Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing moss

• 12-03-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭

Best way to remove moss from the garden

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

hard surfaces? Lawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

Grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭secman

Triple action - Moss removal , Weed & Feed jobbie. When moss dies back, scarify it and remove.

Have the same problem myself on about 2/3 acre, hopefully get t cut ths weekend and have a proper look at it.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

cena wrote: »
    Best way to remove moss from the garden

Improve the drainage. Moss killer won't solve the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭secman

Very few gardens coped with drainage this winter, i don't normally suffer too much from Moss, but the ground was so saturated this winter.......... Moss killer will do the job for me. Trying to upgrade the drainage system for my "macamore" heavy clay ........ ooh pricey and huge job. We did put the yellow drainage pipies in initially, the ground went from bone dry, to saturated, all summer, we had a 1 inch gap from edge of grass to kerbing...... no gaps now. Sporadic moss. Get a cut this weekend and have a proper look at it, was too wet to walk up to last weekend !

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hi, do you guys recommend iron sulphate or a propriety moss killer for the job?

I realise that the propriety moss killer is probably much more expensive but that irregular spreading of the iron sulphate can kill the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Personally I use lawn sand which has iron sulphate in it. I have a small enough garden so it makes sense, I only need a small sack. Have done it enough times now to know how far a 'handful' goes. There's a certain knack in chucking it around :) But you get the hang of it soon enough and don't get burnt grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Sulphate of iron will do it

Advertisement