Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGC 2403

• 12-03-2014 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Got the scope out the one clear night we had in a while. The moon was very bright unfortunately. Here is NGC 2403 - somehow a big galaxy that isn't a Meissner object.

fknqlu.jpg

30x3 minute exposures at iso 800 autoguided. Quite disappointed to be honest, I thought so much exposure would show more detail on an 11inch scope. Might be the lunar light overpowered it. No flats either, was too tired.

Which do people think is better
    90x1 minute crystal sharp images or 30x3 minute sharp images or 9x10 minute ok images for astrophotography?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Which do people think is better
    90x1 minute crystal sharp images or 30x3 minute sharp images or 9x10 minute ok images for astrophotography?

There is no right way to know unfortunately. Really depends on ligh pollution, conditions etc.
    I always say that stacking doesn't make bad pictures look good, what it does it makes good pictures better.
    What I would recommend is to bump up the ISO a bit more to catch more of those photons. Personally with my DSLR I am not going lower than ISO 1200.But I am using only 80mm scope tho.never done AP on bigger ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

What camera you using ThatDrGuy ?... id also say bump the ISO up to at least 1600 to get more detail in those exposures.

Great shot still though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Thanks guys. I was using a Cannon 350D ( un modded ). Great suggestion on increasing the iso - I was doing ten minute exposures at 200 and getting very little before I even cottoned on to increasing it to 800. 1600 would have been much better.

Advertisement