Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a car without credit card

Options
  • 12-03-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I am heading back to Ireland next week for a few weeks and want to hire a car while I'm there. I lost my credit card and don't have time to get a replacement card. Has anyone had any experience with hiring a car with a visa debit card in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I've rented a motor from a company in Naas in the past couple of months, using Visa Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I have booked with Visa Debit in past (US & Europe) but many of them would only allow it if you were also buying their insurance to reduce excess I.e. they didn't have to pre-authorise card to cover excess.
    I usually but my insurance seperately or Vida travel insurance as rental companies gouge people on this.
    Best to check website or give them a call as policy varies between companies.

I am in Ireland at moment and was amazed I got a mid-sized car for 120e for 14 days, that's less than 9e p/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks lads. I managed to get myself a credit card so its all good. Has anyone used worldwide insure to cover the excess for the car hire? Its £45 for a multitrip policy for the year and it seems like good value as the excess reduction through car hire companies usually costs more than the car hire itself.

aido79 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I managed to get myself a credit card so its all good. Has anyone used worldwide insure to cover the excess for the car hire? Its £45 for a multitrip policy for the year and it seems like good value as the excess reduction through car hire companies usually costs more than the car hire itself.

Not sure if it was that specific one but always use either travel insurance or get car hire cover from external company like you mentioned. Never had to make a claim but have had no issues with any of companies I used. Just be sure to read what's covered and specifically excluded in policy.

Car hire companies will always try to scare you at counter telling you everything you will be liable for if you don't take their "platinum" cover, this spiel usually works and they generate a huge portion of profit on pedalling these policies. Getting your own cover in advance can save you huge amount if you rent for any decent amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Just a quick question.
    I rented through Avis last year at Dublin airport, I had travel insurance that was covering 5000AuD excess but they still put something like 2000euro hold on my card. It was that or an increased daily rate. I argued for ages but the clerk stuck to his guns saying that was their policy. Few years back I used a different company and it was also a 2000euro hold on the card or higher daily rate.
    Are you saying that's all a ruse by the companies? I wasn't given any other option. I've heard that car hire in Ireland is notorious for this and to just accept it

• Advertisement

Just a quick question.
    I rented through Avis last year at Dublin airport, I had travel insurance that was covering 5000AuD excess but they still put something like 2000euro hold on my card. It was that or an increased daily rate. I argued for ages but the clerk stuck to his guns saying that was their policy. Few years back I used a different company and it was also a 2000euro hold on the card or higher daily rate.
    Are you saying that's all a ruse by the companies? I wasn't given any other option. I've heard that car hire in Ireland is notorious for this and to just accept it

I don't know about Avis but have had a car from Budget for last 2 weeks (just dropped back yesterday) and I told her I wanted no extra cover as my travel insurance covers $4000 excess, so all she charged my card was 100 ish euro deposit for fuel.

Have used Dollar and Thrifty in states and East Coast Car rental in Aus in last 12 months and same with all of them as well. Avis might have a different set of terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I don't know about Avis but have had a car from Budget for last 2 weeks (just dropped back yesterday) and I told her I wanted no extra cover as my travel insurance covers $4000 excess, so all she charged my card was 100 ish euro deposit for fuel.

Have used Dollar and Thrifty in states and East Coast Car rental in Aus in last 12 months and same with all of them as well. Avis might have a different set of terms.

It's only in Ireland that I've had this has happen. Rented here in NSW & QLD & in the US, never an issue. I must try Budget next time in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

If anyone else is stuck without a credit card, then you can rent a car from Enterprise without it, they simply take a deposit of around €500 on your debit card and you have to provide a utility bill showing your address. The debit card must be in the licence holders name. The deposit is back in your bank 3-4 days after you have returned the car. Ive used them about 30 times in the last 3 years using only a Visa Debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

If anyone else is stuck without a credit card, then you can rent a car from Enterprise without it, they simply take a deposit of around €500 on your debit card and you have to provide a utility bill showing your address. The debit card must be in the licence holders name. The deposit is back in your bank 3-4 days after you have returned the car. Ive used them about 30 times in the last 3 years using only a Visa Debit.

This is true with one massive exception , Dublin Airport - Enterprise require a Credit Card when picking up a car at the Airport - No Exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

galait wrote: »
    This is true with one massive exception , Dublin Airport - Enterprise require a Credit Card when picking up a car at the Airport - No Exceptions.

Didnt know that. You could just pop along to Swords then, only just up the road and pick up the car there. A bit of a pain, but if you have no credit card it would be worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement