Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sculpture on Seafront

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Maybe I was a bit strong there, it was not aimed at you personally. It's a fact though and not intended to offend. As a nation we are not like the French, Italians or Spanish, who have been lucky enough to grow up surrounded by the visual arts and a deep rooted appreciation for their cultural significance. We tend to like what we know, what we have seen, what we understand and what is safe. We are not used to being visually challenged therefor tend to react badly when we see something that looks out of place, or bold or innovative. Look at Remco de Fouws 'Perpertual Motion' in Naas. It was also greeted poorly at the time, the scale and nature of it was heavily criticised now it is a cultural icon and it is recognized and being a valued addition to our sculptural landscape. Same for the Spire.

This is a small sculpture, in a small coastal town, on a small island. It has artistic merit and personal significance (unlike your bin concept).

I think we can do worse than live with it and enjoy how it encourages debate. :-)

But yet you thanked the Mod for banning him (even if he did call you an idiot).

I don't agree with your general assertion. It is still possible to disagree with and/or criticise specific Art (in whatever form) and still have an appreciation for Art in general. The fact that something sticks around for a long time does not necessarily mean that people have learnt to 'appreciate' it more - rather they have largely just got used to it. I personally view the current installation as an interesting piece of whimsy (and nothing more than that) that happens to be badly situated. That does not make one a luddite as your post seems to intimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It will be interesting to see if the sculpture becomes synonymous with Greystones. It's already made page 1 of the Times, can't remember the last time a sculpture did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

It will be interesting to see if the sculpture becomes synonymous with Greystones. It's already made page 1 of the Times, can't remember the last time a sculpture did that.

I'm sure it will make headlines again when the lads in white transits remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DDD6

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DDD6 wrote: »

"The now have a lovely harbour and a nice sea front walk"

heh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement