Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which of these was the greatest trophy winning comeback?

• 12-03-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

A) United scoring 2 goals in injury time to beat Bayern 2-1 and win the 1999 Champion's League and thus complete the treble.

B) Liverpool coming back from 3-0 down at half-time versus AC Milan in the 2005 Champion's League final to end up winning on penalties.

C) Man City scoring twice in injury time to beat QPR on the last day of the season and win the 2011/2012 premier league on goal difference over Man United.

Which was the greatest? 253 votes

United
    0%
    Liverpool
    37%
    FenixBigConquarrymanThe_B_MansReq | uTeKlordgoatIagoBloodBathUnearthlyDacelonid[Deleted User]gustafoadoxhomerjay2005Dayshaciaran76NailzMars Barsyngindubdeise_boi 94 votes
    City
    56%
    PiEbyteSkySterAugmersonsuper_furryDcullymilltownmachiavellianmePsychedelicPompey Magnusgimmicksymbolickeano_afcjoe123jemel rabitosbad2daboneKimbotFirewalkwithmeBalmed Out 144 votes
    bastard!
    5%
    the whole year innInquitusRikandstiffler123Brussels Sproutkarma_NuigforceSanity_SaviourDarkglassesBig Pussy BonpensieroTimeToShinedarcedTalib FiascoDeanAustinmasti123 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The heart will of course say Liverpool, but have to admit, was slightly in awe of that Utd comeback as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Liverpool
    Much and all as I hate Liverpool it was a very impressive comeback but still I think 2 goals in 2 minutes is better than 3 goals in 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

City
    I'm an United fan but there is no arguing that it is Liverpool. Utterly compelling. They were being torn asunder and dragged themselves back into the game. Incredible. The fans singing at half time. You can't help but have admiration for what they did that night.

Obviously as a united fan, '99 was incredibly dramatic with how it happened.

City? Should be nowhere near this conversation. If Joey Barton didn't make a tit of himself, there wouldn't have been all that injury time. At the start of the day, City were playing relegation fodder, for the title, at home. Should have been a stroll in the park. Instead, they nearly shít themselves and Mr. Barton gave them a massive helping hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Liverpool
    Of course, they were all lovely comebacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

City
    n32 wrote: »
    Much and all as I hate Liverpool it was a very impressive comeback but still I think 2 goals in 2 minutes is better than 3 goals in 45 minutes.

It was 3 goals in 6 mins ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Either Utd or City.
    Liverpool only came back to draw level and subsequently won on penalties.

The two Manchester clubs came back to win their games in normal time.

bástard imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭abff

City
    Leinster in the 2012 Heineken Cup Final. Sorry, that's what occurred to me when I saw the title thread.

Of the three games mentioned, I think Liverpool's was the greatest comeback.

But Man City had an ever better comeback to win an FA cup replay 4-3 at White Hart Lane having been 3-0 down at half time and having a player sent off on his way down the tunnel at half time. And I say that as a long time Spurs fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

bastard!
    keith16 wrote: »
    City? Should be nowhere near this conversation. If Joey Barton didn't make a tit of himself, there wouldn't have been all that injury time. At the start of the day, City were playing relegation fodder, for the title, at home. Should have been a stroll in the park. Instead, they nearly shít themselves and Mr. Barton gave them a massive helping hand.

My rational for including City in this is that at the end of that match (regardless of how and why they got themselves into that situation) they had to score 2 goals in injury time. One goal wasn't going to buy them another half an hour of extra time like it would have for United. From a psychological point of view that's huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

bastard!
    Wasn't around for the first two options so I'm gonna have to go with C :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Michael Thomas, 1989 :cool:

Biased though! Otherwise probably Liverpools 05 CL win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

City
    abff wrote: »
    Leinster in the 2012 Heineken Cup Final.
    Go away. Liverpool for me. I'd rule out United right away because they only actually needed one goal to keep the tie going, what they did instead was amazing but the odds weren't quite as stacked against them as they would have been the other 2.

In terms of achievement Man City's probably was the most difficult to overcome, simply because they 100% needed to get 2 goals in that short a space a time to win the title.

But the Premiership doesn't have the prestige that winning the Champions League does, and to add to that, Liverpool were against a phenomenal AC Milan side, and Man City were against QPR, a side they really should have long comfortably dispatched before it got to the 90th minute.

Unreal drama it was, but greatest trophy winning comeback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Unreal drama it was, but greatest trophy winning comeback?

No, not really. I said I was biased!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

bastard!

Thought about including it but I didn't becasue they technically weren't actually losing the game at any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

City
    The United thing wasn't really a comeback as such, more a freak end to a game, two silly set pieces (Bayern fan here). Although of course United fans might disagree.
    The City thing I don't know. I suppose it took a bit of character but they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place with their means and quality. So while some credit is due its hard to break into accolades of grit and determination and all that when a team like City is concerned.
    As much as pains me to say it but the Liverpool CL win was probably the real thing. So easy to stop believing in anything at half time. These lads must have been so proud that night I'd say the will never forget that in their entire life. It was one of those occasions where even if you don't actually like the team in question you would still get a little overwhelmed with the occasion and the achievement and you just have to tip your hat.

No, not really. I said I was biased!

Fair enough.

Liverpool v Arsenal 2001 FA Cup final :D

City
    Either Utd or City.
    Liverpool only came back to draw level and subsequently won on penalties.

The two Manchester clubs came back to win their games in normal time.

Liverpool still had to withstand an onslaught in extra time and win the shootout. If were talking about psychology, most teams ain't coming back from 3-0 against the likes of Shevchenko, Crespo, Kaka' and Pirlo.

United and City were only a goal down.

City
    masti123 wrote: »
    Wasn't around for the first two options so I'm gonna have to go with C :)

Oh Christ. Now I feel old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Hmmm, Liverpool (fan here) weren't such a good team. They just kept going despite their biscans. UTD were a top team and used to comebacks. City were a great team and obviously dropping bricks.

Its always a deadly feat though. The more the merrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

City
    An alternate poll which would produce the exact same results - who do you support?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

City
    All amazing, so hard to separate.

As a Liverpool fan Istanbul will always seem like the most incredible.

As a rational argument, I would say it would be Liverpool's or City's (honestly not disparaging United here). My argument for this is that a draw would have taken United to extra time so at no point were they considered out of it. At no point were they more than 20/1 to lift the trophy (at a guess).

Whereas I imagine Liverpool were a good 80/1 at half time, and in-running with 5 minutes left, City must have been very long shots for the title (though thinking about maybe not as long as Liverpool).

By that criteria I would say the Liverpool CL win was the most incredible, the most jaw dropping, the most unbelievable.

All 3 were fantastic moments of drama, unbelievable to watch and the type of moments that make you realize what an incredible dramatic sport football is, that no other sport can come close to matching imo

City
    An alternate poll which would produce the exact same results - who do you support?

Well I voted Liverpool. So no, not the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Liverpool
    United without a doubt, had a few minutes to win the game, whereas they had a full half, and still couldn't finish a depleted Milan off in Extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Uniteds victory against Juventus in Semi was better. Juve were seriously good side. Best in Europe for 4 years till we beat them

Depotivo comeback in 2nd leg against Milan in CL few years ago stands out too

Middlesbrough comebacks against Basel and Steaua Bucharest deserve mention too. The years of both elude me at minute

traores.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wexford ten points down to Meath before Matty Forde kicked a last minute winner in the quarter final of the Leinster football championship in 2008 was the greatest comeback I ever bore witness to.

But for the purpose of this thread, I'd vote for United 1999 simply because I consider a penalty shootout a lottery and thus to win it like they done in injury time is a slightly more impressive feat. Genuine arguments for all three though of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

City
    Will say Liverpool - Milan, partially down to bias and partially down to them being such massive underdogs in the first place, nevermind at three goals down at HT.

Man City were big favourites to beat QPR and Man United had just won a domestic double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Liverpool
    United.

Penalty shootouts are a lottery.

OPR were on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

City
    Liverpool for me. At HT it looked like it was going to be an all out massacre and they completely turned the game around.

United was a smash and grab. There was a large element of luck involved.

City were playing a pants team and were hammering them all game. They should have had them beaten before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Liverpool
    Hard pick but for me Man U.

AC Milan let Liverpool back in after half time and Liverpool made the most of it. Special mention for Carra who put in a heros performance in the 2nd half.

Man City were up against weak opposition and really made hard work of it but to be fair some teams would have dropped the head that late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think it's slightly easier to get a 2nd last minute goal.Generally at a goal down in the last minute or so a team thinks they've . When the first goes in, what should happen is they keep calm , take the draw and go to extra time knowing they've been the better team ( bayern) .What tends to happen though is the team collectively go "oh ****, oh ****, oh ****" and start making mistakes and getting sloppy then concede again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liverpool
    CSF wrote: »
    In terms of achievement Man City's probably was the most difficult to overcome, simply because they 100% needed to get 2 goals in that short a space a time to win the title.

I have one big problem with this, and I think any neutral who watched the game will say the same thing.

Watching City besieging the QPR goal it was clear that if they scored one goal they were going to go on and score two. QPR had nothing left to play for, the final score didn't matter to them really, and once their defence had been breached they were always going to drop the heads and concede again.

