Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sculpture on Seafront

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Car2318 wrote: »
    Personally I think it is great. Its fun, energetic and a crowd puller. The children absolutely love it and its a conversation piece. It even directs you to where you can build sandcastles! :D Also think the colour and metal works well with the surrounding environment.

Whatever about putting up monuments to remember someone - I think the intentions have been lost in the criticisms. You will never ever keep everyone happy but it was a costly investment to give a well used walkway something to smile about.

I think the only eyesore in our village are those varying shapes and shades of brown dog poo that lines the paths and not this contribution.

And its a bank holiday ;)

Agree with you on the dog poo - its a problem in Greystones.

General opinion seems to be very negative...

Personally i think the view, prior to the recent installation was something to smile about, not so much anymore.

Its an eye sore, yes the kids love it... then move it to the play ground... everybody will be happy.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

DDD6 wrote: »
    Message sent to the internationally renowned designer/artist Patrick O'Reilly this evening from an art expert......
    "Just to let you know that you now have Greystones, Co. Wicklow in a joyful spin since 'Beach Bear' was erected yesterday. What a wonderful piece of work! The general consensus is that it is a 'she' due to the voluptuous figure and long eyelashes. I think the town is privileged to have such a quality piece of art to enjoy every day, and also feel very grateful to the Hickey family for donating it in memory of Caroline Hickey."

Huh, what a load of tripe! As was once said of a realist (by I think Oscar Wilde - now THERE us an aporopriately placed abd beautiful memorial) so it could be also said of a lot of these "experts" - "someone who knows the (in this case) brilliance of everything and the value of nothing" ... The appropriate place for this heap of junk is the scrap yard - - now where is the number of that transit van I saw crawling by yesterday .......

Car2318 wrote: »
    Personally I think it is great. Its fun, energetic and a crowd puller. The children absolutely love it and its a conversation piece. It even directs you to where you can build sandcastles! :D Also think the colour and metal works well with the surrounding environment.

Whatever about putting up monuments to remember someone - I think the intentions have been lost in the criticisms. You will never ever keep everyone happy but it was a costly investment to give a well used walkway something to smile about.

I think the only eyesore in our village are those varying shapes and shades of brown dog poo that lines the paths and not this contribution.

And its a bank holiday ;)

..... "Directs you where to build sandcastles" .... How on earth did we manage without it for all these years!?! ... I think you may have overdosed on the Pollyanna my dear ..... I prescribe a long lie-down in a darkened room and a cold compress !

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

..... "Directs you where to build sandcastles" .... How on earth did we manage without it for all these years!?! ... I think you may have overdosed on the Pollyanna my dear ..... I prescribe a long lie-down in a darkened room and a cold compress !

Oh don't be such a dramatic bully - give your opinion and keep the personal overtones for time spent alone listening to Morrissey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Keep it civil folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 grouser

Let's lighten up and support some fun. This is a playful addition to the seafront, which is reflects its location very well in my view. I trust the simple, straightforward, and practically unanimous, approval of the children who see it. Inevitably, some people may not like it, but good art need not have universal approval.

Happily, we have adopted much new public art - particularly sculpture - in recent years, especially on the new road network, and this is another example from the noted young Irishman (currently based in France) who also provided the bears outside the Point in Dublin.

So, I vote YES to the beach bear! I bet many of the early doubters would vote similarly in six months time.

grouser wrote: »
    Let's lighten up and support some fun. This is a playful addition to the seafront, which is reflects its location very well in my view. I trust the simple, straightforward, and practically unanimous, approval of the children who see it. Inevitably, some people may not like it, but good art need not have universal approval.

Happily, we have adopted much new public art - particularly sculpture - in recent years, especially on the new road network, and this is another example from the noted young Irishman (currently based in France) who also provided the bears outside the Point in Dublin.

So, I vote YES to the beach bear! I bet many of the early doubters would vote similarly in six months time.

Yes your right the kids do love it, so like many have suggested on here and on the Greystones guide move it to the playground and then the beach bear would be great!

Where it is it's hideous and doesn't add to the view / scene it detracts from it.

It's too big , obtrusive, and brash looking in its current location... Most people agree with this... I for one won't be 'for the beach bear' in 6 months Infact ill probably hate it more!

Move it to a suitable location and then the kids will be happy, locals will be happy and more importantly we'll get back a stunning view instead of the eye sore!

grouser wrote: »

Sorry, I definitely don't agree with you.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Yes your right the kids do love it, so like many have suggested on here and on the Greystones guide move it to the playground and then the beach bear would be great!

Where it is it's hideous and doesn't add to the view / scene it detracts from it.

