Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ancestry adds 715,688 RC Parish Records inc Confirmations.(Some with Images)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Naas records might actually make me take out another month next month (faaar to skint right now) as I gave up trailing a few leads on IFHF on a less interesting arm of the tree due to the costs.

The copyright statement seems to link it to: http://www.eceltic.ie/eceltic-products/my-prms/18/ which suggests that more stuff may turn up over time, as more customers of it as a record management service appear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Just a heads up - some marriage and baptism records I've checked read Aughrim, Co. Galway instead of Aughrim Street in Dublin City.

But a good additional collection of records as some of the same records on irishgenealogy.ie don't have the images scanned. Quite fortunate too for me that Westland Row is included.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

As eqwjewoiujqorj (it must be fun typing that name at every login!) says this is very interesting and has fascinating potential.

According to the eCeltic website: PRMS is a simple computer application we created at the request of the Armagh Diocese ? It?s called Parish Records Management System or PRMS (for short). PRMS with our integrated register scanning service is a must have parish records management solution. This is a well-established solution that we have successfully implemented in over 200 parishes across 12 Dioceses in Northern and Southern Ireland.

So, as part of the agreement with Armagh Diocese, were eCeltic allowed to sell/licence the content they put in the PRMS to a third party, and that is where Ancestry came in?

Will eCeltic partner with other dioceses around the island and we'll see different RC register records on Ancestry, FMP etc. based on who bids the most?

Why are there only images for some records?

What has the NLI to say about all this? If this trend continues will they finally be able to digitize the RC microfilms, put them up on the net for free, and blow them all out of the water?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've lost hope that the NLI will do that. They were seeking tenders as long ago as 2010 for that project and nothing seems to have come of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Just a heads up - some marriage and baptism records I've checked read Aughrim, Co. Galway instead of Aughrim Street in Dublin City.

I note today that those records have recently been corrected.
    Still waiting for an acknowledgement from Ancestry for pointing out the discrepancy:(.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Hermy wrote: »
    I note today that those records have recently been corrected.
    Still waiting for an acknowledgement from Ancestry for pointing out the discrepancy:(.

dont hold your breath - I pointed out an error on all the Co. Offaly and Laois Irish Census records (all had Queen's New York, similar for King's) on Ancestry never heard back, but they did fix them.

I actually did hear back - but from someone who completely misunderstood the situation. She apologised for the fact that Ancestry cannot currently provide research assistance and linked me to some articles on how to use the website.
    She'd do well in politics!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Is there any list of the parishes that will be added in the future?

I was lucky that I had 2 sets of parish records that I was interested in and found lots of interesting records. I was surprised that they showed images of pages of transcription instead of the original parish register in many instances. From c1890 & later years, the names of the baptism sponsors were not included unfortunately. But I am really thankful that they were made available

Advertisement