I just cannot equate that with coming back in the Champions league final against Milan or Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Liverpool
    United. A comeback to win in normal time is better than a comeback to wind up winning through the lottery of penalties. A cleaner victory, if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

City
    Liverpool because they were 3-0 down and it was not really that huge of a surprise because this Milan team was expected to win and had been Champion's a couple of years before.

United's was pretty incredible too the way it happened but it wasn't just as great as the Liverpool comeback imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

bastard!
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Penalties are not a Lottery. It's footballers with a free one on one shot with a keeper they aren't flipping a coin or drawing lots.

If penalties are a lottery then the whole game is a lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Offalybeating limerick in 1994 hurling final beats at of the options given

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

City
    Penalties are not a Lottery. It's footballers with a free one on one shot with a keeper they aren't flipping a coin or drawing lots.

If penalties are a lottery then the whole game is a lottery.

Despise the penalties = lottery line.

A leveler yes, a lottery no.

Taking a penalty is a skill.

Dealing with huge mental pressure is a massive part of the game, and nowhere is it magnified more than in a shoutout.

Why do we always expect the Germans to always win and the English to always lose? Are they just somehow running amazingly well?

One of the most recurring and stupid football cliches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

bastard!
    That City match was the most remarkable 90 minutes of football I've ever watched. Can see an argument for each comeback though and I don't necessarily think any was more impressive than the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Always feel that when news came through that Bolton had been relegated regardless of the QPR City result, it made the difference. QPR had held out but the Bolton Stoke game finished before them so they knew they were safe.

Liverpool made a fantastic comeback but it went to penalties so not a great one.

United was a smash and grab so again not a great one, but as a United fan I will always rate that as the greatest result/comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Ya I'd agree on the Offaly Limerick one too!

But in terms of those options I'd have to go with City coming back to beat QPR and win the league. Simpkly becuase Liverpool had all that time to get the 3 and United didn't actually need Solskjaer's goal that night. Well of course they needed it but even without it they would have had another 30 minutes to win the tie. City had to get 2 goals in those 3 or 4 minutes and they got them. It was just unbelievable drama

City
    Ya I'd agree on the Offaly Limerick one too!

But in terms of those options I'd have to go with City coming back to beat QPR and win the league. Simpkly becuase Liverpool had all that time to get the 3 and United didn't actually need Solskjaer's goal that night. Well of course they needed it but even without it they would have had another 30 minutes to win the tie. City had to get 2 goals in those 3 or 4 minutes and they got them. It was just unbelievable drama

What about all that time city had? 38 games the league is played over or so I'm told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

City
    I remember them both vividly, as a Liverpool fan I still expected Utd to at least level the match in 99, they were only 1 goal down, so not totally out of it.
    Didn't think it would finish up exactly the way it did.

05- 3 nil down at half time against Milan, 99.9% sure we wouldn't come back, but we did, Dudek's save from Shevechenko and then to win on peno's after missing one in normal time, amazing stuff.

So Liverpool for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

City
    Red Sox v Yankees 2004 AL Championship after 3 games down in best of 7. First and only time it's been done.

For this thread, Liverpool. That City and that United team were both full of class players. Liverpool's was a real team victory. Milan were better man for man which made the comeback all the better.

The other 2 weren't exactly underdog stories, Liverpool really was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liverpool was the best one Though city and united had more end of game dramatics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Liverpool
    United for me!
    United won their game. Liverpool drew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

City
    Even as a United fan, I think it has to be Liverpools..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liverpool
    united in 99 without a doubt.... game was over uefa had the Bayern ribbons on the trophy, lothar mattaus sitting on the line with a big smile on his face, 2 goals in 3 mins was unbelievable still get goose bumps every time I see the goals..

Liverpools was a brilliant comeback but they had 45 min to score 3 goals, another 30 mins then to score another and couldn't and won on penos

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

City
    The Mulk wrote: »
    I remember them both vividly, as a Liverpool fan I still expected Utd to at least level the match in 99, they were only 1 goal down, so not totally out of it.
    Didn't think it would finish up exactly the way it did.

05- 3 nil down at half time against Milan, 99.9% sure we wouldn't come back, but we did, Dudek's Double save from Shevechenko and then to win on peno's after missing one in normal time, amazing stuff.

So Liverpool for me

FYP ;)

Liverpool, a team consisting of Djimi Traore a very poor Harry Kewell and a few other poor players coming back from 3-0 down against one of the best sides in europe with some of the best players in world football at the time has to win this one hands down.

City - They had a team full of quality

Utd - They too had a team full of quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement