Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sculpture on Seafront

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cocker5 wrote: »
    Sorry your are correct.. less than €126,000... that figure came from somewhere.. so more than likely €125k plus some...

Either way its very sad for the family loosing a daughter at the age of 35 - devastating infact, so i hope they are all ok.
    the 126k refers to the planning is how I read that?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

the 126k refers to the planning is how I read that?

No planning was required....

Des O’Brien, director of services with Wicklow County Council, said planning permission was not required as the council was a party to the initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I think the bear is great. She is interesting, strong, determined but most of all fun. Id like to think these are attributes of the person the bear is in memory of.
    Im proud to have such a piece of art on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

personally i think its cheerful and a break from the norm. might have been better placed- outside the dart station maybe but on the whole its a thumbs up from me. cant understand the angst this is causing when those (presumably) council erected plinths/lecterns with pictures of seabirds barely stirred a disgruntled murmur hereabouts... now THEY'RE fugly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

**Nothing to do with the deceased in question***

What about my father who died a couple of years ago, he was a popular man in town, he loved shooting, can I pay someone to erect an 8foot statue of a duck shooting a gun?

I am honestly asking.. or is it only people who died young/in tragic circumstances ?

Or is it to do with how much money I have?

This was not put to any vote I could register my view on, it is a family memorial erected by a wealthy family who bypassed all process for their own gains and to make themselves feel nice as they remember their loss, however to fool themselves into thinking they are benefactors of the community, they are not (In my view anyway)

I think the process of slipping this into place in such a stealthily fashion without public consultation is a disgrace and questions need to be asked about the legality of this installation.

• Advertisement

**Nothing to do with the deceased in question***

What about my father who died a couple of years ago, he was a popular man in town, he loved shooting, can I pay someone to erect an 8foot statue of a duck shooting a gun?

I am honestly asking.. or is it only people who died young/in tragic circumstances ?

Or is it to do with how much money I have?

This was not put to any vote I could register my view on, it is a family memorial erected by a wealthy family who bypassed all process for their own gains and to make themselves feel nice as they remember their loss, however to fool themselves into thinking they are benefactors of the community, they are not (In my view anyway)

I think the process of slipping this into place in such a stealthily fashion without public consultation is a disgrace and questions need to be asked about the legality of this installation.

Excellent point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I like the bear, my kids love it and it was very popular on St Patricks day.
    I'd have more of an issue with all the benches. To all intents and purposes sitting down on a seat that is dedicated to people you dont know is a bit weird, so I just move on and sit on the beach or wherever. There is just too many of them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Started into the usual BP rants for which I am loved but honestly all I can leave you with is these words -

'Life once tainted can be not repair'd nor returned to bright and shining wonder remembered ore the years..

'no monument or edifice can set aside the sadness nor bring back joy and wonder remembered ore the years..'

'seek not the joy of earthly things and wallow in their solace, rather look to those who still remain and love them ore the years..'

BP - Grey Stones and Blue Skies Anthology Vol.1

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

I like the bear, my kids love it and it was very popular on St Patricks day.
    I'd have more of an issue with all the benches. To all intents and purposes sitting down on a seat that is dedicated to people you dont know is a bit weird, so I just move on and sit on the beach or wherever. There is just too many of them now.

Looks like a graveyard of benches

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't see a difference between a bench dedicated to someone and an undedicated bench. In my experience, you'd be lucky to get one to sit on on a nice Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cocker5 wrote: »
    No planning was required....

Des O’Brien, director of services with Wicklow County Council, said planning permission was not required as the council was a party to the initiative.

Read it again. My reading of it is planning laws are exempt because the council is involved AND because it cost under 126k.

He said planning law provided an exemption, even in architectural conservation areas, when the council was involved and the structure cost less than €126,000"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Read it again. My reading of it is planning laws are exempt because the council is involved AND because it cost under 126k.

He said planning law provided an exemption, even in architectural conservation areas, when the council was involved and the structure cost less than €126,000"

I still read it the same but maybe you are correct.. different people different interpretation

still doesnst change the fact that its an eye sore TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

bido wrote: »

No, it looks like plenty of places to sit an admire a lovely view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

bido wrote: »

While we're erecting yokes along there and it seems to be so popular for memorials anyway why not go the whole hog and put some of that lovely harbour fencing along that stretch and designate it burial ground proper..make a few bob out of selling off plots..council/tidy towns could use the money im sure seems one of the last natural bits of coast just cant be left alone without somebody wanting to dig it up and concrete things on to it

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

That's the correct interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I think we should have a water slide going into the sea at a deep area. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Interesting art should divide opinion and challenge. What have we lost be virtue of this sculpture providing something unusual and playful? Very little. If you think the view is ruined just stand between the sculpture and the sea, problem solved.

Interesting art should divide opinion and challenge. What have we lost be virtue of this sculpture providing something unusual and playful? Very little. If you think the view is ruined just stand between the sculpture and the sea, problem solved.

Can I install a sculpture that I made?
    It's 10 feet tall, made of steel & concrete, in the shape of a wheely bin.
    I think it's great, it reminds me of something or other..
    If it ruins people's view, they can move to the left a bit and look past it.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Yes you can, if it costs lest than the €126K and the Council are party to it! Who care what everyone else thinks.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Yes you can, if it costs lest than the €126K and the Council are party to it! Who care what everyone else thinks.

Who cares what 'everyone' thinks? Should all art installations be subject to referendum by a populace that is largely visually illiterate? Would any great art have ever seen the light of day of Joe Public was consulted? I think it is great that some people are challenged and others delighted by this.

Nearly all significant works are met with indignation at first and people warm to them over time, I hope the council stands by their guns and does not bow to knee-jerk pressure to have this moved.

No.

Why?

Please give me a real answer..

Who cares what 'everyone' thinks? Should all art installations be subject to referendum by a populace that is largely visually illiterate? Would any great art have ever seen the light of day of Joe Public was consulted? I think it is great that some people are challenged and others delighted by this.

Nearly all significant works are met with indignation at first and people warm to them over time, I hope the council stands by their guns and does not bow to knee-jerk pressure to have this moved.

Actually having read your above ignorant uneducated and foolish post, I do not want a reply from you.

"largely visually illiterate"

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Actually having read your above ignorant uneducated and foolish post, I do not want a reply from you.

"largely visually illiterate"

Idiot.

BANNED

Maybe I was a bit strong there, it was not aimed at you personally. It's a fact though and not intended to offend. As a nation we are not like the French, Italians or Spanish, who have been lucky enough to grow up surrounded by the visual arts and a deep rooted appreciation for their cultural significance. We tend to like what we know, what we have seen, what we understand and what is safe. We are not used to being visually challenged therefor tend to react badly when we see something that looks out of place, or bold or innovative. Look at Remco de Fouws 'Perpertual Motion' in Naas. It was also greeted poorly at the time, the scale and nature of it was heavily criticised now it is a cultural icon and it is recognized and being a valued addition to our sculptural landscape. Same for the Spire.

This is a small sculpture, in a small coastal town, on a small island. It has artistic merit and personal significance (unlike your bin concept).

I think we can do worse than live with it and enjoy how it encourages debate. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Maybe I was a bit strong there, it was not aimed at you personally. It's a fact though and not intended to offend. As a nation we are not like the French, Italians or Spanish, who have been lucky enough to grow up surrounded by the visual arts and a deep rooted appreciation for their cultural significance. We tend to like what we know, what we have seen, what we understand and what is safe. We are not used to being visually challenged therefor tend to react badly when we see something that looks out of place, or bold or innovative. Look at Remco de Fouws 'Perpertual Motion' in Naas. It was also greeted poorly at the time, the scale and nature of it was heavily criticised now it is a cultural icon and it is recognized and being a valued addition to our sculptural landscape. Same for the Spire.

This is a small sculpture, in a small coastal town, on a small island. It has artistic merit and personal significance (unlike your bin concept).

I think we can do worse than live with it and enjoy how it encourages debate. :-)

He was my lecturer at ITCarlow. Nice chap, that Remco. :D

Advertisement