It's too big , obtrusive, and brash looking in its current location... Most people agree with this... I for one won't be 'for the beach bear' in 6 months Infact ill probably hate it more!

Move it to a suitable location and then the kids will be happy, locals will be happy and more importantly we'll get back a stunning view instead of the eye sore!

Hear, hear... Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 toxytag

Can't believe the negative comments people are posting on hear. I walked by it this morning and kids were loving the new sculpture and getting there photos taken beside it! This is all the family wanted as Caroline was a school teacher and loved to see kids enjoying life. So can people just accept the sculpture and if it's putting smiles on children's faces it's a very welcome addition to Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

I think it will become iconic and that it will draw families and children to the area; that no trip to Greystones beach will be complete with a visit to see The Bear. Imaginative grown ups will create legends about it for their children ... e.g. 'Rub the Bear's nose and your dreams will come true.' It will become a part of children's childhoods. I think it is a very welcome addition to the area.

toxytag wrote: »
    Can't believe the negative comments people are posting on hear. I walked by it this morning and kids were loving the new sculpture and getting there photos taken beside it! This is all the family wanted as Caroline was a school teacher and loved to see kids enjoying life. So can people just accept the sculpture and if it's putting smiles on children's faces it's a very welcome addition to Greystones.

I think you've overlooked the fact that those opposed to the sculpture have said that this is not a reflection in the lady who died. It is the siting of this work that has irked us. Those opposed to it would be delighted if it was placed in the children's playground where they are dire to enjoy it. It doesn't relate to it's current site in any shape, make not form and spoils the vista.

I think it will become iconic and that it will draw families and children to the area; that no trip to Greystones beach will be complete with a visit to see The Bear. Imaginative grown ups will create legends about it for their children ... e.g. 'Rub the Bear's nose and your dreams will come true.' It will become a part of children's childhoods. I think it is a very welcome addition to the area.

Sure, just move it somewhere more appropriate! Suggestions have been made. It's an eyesore where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I wonder about any public consultation on this. The first I knew about it was this thread. What is the process for all these 'memorial structures' (and I include the benches in this) and seeing what the public thinks of such an idea.

I think it is an odd sculpture, with no meaning. When I saw it in the flesh today I didn't even see a plaque to say what it is, or its purpose. At least the benches have a statement of sort. And on a side note, while walking the strip today I spotted a couple sitting on one of the benches. It was a perfect photo op from behind, but I didn't feel the memorial text would capture the essence of the photo - there'll be too much focus on the bench rather than the couple.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

13175591934_a848740eb4_c.jpg
    Beach Bear, Greystones by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Astro, there will be a plaque beside it shortly

pixbyjohn wrote: »

No let's leave it where it is obscuring the natural beauty of the seafront of Greystones.... Cause it adds to the beauty... NOT!

Even that photo posted makes my blood boil!
    A beautiful photo spoilt by an ugly rapid rat making its way to the beach!!

What a pity... Put it somewhere appropiate (playground) or get rid if it forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No let's leave it where it is obscuring the natural beauty of the seafront of Greystones.... Cause it adds to the beauty... NOT!

Even that photo posted makes my blood boil!

What a pity... Put it somewhere appropiate (playground) or get rid if it forever!!

Its not like you have to stand with it in your way of the view, nor is it in the way of the nicest spot to enjoy the view from. One location on a long enough stretch, and not in front of the seats on he way that offer the nicest views.

Really think people are getting their knickers in a twist over its placing for no reason.

My issue with the statue is that it is fugly.

pixbyjohn wrote: »

A plaque will do nothing to remedy the eyesore it is nor compensate for how it spoils the view.

Its not like you have to stand with it in your way of the view, nor is it in the way of the nicest spot to enjoy the view from. One location on a long enough stretch, and not in front of the seats on he way that offer the nicest views.

Really think people are getting their knickers in a twist over its placing for no reason.

My issue with the statue is that it is fugly.

I don't agree with a lot of what you said but I couldn't agree more with your opinion of the sculpture itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

If it wasnt in the photo you would see a little bit more sea and a bit more cloud! Dont see how it spoils the view, i could stand next to it and see some more sea.

I agree that it looks more like a rat than a bear though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Muas Tenek

You guys need to give this a nickname.

Take a leaf out of Dublin's book - remember "The Stiletto in the Ghetto", "The Tart with the Cart", The Chime in the Slime" or the "Whore in the Sewer".

I suggest "The Rat on the Path" :D

JK I believe that all art takes time to come to terms with and eventually this will become an endearing part of the landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

What a whimsical juxtaposition of the childhood dreams of teddy bears, beaches, buckets and spades and modern art..

