Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sculpture on Seafront

Options
  • 12-03-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

I heard there is a new sculpture on the seafront near St. David's. Anybody know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Cerco wrote: »
    I heard there is a new sculpture on the seafront near St. David's. Anybody know anything about it?
    I will post a photo tomorrow if there is a sculpture there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

From the Bray People
    A bronze teddy-bear sculpture by Patrick O'Reilly has been commissioned for Greystones to commemorate the late Caroline Dwyer-Hickey ,who passed away last year at the age of 35 after a nine-year battle with cancer.

The Caroline Foundation and the local Tidy Towns association will install the sculpture overlooking the sea as a memoriam.

The announcement was made at last week's meeting of Greystones Town Council.

Cllr. Kelleher asked that pictures be provided to show what the sculpture will look like.

The members heard that sketches are available of the actual sculptures. Some had already seen photographs of similar sculptures at committee level. Cllr. George Jones said they are 'very tasteful'.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Seen pictures on various facebook pages and it looks great :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Any link to the pics?

Jimjay wrote: »
    Seen pictures on various facebook pages and it looks great :-)

A few on this page
    https://m.facebook.com/davidoreillylocal/photos/ms.711959935514355.711959895514359.711959878847694.711959892181026.711959932181022.bps.a.711959862181029.1073741832.629984790378537/711959935514355/?type=1&source=48

There is also a facebook page for selfies with the sculpture but cant find it right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I think the sentiment is lovely, poor lady only 35....

But I wouldnt be a fan of the sculpture itself, from the picture above I think it looks pretty big etc... sorry :cool:

cocker5 wrote: »
    I think the sentiment is lovely, poor lady only 35....

But I wouldnt be a fan of the sculpture itself, from the picture above I think it looks pretty big etc... sorry :cool:

Can see it wont be to everyones taste. I think its good for greystones, shows our artistic side :-)

I think it looks neat. Will have to see it for myself though to see whats its like with the view and surrounding area. Will certainly be a talking point for people passing on their seafront walk

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Look like the bears down by the O2/Point?

JanneG wrote: »

I heard its the same artist

Jimjay wrote: »
    I heard its the same artist

That could explain that alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JanneG wrote: »
    Identical I'd say.

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Ireland/South/Dublin/photo1432240.htm

13130646905_161493c381_c.jpg
    Beach Bear (21) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

13130856653_79fcccc7a9_c.jpg
    Beach Bear (3) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Alun wrote: »

other than the bucket and spade, yes... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Read through some of the facebook comments - more negative comments than I would have expected for something 'artistic'. For me I suppose I will reserve judgement till I see it in the flesh.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Read through some of the facebook comments - more negative comments than I would have expected for something 'artistic'. For me I suppose I will reserve judgement till I see it in the flesh.

Artistic - not too sure people see it as that to be honest.

I had a look last night while out on my nightly walk, and to be totally honest if they had of put it in the childrens playground in Greystones, it probably would look great, Pixbyjohn is correct they seem to love it (a number of kids delighted with it when i walked by last night). if it were erected there then it would be perfect and appropiate - IMO

Its quiet big 6/7 foot, kinda brash looking to be honest. It kinda spoils the view somewhat. I shudder to think how much Wicklow council spent of it considering it was "commissioned" etc.

Anyway in the right setting it would be good (children playgroud etc) but IMO it doesnt fit in where it is placed, looks garish infact.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Artistic - not too sure people see it as that to be honest.

I had a look last night while out on my nightly walk, and to be totally honest if they had of put it in the childrens playground in Greystones, it probably would look great, Pixbyjohn is correct they seem to love it (a number of kids delighted with it when i walked by last night). if it were erected there then it would be perfect and appropiate - IMO

Its quiet big 6/7 foot, kinda brash looking to be honest. It kinda spoils the view somewhat. I shudder to think how much Wicklow council spent of it considering it was "commissioned" etc.

Anyway in the right setting it would be good (children playgroud etc) but IMO it doesnt fit in where it is placed, looks garish infact.
    I think a charity paid for it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I think a charity paid for it

Ahh ok.... apologies in the link above someone else posted i thought it suggested that Wicklow council or Greystones Tidy towns or something had paid for it or somewhat towards it - my mistake.

Im just sure it cost probably 30k or something and whoever paid for it the funds could have been better spent etc - thats all....

