Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burke Family vs NUI Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

I agree in principal with the people on here saying that they have the right to express their opinion that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed in this country. But for them to compare gay people to pedophiles is just completely obscene and offensive. If for example there was people on campus comparing black people (or any ethnic group) to pedophiles I don't think anyone would be saying that they have the right to that opinion. This isn't about the fact that that they don't agree with same sex marriage it's the horrible things they are saying about innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

BinAniDCYAA3-Fg.jpg

I'm in the library trying to study but instead I made this. Grumpy sore losers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

What does is say under "Matt Doran"? I can't make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yes we do Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0019/print.html

which clearly states

That's great, I think. I had been told that we didn't before, but I guess that person was wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

any update are they still protesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Missed almost the entire thing yesterday as I was in the library, but by the look of it the Burkes have done a terrific PR job for the pro equality side.

Also saw this on reddit regarding the quoting of Leviticus on their posters, feel that it's worth sharing here as well.
    BTW Leviticus is a really bad place to get your moral teaching. For example are the clothes hes wearing of only one type of fabric?
    19:19 neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

The three holding the "No to Same Sex marriage" posters are looking very gloomy outside the canteen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Can i presume they will shortly become vocal about their right to own slaves, stop cattle breeds from mingling and seek for as ban on black pudding and force ladies in their flowers to carry a bell?
    Utterly bizzarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Good view of the exchanges between protestors and counter-protestors yesterday around 5:30pmish,while Enoch and Isaac tirelessly clinging on to their poster in the background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71f49SufLdY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The Burkes were protesting outside the canteen so students started counter-protesting them with Father Ted placards.

1976966_760752487302213_1302848022_n.jpg

1978838_760752743968854_1524487323_n.jpg

1959942_760763140634481_1077841318_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

http://youtu.be/71f49SufLdY?t=5m25s

Shake your fist harder boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Love the Ted placards! Someone print them bigger!

Ex Nuig here and now very curious also to see NUIG's CU stance on this, and the national board representing CU' in Ireland (IFES Ireland) respond to this. I am aware that there is some suggestion the Burke family essentially took over the CU , but Enoch would still have needed votes to become Auditor etc., and money used to fund campaigns would have to be agreed my members.

Mad days in uni, get out and vote to keep these clowns out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Isaac was a tutor of mine and the best tutor I have ever had. He is one of the few teachers who can explain something complicated but in ways that make sense. He had a knack of dragging information out of you that you didn't even know you knew.

He is very gifted in his field and I always thought he would go on to do great things. It is very disappointing to see that he supports causes that ostracise certain members of society and he could ultimately end up being ostracised himself.

I don't think Isaac is a bad person but his views are extreme, to say the least. I think he had a sheltered upbringing, shaped very much by Christian views and I would hope that when he leaves the safe cocoon of university and really starts to experience life, he will come to accept that being gay is no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Completely agree with you Paddy cow, we wer in classes together and until this, couldnt say a bad thing about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I wouldnt blame the children, they were brought up being told that this was right. Spoke to one of the daughters before about religion and it seems like they have been told all there life that the bible is true and anyone who says otherwise is lying to them, unable to form a counter argument that isnt something they have been told to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the first poster kind of saying 'If we let the liberals marry the gays, then they'll be campaigning to marry the kids?'

Tbh, I find the whole thing depressing. Usually student politics is pointless, but this is seriously gloomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the first poster kind of saying 'If we let the liberals marry the gays, then they'll be campaigning to marry the kids?'

Tbh, I find the whole thing depressing. Usually student politics is pointless, but this is seriously gloomy.

It was saying that because they allowed gay people to marry in the US the paedophiles want to get married. This is why we shouldnt let gay people get married.

Later I have heard they said (not sure if this is true) in response to love is love that why cant a 50 year old man marry a boy. As I said, this is just what I heard and dont know if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

It was saying that because they allowed gay people to marry in the US the paedophiles want to get married. This is why we shouldnt let gay people get married.

Later I have heard they said (not sure if this is true) in response to love is love that why cant a 50 year old man marry a boy. As I said, this is just what I heard and dont know if its true.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying they're ust getting overly theoretical. I'm not entirely sure they were saying gay men were pedophiles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying they're ust getting overly theoretical. I'm not entirely sure they were saying gay men were pedophiles.