It lifts the spirits to see this gambolling creature reflected in the light of a sunny morning..

It certainly doesn't look like a fox in a gimp suit, a campaign for Greystones sex shop or a huge carbuncle on the coast... Oh philistines repeat...

It is so loved that BP overheard a group of connoisseurs suggesting dedicated CCTV so that troubled youth would not take out their anger upon poor teddy..

Nicknames?

Gimpy
    Turdy
    Folly
    Bearly the Fox
    Who cares bear
    Boo boo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Sculpture to be unveiled this morning. ( Article in Today's Irish Times ...Thursday 20th.) Planning permission not required because Town Council involved.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/greystones-tidy-towns-committee-and-town-council-to-unveil-controversial-seaside-bear-1.1731298

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I think it looks cool, made the front of The Times this morning. Now you're harbour on the other hand is vile.

Cerco wrote: »
    Sculpture to be unveiled this morning. ( Article in Today's Irish Times ...Thursday 20th.) Planning permission not required because Town Council involved.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/greystones-tidy-towns-committee-and-town-council-to-unveil-controversial-seaside-bear-1.1731298

€126,000???? for that?? please tell me this is a joke?

:eek::eek:

They were robbed and Im sure the money could have been better spent by the Charity itself... what a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

€126,000???? for that?? please tell me this is a joke?

:eek::eek:

They were robbed and Im sure the money could have been better spent by the Charity itself... what a shame

This is a memorial to the guys daughter. To him it is worth that to have an ever lasting monument to her and a gift to greystones, so it doesnt matter to us how much it cost. I presume he doesnt see it as a joke. I am sure they are doing many good things and putting a lot more money in to the charity than that.

I also bet that the story in te times will bring a few extra tourists to the area too. Which will spend money in the local community.

Jimjay wrote: »
    This is a memorial to the guys daughter. To him it is worth that to have an ever lasting monument to her and a gift to greystones, so it doesnt matter to us how much it cost. I presume he doesnt see it as a joke. I am sure they are doing many good things and putting a lot more money in to the charity than that.

I also bet that the story in te times will bring a few extra tourists to the area too. Which will spend money in the local community.

Ive already stated in my previous thread its a very sad story and the sentiment for his daughter is understandable etc. But spending charity money to that level is crazy IMO. and the fact is its all about personal opinion, I think its ugly (as do many many people in Greystones) and for €126,000 for what is all in all a giant rat on the seafront is crazy... and at the end of the day we all live here, have to look at it, so everyones opinion counts.

From the Irish Times Article...

"however, its ambiguous head and mean determined expression gives it a rather sinister look. Marching fast with its outsized feet it cuts a swastika like shape against the sky”.

Really is this what greystones will be remembered for?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

No not €126,000 - read again..
    "Des O’Brien, director of services with Wicklow County Council, said planning permission was not required as the council was a party to the initiative. He said planning law provided an exemption, even in architectural conservation areas, when the council was involved and the structure cost less than €126,000"

Talk about waxing lyrical - Colum Ó Broin of Greystones Tidy Towns said the sculpture is..
    "marching, purposefully determined bear, echoes the ebb and flow of the neighbouring sea by lifting the lowest of emotions and planting the warmest of feelings, firmly in the heart of those who are lucky enough the pass within its all-embracing shadow"

Erm no. Does Mr Ó Broin always talk like this or did he spend time considering and delighting in his own fantasy prose? What codswallop.

legrand wrote: »
    No not €126,000 - read again..
    "Des O’Brien, director of services with Wicklow County Council, said planning permission was not required as the council was a party to the initiative. He said planning law provided an exemption, even in architectural conservation areas, when the council was involved and the structure cost less than €126,000"

Talk about waxing lyrical - Colum Ó Broin of Greystones Tidy Towns said the sculpture is..
    "marching, purposefully determined bear, echoes the ebb and flow of the neighbouring sea by lifting the lowest of emotions and planting the warmest of feelings, firmly in the heart of those who are lucky enough the pass within its all-embracing shadow"

Erm no. Does Mr Ó Broin always talk like this or did he spend time considering and delighting in his own fantasy prose? What codswallop.

Sorry your are correct.. less than €126,000... that figure came from somewhere.. so more than likely €125k plus some...

Either way its very sad for the family loosing a daughter at the age of 35 - devastating infact, so i hope they are all ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nicknames?

Gimpy
    Turdy
    Folly
    Bearly the Fox
    Who cares bear
    Boo boo
    Pity "Poo Bear" is already taken, with all the dog crap around the town.

Advertisement