Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Pinot Grigio Kits?

Options
  • 12-03-2014 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Heading to Galway for the weekend so might pop into HBW for a look.

We're thinking of getting a decent Pinot Grigio Kit. Any recommendations?

Or any other wine kits, red or white you would recommend.

Thanks.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have a California Connoisseur Pinot Grigio burping away in the fermentor at the moment. I haven't made it before, but the California Connoisseurs I've made before were very drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

I made the Solomon Grundy Platinum Pinot Grigio Kit as my first one for Christmas gone. I was actually surprised with the clarity of the wine especially when filing the bottles because they was little or no sediment (apart from in the secondary fermenter).

Overall the wine would have been nicer with time but it didn't last to long. A total of 32 bottles made. It tasted very similar to a 7 euro bottle of wine although somebody might say different. I would definitely get it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Great thanks.

And how do you guys bottle the wine?

I have made gallon batches of WOW and blackberry wine before and just re-used screwtops or hand pressed the corks halfway into the bottles.

I'd be concerned doing that with a 30 bottle batch as some of the bottles would probably be sitting around for months. What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

And how do you guys bottle the wine?

I reuse the screw caps and haven't had a problem. I just make sure its the same cap that was on the bottle, just to ensure it seals properly. ;)

In terms of lasting a couple of months, i don't see a problem. My dad did a blackberry wine and even after a couple of months, the bottle let out a bit of pressure that it formed in between. The Pinot Grigio kits will mostly be fermented out when you start to bottle so you shouldn't have a problem here either. Just make sure its chilled for the good summer we'll have this year :cool:

Just to add, my pinot grigio came out at around 8.5%, not sure if this is low for the kit though

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

The australian blend Pinot Grigio is very good, i have made 3 times now and always goes down well.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to bag-in-box this one (it's a six-bottle kit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

richie.c wrote: »
    The australian blend Pinot Grigio is very good, i have made 3 times now and always goes down well.

Likewise...

Advertisement