Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photos as Church Records

• 12-03-2014 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Here is a crazy suggestion for all those churches out there. I think Churches should request families involved in church events to hand in a photo of the person or people involved to be kept as a church record. It could cover marriages, baptisms, communions, confirmations, blessing ceremonies and even funerals. You would have the names, dates and places. I would love it to happen. It could be done digitally so not much space necessary. Researchers of the future would really thank us for it!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

As far as I know you now need to provide photo ID on booking a wedding ceremony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Here is a crazy suggestion for all those churches out there. I think Churches should request families involved in church events to hand in a photo of the person or people involved to be kept as a church record. It could cover marriages, baptisms, communions, confirmations, blessing ceremonies and even funerals. You would have the names, dates and places. I would love it to happen. It could be done digitally so not much space necessary. Researchers of the future would really thank us for it!:)

Actually what would be simpler (albeit in a much smaller way) is for people to name/list details on the back of all photos they already hold - I had one Victorian album in which the 'glue' died and there was a muddle of photos between each of the leaves with text written on the pages Took quite a while to figure out what related to whom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The reason I thought of this is that I inherited some old photos with absolutely no information on them and even those who left them with me didn't know who they were either. Though I spend a lot of time delving into the past, I thought I should also think about the future so I'm going to do the decent thing and label all our photos. A lot have already been done. It will be done on computer but I'd like to put some details by hand on the back of photos too but ball-point doesn't work on the photo paper and pencil isn't much better, besides the writing tends to mark the front too. Any ideas, anyone?

I'd really like the churches to do it, and let's go really mad, and the registry offices too! I might know where my ggparents were married but I've no idea what they looked like. I'd just love to know what they looked like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sharpies - permanent marker will work on the back of photos.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Nice idea Jellyb but I don't think there's any need for it, researchers of the future will just click a button and find out more than enough about us :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Nice idea Jellyb but I don't think there's any need for it, researchers of the future will just click a button and find out more than enough about us :)

I expect you are right. I'm probably living in the past! :o So we get all the fun of brick walls then. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Maybe Facebook etc. should introduce a rule that all accounts will become public after 50 years, now that would be fun :D

I don't think FB will still exist in 50 years*

*optimistic face

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

As an adopted person struggling to find my past I'd prefer if the church had as little to do with recording our future history as possible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

And as an atheist, I have no intentions of ever using a church for any ceremonies of importance in my own life.

What we really want here is, as usual, a time machine. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Amen to that!:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement