Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

average cost of an attic conversion on a 3 bed semi

• 12-03-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

just wondering what i should expect to pay on average. anyone who had this done recently let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

just wondering what i should expect to pay on average. anyone who had this done recently let me know.

I know you said average, but it will be pretty meaningless compared to your actual property.

3 bed semi will vary in size and some houses are more easily converted than others.

No harm asking for average, but it will unlikely be representative.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you have a look through this sub-forum there are a number of threads on this.

To answer your query, to do properly, with staircase, you are looking at the region of E15K...the devil is in the detail of course! :) Existing roof type, standard of insulation, extent of services, etc., etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

its actually an end of terrace 70's former council house which should give you an idea of size. standard pitched roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Attic converted around 8k good simple and warm room, including stairs, with en suite add 2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

thats great value. i need to shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

thats great value. i need to shop around.

It's easy to pluck figures out of the sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Important think about attic is the insulation, make sure You get the right one and vapor barrier as well, because, if that's not done right it will make Your room hot in summer and very cold in winter and windy whether.
    There's a big difference between insulation type, quality and required thicknesses of different insulation materials.
    And make sure Your central heating boiler is powerful enough to heat extra space.
    If You go for en suite You need water pump, but make sure You get hot and cold water balance right and not feed all bathrooms from one pipe, it's cheaper and quicker but pain in the hole to use.
    If any questions don't hesitate.

Advertisement