Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolation of Aspirin From Commercial Tablets

Options
  • 12-03-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

During a recent experiment as part of my first year 3rd level chemistry course, I was attempting to isolate aspirin from commercial tablets.

I got to the stage where i had isolated crude aspirin with no issues but when i attempted to purify this i ended up with an immeasurable quantity..

Where could this have gone wrong?

#stumped

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Tell us what you actually did and maybe we can help! There are many ways in which it could have gone wrong...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Di acetyl Morphine !

During a recent experiment as part of my first year 3rd level chemistry course, I was attempting to isolate aspirin from commercial tablets.

I got to the stage where i had isolated crude aspirin with no issues but when i attempted to purify this i ended up with an immeasurable quantity..

Where could this have gone wrong?

#stumped

What do you mean by immeasurable?? Do you mean your yield is greater than the actual weight of the tablet (or the stated quantity of acetylsalicylic acid on the box ) ??

if so, try continuous vacuum filtration followed by a short stint in the oven at about 50°C for a few hours.

Advertisement