Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something stuck in her throat

• 12-03-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Our staff has something stuck in her throat again! She often gets this when chewing on bones etc, but tends to spend a while coughing, and it eventually clears - although once, my partner had to put his hand down her throat to get a bit of bone out!

She has been trying to get something up since Sunday however, and I have to bring her to a vet and it doesn't seem to be clearing for her - She's eating and drinking and in good form as normal, so I'm not overly worried. Does anyone know of a good vet on the northside of Dublin (santry/coolock etc) and what's the average fee for a vet consult like this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You sure its not Kennel Cough? It can sound like something is caught in their throat. They kind of cough or do a hacking kind of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I don't know what it is - what's a kennel cough?

She has had it before and would often cough up a bit of bone or similar so I am assuming it's that again - she got sick twice with this cough yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Fittle wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good vet on the northside of Dublin (santry/coolock etc) and what's the average fee for a vet consult like this?
    Thanks

Anicare.ie on Coolock Lane beside FastFit/opposite Santry Park - consult is around €42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

She has had it before and would often cough up a bit of bone or similar so I am assuming it's that again - she got sick twice with this cough yesterday

Kennel cough is a respiratory infection (the kennel bit of the name is a bit misleading as it can be caught anywhere and it's not just confined to kennels) that causes a severe hacking cough. It's not usually serious in young healthy dogs but it is quite uncomfortable for them and very contagious to other dogs.

What kind of bones do you feed her? Cooked or raw?

Sounds like Kennel cough, but you need to bring to a vet to get a proper diagnosis as we cant say what it is, but the symptoms sound a bit like KC.

• Advertisement

Raw bones, from the butchers - she devours them! She's nearly 7, so getting old:(. I have another 6mth old terrier who never gets a look-in when the bones arrive!

I'll bring her up to that vet tomorrow, thanks again.

I just have another quick question while I have some of you here (rather than starting a new thread) - herself and the new dog (6months) get on really well - they play alot - when the older dog has enough, she lets a growl and the younger dog knows she has had enough play!! So I think they have each other sussed.

They are both indoor dogs - but with the weather improving, I'm considering letting them stay outside more - I don't have a kennel for either of them and was considering buying one large kennel.

Do you think one kennel would work for them outside or should I get them two seperate ones? They often snuggle up on the same bed in the house, or on a chair together - not all the time, but enough for me to know that they are comfortable.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

if they are good friends, and happy to share a bed in the house, chances are they will share a kennel. Make sure it is big enough for them both to lie down together. Put some vet bed or something in the kennel to make it more comfortable/appealing - they really wont want to be outside when you are inside!! You're not going to banish them from the house completely are you?!? When we are in the house, and the dogs are outside, they are only happy to be out there to potter/pee/bark at nothing/etc. they then want to come back inside to us. If we are going away for a few hours in the warm weather I leave them outside in our secure garden and they will happily stay outside (Ive webcammed them) but if it rains while we are away, its like they dont associate their kennels with shelter - and get soaked! If yours have always been indoor dogs, chances are they wont use the kennel too??!

No, i just need to use the outdoor space as an option - my job has changed so they will be home alone for longer periods, but only during the daytime! They will still sleep indoors...couldnt possibly leave them out in the rain!

Just an update, and thanks for the info to date.

Vet says it's kennel cough alright - although she hasn't been in contact with any other dogs in the past week, so no clue how she got it! Anyhow, gave her an injection and tablets - I've to keep her away from the smaller dog! No clue how I'm going to do that!! Haven't a big house and they both stay in the living room (except at bedtime). I've also to get the pup vaccinated against kennel cough (on a sugar lump?)

Anyhow, thanks again - I also have a sick child! Happy Paddy's Weekend:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Theres usually an incubation period, so could have been festering for a week or so. Its an airborne disease so you dont need to be in direct contact with a dog that has it, just in the area where the dog was.

What do you mean, on a sugar lump? I dont understand. KC vacc is given up the nose. Its squirted up the dogs nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

KC is always given via the dogs nose... thats why they hate it so much..

Never seen / heard of a sugar lump being used TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The oral Polio dose for humans used be administered on sugar cubes, not the canine KC vaccination which as the others have said goes up the nose. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in so not much point having it done now imho and anyway, it's not always effective. There are different KC strains.

No point keeping your dogs separate, it's highly contagious so if one is coughing then the other already has it.

Have you any other vets in your area for any future visits? Am not really liking the sound of any of this.

This is a pretty reputable vet???

I got the pup vaccinated about 2 months ago and (it was my partner who went to the vet, not me) he asked had she been vaccinated against kennel cough. My partner rang me, and the vet said I would have known it was the kennel cough vaccination, as they are done differently to the ordinary one and usually, on a sugar lump?

I thought that if the older dog has it the younger dog probably already has it too...

Anyhow, she's to get plenty of rest and the tablets for the next 5 days...so hopefully she will be ok.

Last question - will the younger dog definitely get it? Is it like chicken pox in humans (if one chiild gets it, they all get it!), or is there a possibility she won't get it? There's no sign of anything wrong with her just yet, and the older dog has been coughing since Monday.

Sorry, but that is incorrect. What on earth has a sugar lump to do with a kennel cough vaccination?? Its 100% a vaccine that is squirted up the nose. Ring your vet and ask them.

KC is highly contagious, so the chances are your other dog will get it, unless it had before, they can develop an immunity to it.

This is a pretty reputable vet???

I got the pup vaccinated about 2 months ago and (it was my partner who went to the vet, not me) he asked had she been vaccinated against kennel cough. My partner rang me, and the vet said I would have known it was the kennel cough vaccination, as they are done differently to the ordinary one and usually, on a sugar lump?

I thought that if the older dog has it the younger dog probably already has it too...

Anyhow, she's to get plenty of rest and the tablets for the next 5 days...so hopefully she will be ok.

Last question - will the younger dog definitely get it? Is it like chicken pox in humans (if one chiild gets it, they all get it!), or is there a possibility she won't get it? There's no sign of anything wrong with her just yet, and the older dog has been coughing since Monday.

The sugar lump thing is def incorrect, its a liquid shot up the dogs nose... its not ingested into the stomach at all, it has to go through the nasal passage.

theres no def that your pup will get it, its like the flu or common cold... some people get it some dont.

My dog gets the KC vaccine every year yet he has still had KC 3 times... there are loads of different strains going around there is no
    guarantees that a dog who is vaccintaed will / wont get it, it just helps try and protect your dog thats all.

http://www.dogstrust.ie/az/v/vaccinations/

Vaccines are given in different ways. Most are injected into the ‘scruff’ of the neck; however, the kennel cough vaccine is given as drops into the nose.

Hmm, still not getting where this sugar lump is coming from. It's given up the nose which is how you would have known if it was administered.

In my experience (and I have LOTS of experience of kennel cough unfortunately) is that yes, pretty much all unvaccinated dogs in contact with the coughing dog will get it but there is always an exception! Even if they are vaccinated then sometimes they can get it too. Also your other dog may not get it as badly as to need tablets.

Mine has been through it a couple of times. My own vet recommends Benilyn for Kids and there's some posters here who recommend Manuka honey to soothe the throat.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Hmm, still not getting where this sugar lump is coming from. It's given up the nose which is how you would have known if it was administered.

In my experience (and I have LOTS of experience of kennel cough unfortunately) is that yes, pretty much unvaccinated all dogs in contact with the coughing dog will get it but there is always an exception! Even if they are vaccinated then sometimes they can get it too. Also your other dog may not get it as badly as to need tablets.

Mine has been through it a couple of times. My own vet recommends Benilyn for Kids and there's some posters here who recommend Manuka honey to soothe the throat.

Exactly this... my vet didnt give my guy any anti biotics either said capol or benilyn for kids, a child dosage and after 3 days he's was as right as rain :p

plus he adored the taste which was a bonus :pac:

cocker5 wrote: »
    Exactly this... my vet didnt give my guy any anti biotics either said capol or benilyn for kids, a child dosage and after 3 days he's was as right as rain :p

plus he adored the taste which was a bonus :pac:

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend Capol as Paracetamol can be toxic for dogs but the Benilyn is great isn't it?

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend Capol as Paracetamol can be toxic for dogs but the Benilyn is great isn't it?

Really?? Ive given him capol a few times :eek: only in like toddler doses but still :(

Thanks for the heads up next time it will benilyn all they way!

• Advertisement

From my reading it appears to be larger doses but not every reader will be aware of what a large and small dose is so I would say a blanket no to paracetamol. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/p/poisonoussubstances/#.UyMpKc6Vrgs

From my reading it appears to be larger doses but not every reader will be aware of what a large and small dose is so I would say a blanket no to paracetamol. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/p/poisonoussubstances/#.UyMpKc6Vrgs

Thanks for that apprecite it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

KC is always given via the dogs nose... thats why they hate it so much..

Never seen / heard of a sugar lump being used TBH

Its sometimes injected. I finds its not 100% reliable either. Despite having been vaccinated, ours still gets it at least once a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Really?? Ive given him capol a few times :eek: only in like toddler doses but still :(

Thanks for the heads up next time it will benilyn all they way!

We have a bottle of benilyn for ours too, and exputex. Sometimes it can help with the coughing until the pred and anti B's work.

I have Benilyn in the fridge at home - I'll give her some when I get home - I haven't given my poor sick child a thought, and he has strep throat!!!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated;)

I have Benilyn in the fridge at home - I'll give her some when I get home - I haven't given my poor sick child a thought, and he has strep throat!!!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated;)

OP is the dog is already on tablets and got an injection in the vet? if so dont give her anymore... it should only be given alone and not with other treatments

Hope your dog and your child feel better soon x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, one of my dogs had Kennel Cough, but the other 2 didnt get it from him.

My dogs have always had KC vaccination (and BOY do they hate that squirt up the nose!)

The second time the same dog got KC, the vet said that with the various strains going around, the vacc was a hit or miss affair, and Ive since stopped vaccinating for KC, as my dogs no longer go to a kennels (where its a requirement). They still get their other vaccinations/boosters etc. (except my elderly dog who isnt able for it & we reckon hes built up an immunity by now)

The cough sounded horrible, but honey and a bit of kids cough mixture to sooth the throat (oh and icecream on 1 memorable occassion:)) was all we needed. If the dog is fit/strong/healthy, s/he will most likely be fine. As you say, lots of rest. Oh and agree that there is no point in trying to seperate your two dogs at this stage - the other will get it/not - hopefully not!

(Ive got a sick dog at the moment - elderly with a gastric episode - its horrible having a sick dog :( - our weekend is ruined, watching him being miserable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    We have a bottle of benilyn for ours too, and exputex. Sometimes it can help with the coughing until the pred and anti B's work.

The rescue I used to foster for would get us to use exputex and also manuka honey. I would said 90% of the dogs we got from the pound had kc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, but that is incorrect. What on earth has a sugar lump to do with a kennel cough vaccination?? Its 100% a vaccine that is squirted up the nose. Ring your vet and ask them.

Actually there is an oral vaccine and a sub-cut vaccine also.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Actually there is an oral vaccine and a sub-cut vaccine also.

I had a bit of google and it seems that there is a very recently released oral vaccine alright so that's good news for dogs that don't tolerate the intranasal administration. Do you know of any vets in Ireland offering it yet? I hadn't heard anything about it.

Had a look at the administration video and it's done with a syringe, so still no sugar lump though :)

Advertisement