Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alfies bad knees, should i stop him running

• 12-03-2014 11:00pm

ok so i have posted here before about my dog alfie, but just a bit of background, i rescued him nearly 3 years ago, the rescue estimated he was approx 2 1/2 yrs old at the time. he had been rehomed twice before and brought back before i got him.

it took us both a while to get used to things, prob 6 months but we worked out a good system for both of us.

he runs and runs and runs, i bring him up the mountains and to the beach and anywhere really that he can run off lead.
    the only thing is now, he is obviously getting slower, older i suppose but he has injured both knees and the vet says he has arthritis in one and will develop it in the other.
    he runs off lead once a day and then thats him for the day. i would hate to think that he is in pain but some days he does seem very stiff.
    he gets the glaucosamate stuff every day.

my problem is walking him on a lead, i have never been able to walk him on a lead on the road. he just pulls forever, i have bought harnesses, helps a tiny bit, i have an extendable lead which is actually a little bit better.
    its impossible to walk him on a lead, he is just too excited everytime we go out.

its better for him and his knees if he could just walk easy beside me on the lead but is it too late for him?
    he is probably around 6 and has never walked properly on a lead.
    ive done the turn around walk the other way thing until the neighbours in my estate think im a lunatic!!

i guess my question is do i just keep on letting him run mad knowing it is damaging his knees or is there anyway at all he could ever learn to walk on the lead without pulling like a lunatic!!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

bubblypop wrote: »
    ok so i have posted here before about my dog alfie, but just a bit of background, i rescued him nearly 3 years ago, the rescue estimated he was approx 2 1/2 yrs old at the time. he had been rehomed twice before and brought back before i got him.

it took us both a while to get used to things, prob 6 months but we worked out a good system for both of us.

he runs and runs and runs, i bring him up the mountains and to the beach and anywhere really that he can run off lead.
    the only thing is now, he is obviously getting slower, older i suppose but he has injured both knees and the vet says he has arthritis in one and will develop it in the other.
    he runs off lead once a day and then thats him for the day. i would hate to think that he is in pain but some days he does seem very stiff.

my problem is walking him on a lead, i have never been able to walk him on a lead on the road. he just pulls forever, i have bought harnesses, helps a tiny bit, i have an extendable lead which is actually a little bit better.
    its impossible to walk him on a lead, he is just too excited everytime we go out.

its better for him and his knees if he could just walk easy beside me on the lead but is it too late for him?
    he is probably around 6 and has never walked properly on a lead.
    ive done the turn around walk the other way thing until the neighbours in my estate think im a lunatic!!

i guess my question is do i just keep on letting him run mad knowing it is damaging his knees or is there anyway at all he could ever learn to walk on the lead without pulling like a lunatic!!?

Firstly OP congrats on rehoming your dog – another life saved.

Secondly with regard to walking him on lead:

what breed is he?
    Reason I ask is my dog is terrible on the lead too, a body harness didn’t help his pulling at all, then I got a Dogmatic for him and it works a treat, makes walking him on lead a lot more enjoyable! for me a body harness gave him more body leverage to pull, so I’d def recommend you get a Dogmatic or something similar to help with the pulling, been using its 7 years now , it’s a god send, I bought it directly from the website below:

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

Thirdly his knees:

my guy had problems with his joints (he’s 9 next month) again like your guy he LOVES to run and run and run etc… so here’s what I do:

1.Give him Salmon oil each day in his food – this is great for his coat, skin and joints, I buy it directly from zooplus…. lasts me ages too http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/hair_skin/more_skin_and_coat_supplements/139892

2.Give him Arthir Aid – I give my guy the chews as the oil is like a butterscotch flavour and he doesn’t like it, he loves the chews though, this has helped a lot in the last year or so, my vet recommend it, you can get it through any decent vet or online, they are not cheap but have made a massive difference for my guy, I get mine form my vet:

http://nutri-science.net/arthriaid™-omega/

https://fetch.co.uk/arthriaid-omega-soft-chews-88409011#

OP to be honest he’s a dog and if he loves to run, then let him do it it’s what makes him happy, just try and help his joints but giving him the salmon oil, and the Arthir Aid, it will help protect his joints and slow down deterioration.

Also get a dogmatic head collar, this will mean you can mix it up with walking on lead / and running off lead so he still gets the best of both worlds and its more pleasurable to walk him etc.

I also give him liver (the smell is rotten when cooking) once a week and he goes mad for it…..

Hope this helps!

do you mind if I ask... it is prercribed by your vet? or one for the healfth food stores?

As arthir aid is excellent it really high Glucosamine BUT it also has other stuff that also helps with joints etc and along with the salmon oil it will really help your guy.

So he's about 5/6 now? Large breed / small breed?

Well he's supposed to be a springer, but a hunting friend of mine says he is more likely a spaniel crossed with a llywelan setter ( I know that's spelt wrong!)
    So hes a hunting type of dog anyway.
    He is springer sized, so medium I think.

Thanks for the harness help, I'll definitely try it, it would be so handy to be able to bring him out locally!!

I of the arthiaid the last time I was at the vets, I may try those chews as well.
    Thanks

I of the arthiaid the last time I was at the vets, I may try those chews as well.
    Thanks

Try the salmon oil too every little bit helps :D

• Advertisement

Thanks

on the arthir aid... your vet probably already told you this but for the first 4 weeks you give double the dosage, then drop down to normal dosage.

this means it will build up in his system, and then the normal dosage to maintain his knees etc

Def get the dogmatic, it made a massive difference , stopped my cocker spaniel from pulling like mad!

:P

Advertisement