Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundcloud

Options
  • 12-03-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Any sign of getting Soundcloud embedding capabiltiies into forum posts, or is there a way to do this already?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Short answer: not in the foreseeable future and certainly not whilst we're still using VBulletin.

Longer answer: when we finally break away from VBulletin, I want us to be able to properly embed any and all popular media services like YouTube, Twitch, Soundcloud, Libsyn, etc. So consider it part of an overall "media integration" plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Agent Bubbles

Dav wrote: »
    not whilst we're still using VBulletin.
    When ye porting to yer own?

I'd love to be able to give you a definitive answer on that one, it's something we've been working on since I joined the company 5 years ago :) It's a very big job - those of you with a tech background will probably understand just how big, but in the simplest terms, we've been doing it piece by piece for quite some time. The Talk To forums don't interact with VBulletin at all, nor does the touch. site and all the development currently ongoing with the Android and iOS apps are built off our own API.

An API is a chunk of software that sits on top of the infrastructure of the site and acts as a middle-man between it and anything looking to access the infrastructure - in our case that could be a web browser or a mobile phone etc. It's a complicated bit of stuff to write, but it's the best and most flexible and expandable way to do these things. The API we have was initially built by Conor and Ross many moons ago and the various members of tech that have been working on it over the years have added to it. It's the sort of thing that never really gets "finished" because new needs will arise as time goes on.

Since I'm here and talking about it, we're looking for an experienced Web Developer at the moment and we're not getting many CVs for it at all. You can see the job spec here: http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/daft-ie/experienced-web-developer-for-boards-ie/4922838

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I've had a bit of cause to venture into the talk to forums of late and its similar but different enough that I find it a very different experience to using boards itself for some reason. I cant say as I'd like to use it all the time.

When you eventually do move away from vBulletin will it be simply your own software that looks and as far as we know works the same but just allows you to do so much more ? Or will it be more akin to a site wide roll out of the talk to forum model ?

Well the Talk To forums were built to provide a different kind of experience to the rest of the site and so aren't meant to be the same. We'll be able to re-use some of the background code for them for the regular forums, but they won't look or behave in the same way.

It'll eventually be all our own code and it will look different to what we have now (cause there's a heap of things I want us to be able to add in - more on that some other time ;)).

• Advertisement
Advertisement