Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Sketch Maps

Options
  • 12-03-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Could somebody tell me the correct steps to drawing a sketch map please! I did it for our mocks and I didn't get great marks because our teacher never told us the correct way to do it. If you could tell me how to draw a sketch map for a map and aerial photograph it would help thank you ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

For a sketch map, follow these steps.

Measure half the length and width of the map given. Using these half dimensions draw the box for your sketch map.
    Given your map a title, e.g. Sketch map of Ballina, Co. Mayo (write this above the sketch map box).
    Draw a an arrow to the right of the sketch map with a N through it (you probably won't have to do this with an aerial photograph).
    Draw horizontal and vertical pencil lines through the half way points on the map give. Draw the two diagonal lines from each corner as well.

Draw these horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines on your sketch map (these will help your map to be more accurate). Draw them like this:

72w28y.jpg

Draw the outline of the areas on your sketch map.
    After this, erase the horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines on your sketch map.
    You always have to show sea/water areas and land.
    Show all the required features on your sketch map (e.g. Train station, river, Garda station, built-up area etc).
    Do not show any features that are not asked for, except land and sea.
    Make sure you have a key below your sketch map of the features you have drawn.

I hope I have helped, If there is anything you don't understand feel free to ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Draw your map, and make it's dimensions smaller than the real thing but still the same shape
    Give it a title
    Include your N arrow and the grid number (if needed)
    Draw the coastline in (again, it needed)
    Draw and label your features

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Thank you both so much!

When I got my Mock papers back the examiner had written beside the sketch map to:
    Put labels on sketch map...... even though I had a numbered key under it
    Draw it 9cm x 13cm to keep proportion ....... although I had it drawn to half scale

Does anybody have any idea what I`m doing wrong? Do you have to write the labels in on the sketch map?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Thank you both so much!

When I got my Mock papers back the examiner had written beside the sketch map to:
    Put labels on sketch map...... even though I had a numbered key under it
    Draw it 9cm x 13cm to keep proportion ....... although I had it drawn to half scale

Does anybody have any idea what I`m doing wrong? Do you have to write the labels in on the sketch map?

Do you mean by labels; as an example, if you draw a red dot for a train station you have to write train station above it? If that's what you mean, the examiner is wrong. You don't have to do that.
    You are supposed to draw it to half scale, nothing else. But for an aerial photograph, just draw it a suitable size.

Advertisement