The sentiment for the lady who passed away is lovely... the poor woman and her family etc. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Im just sure it cost probably 30k or something and whoever paid for it the funds could have been better spent etc - thats all....
    :(

Sending people into space / dying children
    Military Budget / Vaccination programs
    Street Art / Pot Holes
    etc
    etc

Its a whimsical piece of art that will devide opinion regardless of reason for it's installation.

On a somewhat contentious note and I mean no disrespect - is the seafront along by St Davids to become a memorial park - where the next installation might be radically different or bigger and better? As it stands the area (despite the road and footpath changes last year) is still, in my opinion one of the most attractive parts of Greystones - I'd hate to see it's natural coastal beauty impacted further. In other words... thanks but that's enough now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Generally I like things of this nature, unusual sculptures and follies, but from the pictures posted I'm not keen on this - it looks more like an angry rat to me. Perhaps it will look different in real life.

On a somewhat contentious note and I mean no disrespect - is the seafront along by St Davids to become a memorial park - where the next installation might be radically different or bigger and better? As it stands the area (despite the road and footpath changes last year) is still, in my opinion one of the most attractive parts of Greystones - I'd hate to see it's natural coastal beauty impacted further. In other words... thanks but that's enough now

I actually said this last night while out on a walk, didnt want to mention it in previous post as thought id be savaged for being "uncaring" etc and again no disrespect, but every bench is now dedicated to a loved one...

now a bunny is planted there... it does seem the bigger the better, its like a "trend" or something and i too agree enough is enough with all these additions they will not add to the beauty of the seafront only take away from it.

Again enough already

poldebruin wrote: »
    Generally I like things of this nature, unusual sculptures and follies, but from the pictures posted I'm not keen on this - it looks more like an angry rat to me. Perhaps it will look different in real life.

pretty much looks like what you described in real life TBH :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

To be perfectly frank... It's hideous and not the right setting for it.

This is no reflection on the lady whom it commemorates but rather on the piece itself. I don't get the relevance of the teddy bear with the site - the memorial benches are practical and unobtrusive but this irrelevant and out of scale. Bad decision all round !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

legrand wrote: »

On a somewhat contentious note and I mean no disrespect - is the seafront along by St Davids to become a memorial park - where the next installation might be radically different or bigger and better? As it stands the area (despite the road and footpath changes last year) is still, in my opinion one of the most attractive parts of Greystones - I'd hate to see it's natural coastal beauty impacted further. In other words... thanks but that's enough now.

This was also my first thought. How many more memorials are going to be on the seafront. The benches are obviously also practical but an oversized sculpture seems a bit ott (no disrespect to the person it is in memory of) but going forward whats to stop there being lots more sculptures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

We have a beautiful elevated sea view along that stretch of road..its hard to improve on such a natural vista..however as we can see with this "sculpture' its very easy to take away.....enough is enough already with street furniture blocking the view along here..as mentioned above the childrens park would be more suitable..or burnaby park etc..i wonder how much imput the manufacturer had in the location..very sad about the poor girl r.i.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

compare the current vista with this

I'm generally in favour of cycle lanes and public art but I think Wicklow Co. Co. have dropped the ball on this, sometimes less is more (I'm not keen on the proliferation of granite memorial benches either).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DDD6

Message sent to the internationally renowned designer/artist Patrick O'Reilly this evening from an art expert......
    "Just to let you know that you now have Greystones, Co. Wicklow in a joyful spin since 'Beach Bear' was erected yesterday. What a wonderful piece of work! The general consensus is that it is a 'she' due to the voluptuous figure and long eyelashes. I think the town is privileged to have such a quality piece of art to enjoy every day, and also feel very grateful to the Hickey family for donating it in memory of Caroline Hickey."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

It's a total eyesore. I think it could become easily vandalised and I've no doubt that bucket will become a bin very shortly full of rubbish.

Not a fan at all of this although I like the idea of putting something in memory of a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Personally I think it is great. Its fun, energetic and a crowd puller. The children absolutely love it and its a conversation piece. It even directs you to where you can build sandcastles! :D Also think the colour and metal works well with the surrounding environment.

Whatever about putting up monuments to remember someone - I think the intentions have been lost in the criticisms. You will never ever keep everyone happy but it was a costly investment to give a well used walkway something to smile about.

I think the only eyesore in our village are those varying shapes and shades of brown dog poo that lines the paths and not this contribution.

And its a bank holiday ;)

Advertisement