list arent about where you want to live.

In the UK the bedroom tax is working to a certain extent to solve this problem. Realistically its all about accurately managing what the needs are versus the wants.

Single people under 25 or single parents with only 1 child under 5 - unless theres a problem with abuse etc.. send them back to their parents house .

move people to properties that just meet their requirements - no more 1 parent 1 child families in a 3 bed house , 2 children of the same gender can share a room.

prioritise the housing list / RA by family ties , have it that theres no chance of getting a property in dublin city unless basically all of your family are in close proximity.

get tough on problem tenants, fraud (boyfriends 'living' with single parents etc..)

have an office where people can seek advice about transport and good locations for them that may be a bit further out of cities and more availability (for instance kilcock, a lot more RA properties but still decent access to dublin)

at the end of the day RA and the housing list are about needs, not wants, this business of people turning down properties or looking for RA in say dublin city when they dont work / dont work in the city / have no family or other need to be there has to stop, RA and the housing list arent about where you want to live.

This problem is country wide,Even in areas with low employment none of these suggestions would make one iota of a difference to a landlord accepting rent allowance or not.

Im from kildare i dont know much about kilcock but if south kildare newbridge,kildare town and naas are having this problem,I sincerely doubt kilcock is fairing any better considering its favourable location to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Landlords have the option for payment to be paid direct to them from the RA by debit or cheque,I never understood landlords and tenants not using this option more,As for the council checking the state of properties,Why would they do that,thats the landlords job.

But it shouldn't be an option, it should be the process, the only process. Along with the tenants weekly contribution too.

As for why the council's should do that, just a mad idea, but the current system isn't working, LL's don't like it, so why shouldn't the council's stop shrugging the shoulders and become more proactive and make the scheme more attractive for LL's to participate in?

But it shouldn't be an option, it should be the process, the only process. Along with the tenants weekly contribution too.

As for why the council's should do that, just a mad idea, but the current system isn't working, LL's don't like it, so why shouldn't the council's stop shrugging the shoulders and become more proactive and make the scheme more attractive for LL's to participate in?

We know they cant/wont do any of this,The money isnt there, well at least thats what the councils will say,Landlord shouldnt have the right to refuse RA when its meets their rent,I moved to athy for cheap rent then i lost my job and luckily my LL accepted rent allowance,But now im carless and penniless i need to move to an area that offers better employment chances or at least a decent course.
    Hundreds of thousands of people are in the same situation as i am,This problem needs to fixed,If not for the public then for the sake of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Even if it passes I don't see it working.

At the end of the day is it not up to the landlord to choose who they rent their property to?
    Renters will be interviewed and the question "tell me about yourself" / "where do you work" might come up and from there it's up to the LL to decide what they want to do with the answer (or lack of one).

If the prospective renter thinks they have been discriminated against they won't be able prove it. "I liked this person more than you, they were friendlier / (insert adjective here)"

All it does is wasting people's (landlords) time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Landlords have the option for payment to be paid direct to them from the RA by debit or cheque,
    ...which the tenant can have changed at any time without notifying the LL. There's also the matter of the shortfall between RS and rent due.

Tenants on RS shouldn't be handling the money at all. Should flow straight from state to LL, including tenant's share which should be deducted at source from their SW payment. All this could have been introduced years ago.

Should be paid in advance too, like normal rent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There is good reason that some places don't accept RA. I'm sure you'd be a fine tenant but the amount of damage caused by people paying with RA is astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

You could be right, and once again the government will deftly sidestep any responsibility to provide an adequate amount of social housing.

Nevertheless, this bill is an idiotic disaster.
    I’ve said it before on this board but it bares repeating, the solution to this problem needs to be holistic and address BOTH sides of the issue.
    The best way to do that would be to make the PTRB site into a resource for both tenants and landlords, instead of yet another ‘pay up suckers! Portal’.

Perspective tenants should have to supply their PPS number to the landlord and the PTRB site should allow landlords registered with them to search the site for any judgments against that tenant. Any RA tenant with a clean rental history should have no trouble renting if the landlord could be reassured that they were getting a good tenant.
    Equally, a tenant registered with the site should be able to search by address and the associated landlords PPS number to see if any judgments have been registered against the landlord. That way RA tenants with little in the way of financial security could be reassured that their landlord was not the kind of person to play silly buggers with their deposit or repairs.

This simply and easily implemented solution would , at a stroke, resolve 90% of all issues both sides experience. What this bill proposes will be fought tooth an nail by landlords who know perfectly well that it can take 18months the evict a tenant who can run amok in the meantime and scarper owing thousands and having done thousands more in damage. This legislation it typical of the intellectual midgets we elect, half the story, producing half assed legislation that will probably half the amount of property available for rent as landlords deicide not to bother with the hassle and sell up.

This problem is country wide,Even in areas with low employment none of these suggestions would make one iota of a difference to a landlord accepting rent allowance or not.

Im from kildare i dont know much about kilcock but if south kildare newbridge,kildare town and naas are having this problem,I sincerely doubt kilcock is fairing any better considering its favourable location to dublin.

With an effective 'social' housing strategy you decrease the need for RA , shortening the housing list and freeing up resources , this solves a proportion of the demand , freeing up some supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP

You sound like a racist with a chip on his shoulder expecting people to regulate in your favour.

How would you feel if they insisted everybody on RA had to do a course on financial management and show a household budget explaining how they plan to pay rent constantly and consistently?

A LL will not loose the ability to choose who they rent out to either way and at any point will still be able to say I didn't like the person. The legislation will never come in and if it does it will be pointless. RA is only available on the grounds the LL is willing to do extra work.

Experienced LL tell inexperienced LL not to take RA tenants because they have had bad experiences. These people know more about RA tenants than you as you have never had to deal with an RA tenant paying rent. Your experience is zilch where I can tell you after 4 RA tenants never ever again. I have one and I would get rid of her because she simply can't organise herself or live like a normal person. Only there because the owner feels sorry for her. I have to go in and tell her to clean the place, that is the agreement we had to come to.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    OP

You sound like a racist with a chip on his shoulder expecting people to regulate in your favour.

You sound like an ignorant troll yourself TBF what a post thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Some community welfare areas offer this option to the rent supplement tenant but it is never decided or even offered to landlords.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Some community welfare areas offer this option to the rent supplement tenant but it is never decided or even offered to landlords.

When the landlord fills out his part of the RA form,he can choose this option,Its clearly visible on the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When the landlord fills out his part of the RA form,he can choose this option,Its clearly visible on the application.
    The tenant can say he doesn't want that and the HSE would change it. They also stopped doing this due to bank charges for new claims. In other words the tick box is useless

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Closed at the request of the OP.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement