Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something stuck in her throat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think the vet is simply using the sugar cube to make the experience more palatable (no pun intended!) for the dog. I don't think it makes any difference, once the vaccine comes in contact with the mucosa. Sure when it's given intra-nasally the vaccine passes down into the throat and is ultimately swallowed anyhoo. I know vets that use a bit of butter or marmite to make the kennel cough vaccination more tolerable for the dog. It doesn't mean the vet is any way deficient in their expertise!

The OP should ask the vet for their rationale next time they're in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One of mine would take an oral syringe or an injection anyday over the nasal one. Last year me, the vet and a vet nurse couldn't get it up the nose in the surgery, she wriggled, squirmed, jumped off the table and knocked over a chair and was just getting way too stressed. I was given it to bring home, so I snuck it in when she was relaxing later that evening. Mortified. Same dog doesn't flinch at an injection.

Advertisement