Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords pulling a fast one...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Looking to get 3 H7 bulbs for the bike....just noticed this on the Halfords website. A H7 bulb "Designed for Motorbikes" that costs nearly twice the price of a similar bright H7 bulb.

How the FOOK is this designed especially for a motorbike and justify the price tag?

Are they taking the piss or what......! :mad::mad:

I can get the Osram Night breakers twin set for €26 ffs!

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_710165_langId_-1_categoryId_212381

Marketing at its finest. No doubt many people that dont know any better buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wow, I'm shocked to see a thread title like this one!

Shocked that it took so long to appear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well we all know that they can charge.....but this is a new low even for them.

I went looking for brake/rear light bulbs last week there and you buy generic ones motorbike specific ones. Both identical, both the same price but different packaging. I still don't understand the need to have bulbs in the Bike section in a package with a motorbike on it when it's just a standard bulb.

But at least they were the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Not just bike stuff either. Priced 6 side lights for the van.... 28euro.... 8 euro in a smaller garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I personally would never buy anything in that shop, it's a serious rip off.
    If I need anything I'd go to a proper motor factors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Odd one that...coincidentally i was lookin at the bulbs in Halfords a couple of weeks ago ...but they were the same price for both vehicles....thing to do is, dont buy anything with a picture of a bike on it...:P

OH ...and buy on Ebay..........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Isint theret somekind of watchdog for these things? Thats selling under false pretence and is illegal anywhere in Europe. Same as eircom used to sell theyre stupid unlimited broadband only to find out its actually limited to 60gb. Normally the shop would lose theyre license to trade if found true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Never buy their own brand bulbs, they are pure crap. I have my car 7 years and one of the dip bulbs blew after that time. Replaced it with their equivalent and it only lasted a couple of months. Pure rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

szatan84 wrote: »
    Isint theret somekind of watchdog for these things? Thats selling under false pretence and is illegal anywhere in Europe. Same as eircom used to sell theyre stupid unlimited broadband only to find out its actually limited to 60gb. Normally the shop would lose theyre license to trade if found true.

No one is forcing anyone to buy in Halfrauds. It's only illegal if they misrepresent the item. Pricing 2 similar items at a different price isn't against the law.

Without seeing the bulbs there could be a heavier duty build to take into account the more vibrations that bikes have compared to cars, but I seriously doubt it.

• Advertisement

Even if it was for a set it would be very dear......but for one bulb......FORGETABOUTIT!

Having said that, someone must be buying them if they are in stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They do some things cheap, I got a baby seat for the car in there about 2 months ago that was €70 cheaper than pretty much everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Del2005 wrote: »
    No one is forcing anyone to buy in Halfrauds. It's only illegal if they misrepresent the item. Pricing 2 similar items at a different price isn't against the law.

Well yeah. And no such thing as a licence to trade, unless you're a pub, tobacconist, bookies, pharmacist or similar.
    Without seeing the bulbs there could be a heavier duty build to take into account the more vibrations that bikes have compared to cars, but I seriously doubt it.

But they are designed for bikes - the design of the packaging has a bike on it...!

Plenty of weekend warriors with far more money than sense in the UK and I can only conclude that this is the market the Halfords bike section is chasing.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Bought stuff in there yesterday (various greases). Hadn't been in one in years (or ever?). Was always under the impression that they're cheap and decent quality, but myself was shocked at a lot of the prices of some of the stuff...

I have 10% off though, groupscheme thingy (one of many Mag Ireland benefits -- join!)...still though.

So where *is* "the best" place to buy our biking bits and bobs? I mean things like lights, fuses, electrics, oils, greases, cables, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

loadsa that stuff is general automotive supplies - theres a place called autocare on the old dundrum road which is my usual first stop, for both bike, and car odds and ends. Similarly tallaght auto parts (irishautoparts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

I got a tip on the shoulder last week by another biker to tell me my rear light was out it was working grand 10 minutes before!! Anyway had to head to halfords was the closest place still open (5:45pm) got there €8.99 for the bulb. Knew I also needed chain lube saw some castrol racing chain lube. Never looked at the price. Got to the till she asked for the guts of €30. Needs must and all that but will never use them again at them prices!!

I got a tip on the shoulder last week by another biker to tell me my rear light was out it was working grand 10 minutes before!! Anyway had to head to halfords was the closest place still open (5:45pm) got there €8.99 for the bulb. Knew I also needed chain lube saw some castrol racing chain lube. Never looked at the price. Got to the till she asked for the guts of €30. Needs must and all that but will never use them again at them prices!!

Trebob wrote: »

What kind of bulb was it? One with gold filaments!! I had to replace the Bandit's rear bulb a few weeks back and it was €4 for a pair of double filament bulbs. Go them elsewhere for cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

I got a set of tail bulbs for the bandit for a euro in the local auto factor, they're grand, no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Otoh, bought a Bosch S series car battery with a 5 year warranty for less than an auto factors. ....ymmv and all that. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    What kind of bulb was it? One with gold filaments!! I had to replace the Bandit's rear bulb a few weeks back and it was €4 for a pair of double filament bulbs. Go them elsewhere for cheaper.

They'd bloody well want to be gold but no box standatd double filament bulbs. Couldn't belive it myself but were needed there and then so had to be got.

As OP said they are good for the odd thing but way over the tops for most other stuff.

Advertisement