Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a database app with an android client

Options
  • 12-03-2014 5:19pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum.
    I'm looking for some advice on an android database app please.

I'd like to be able to use it as an assets register, we have coded a lot of equipment and would like to track its movement.

Initially a record would be entered for an item (via web on a PC or using the mobile app) , its code would be a primary key identifier.

So we could add in info across about 20 fields. The information would be hosted in the cloud.

Using an Android app we'd like to be able to update some of the fields by accessing the record for that asset and changing a filed or entering a new record for a new asset.

Ideally there would be web access to the database .

Essentially its a tool to build and manage a plant list, I'm sure something exits but some advice would be appreciated as I'm not hitting the spot on my play store searches.

Google apps was great for helping to add the items initially, but not great for retrieving items while on site, maybe I'm using it incorrectly but I built a form for entering the information i wanted, but once its entered I can't recall the record in form format (app friendly) I have to open up a google spreadsheet to find it again and that is too messy, I'd like to just type in its code and have the other fields auto populate so then i can update a field like Current Location. If the item was not entered before I could just fill in the field on site and update the database in the process.

Some way to query the information would be great like filtering power suppliers or batteries etc, this would most likely be carried out on a web site.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Basically you want a hosted custom database that you can access using an interface on multiple devices (PC, mobile, etc). Where it comes to mobile, your preference is Android.

I don't think there's a straightforward, out of the box, solution, I'm afraid. This one seems to cover most of your requirements, but you'd still have to find some way of hosting it and you'd need to design the database yourself.

At the end of the day, you're looking at either a 'best fit' free or low cost solution or a bespoke one developed for you, which won't be cheap.

Advertisement