Me too. I don't think they're saying being gay automatically makes you a paedo, rather, if we allow gay marriage we'll end up some day allowing perverts to marry kids. Anyway, I think the best thing their opponents could have done was ignore them, protesting like that plays into their 'free speech for some' tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

Saw them there today, the more & more I do, the more & more they remind me of the Westboro Baptist church crowd. I really feel sorry for the younger ones, The 14-15 year old sister was standing with Enoch & one of the older sisters for a couple of hours at the protest beside an bialann holding up a big Vote No sign.

Also from what I've heard today, some of the non-Burke family CU soc members aren't very happy to say the least with their societies involvement in the referenda. & It's worth noting every other CU soc in the country remains apolitical but thanks to the Burkes the NUIG one took a position on Gay Marriage, BDS of Israel & Abortion in the past few weeks.

• Advertisement

Member 420 wrote: »
    Saw them there today, the more & more I do, the more & more they remind me of the Westboro Baptist church crowd. I really feel sorry for the younger ones, The 14-15 year old sister was standing with Enoch & one of the older sisters for a couple of hours at the protest beside an bialann holding up a big Vote No sign.

Also from what I've heard today, some of the non-Burke family CU soc members aren't very happy to say the least with their societies involvement in the referenda. & It's worth noting every other CU soc in the country remains apolitical but thanks to the Burkes the NUIG one took a position on Gay Marriage, BDS of Israel & Abortion in the past few weeks.
    Are you sure she was that young? I know there are two brothers and two sisters attending NUIG and they play by the book. I seriously doubt that they had someone young enough to be doing the Junior Cert involved in University politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

Yes. Their are exactly 10 of them, the older ones have done their Phd's & everything but the youngest ones are around that age, they are home-schooled according to an Irish Times (I think) article about the family I read in the past few days. As you said 4 are currently in NUIG, (Isaac, Enoch, Ammi & Kezia).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Are you sure she was that young? I know there are two brothers and two sisters attending NUIG and they play by the book. I seriously doubt that they had someone young enough to be doing the Junior Cert involved in University politics.

This coming from a family that marches their kids in front of the Dail weekly with their gripe of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

I'm a former NUIG student and i was heavily involved in societies during my time, but completely uninterested in student politics while there simply because I thought it was a lot of shouting over things of very little importance. these events made me think again.this nonsense has made me ridiculously angry and yet immensely proud of all the people invovled in protesting these kranks (despite the fact some protesters seem to have tarnished what was otherwise a well run activity). can someone give me a bit of a timeline for whats happened? as i haven't been around, I've obviously missed a lot of this and this thread and the election thread has provided a bit of context, but it seems like the family are well known for a while now, how did they come on the scene? did they have something to do with the legion of mary hubbub there a while ago? are they involved in a few societies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

To play devil's advocate - assuming people are allowed to marry whomsoever they choose - won't there be groups of three people getting married in the not too distant future? And four? And then companies getting all their employees to get married for financial reasons? :P

Ficheall wrote: »
    To play devil's advocate - assuming people are allowed to marry whomsoever they choose - won't there be groups of three people getting married in the not too distant future? And four? And then companies getting all their employees to get married for financial reasons? :P
    I don't know how you can play devil's advocate here and it's not a situation to be flippant about. Even if you disagree with gay marriage, unless you live under Islamic law, I don't know anywhere where marriage is allowed between three or more people (I will stand corrected on this). If you want to make a case for legalising polygamy, that's an issue for another thread.

People are not allowed to marry whomever they chose. Consenting adults however, should be allowed, regardless of their sexual preference.

I've no problem whatsoever with gay marriage. It should be as valid as any other marriage.
    People are not allowed to marry whomever they chose. Consenting adults however, should be allowed, regardless of their sexual preference.
    This is precisely my point - if the argument is that consenting adults should be allowed to marry each other if they choose, then why should they not be allowed to marry more than one person?

I've no problem whatsoever with gay marriage. It should be as valid as any other marriage.

This is precisely my point - if the argument is that consenting adults should be allowed to marry each other if they choose, then why should they not be allowed to marry more than one person?
    Marriage is presumed to be between two people. Even anti-gay protesters don't debate this. Like I said, legalising polygamy is a debate for another thread.

Marriage is presumed to be between two people.
    And not so very long ago it would have been presumed to be between two straight people. This is a progressive society we're living in.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/10/korean-man-marries-pillow_n_494122.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

I don't have a problem with polyamorous marriage being legalised at all tbh, if that's what consenting adults want then its none of my business. The Burke's scaremongering about it just struck me as hilariously juvenile and quaint, it was claiming that marriage equality is a slippery slope to the acceptance of paedophilia that enraged people.

Advertisement