Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maxol maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

kellief wrote: »
    Sure I'm always out that way, I never knew that! Thanks!

"Logo" is the guy that does the washing I think, they always do a bloody good job too! I can't not tip him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Is there some reason why there is a delay in repairing the traffic lights at the junction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

From John McGinley's email newsletter - which is excellent:

“Update on Traffic Lights at Straffan Road/Celbridge Road Junction at Maxol:

The Area Engineer advised local Councillors on 23 July that an electrical incident occurred at these lights on Friday 18 July and that he had no choice but to switch off the lights. The replacement of the the lights at this junction has been on the cards for a while now as the Council has been informed by their maintenance contractor that the existing lights are beyond routine maintenance and need to be replaced. The Council hope to have Civil Contractor in place later in the week and are in the process of procuring the new signals system. Funding has been secured from the National Transport Authority (NTA) and the Council intend bringing forward the North South Corridor design for the junction (already approved by the the NTA and as already stated this involves the removal of the left slip lane to the Celbridge Road).

For pedestrian and vehicle safety it is imperative that the Council have these lights back up and running for the re-opening of the schools at the end of August at the very latest."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The new design is likely to see the turn lane from the town towards Celbridge Road removed from memory, due to perceived safety concerns. Won't add much to delay for most drivers, just needless frustration for a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Long time for them to be out of operation- it's not too bad at the moment (actually running pretty smoothly from what I can see) but really, really hope things are back up and running for the schools or the place will be manic. Fingers crossed this is one deadline the County Council actually keep to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

MYOB wrote: »
    The new design is likely to see the turn lane from the town towards Celbridge Road removed from memory, due to perceived safety concerns. Won't add much to delay for most drivers, just needless frustration for a few.

Yeah I saw that too, that'll be annoying!

Won't removing that lane just push people in through Railpark? Can't imagine the residents being too happy about that.

Won't removing that lane just push people in through Railpark? Can't imagine the residents being too happy about that.

Unlikely, going through Railpark is going to take a lot longer than waiting for the lights. You'll still be able to turn left, just at the junction itself. It was only of use to avoid waiting at a red or get around when there was one or two (no more really) cars ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Is that from the same muppet that won't put in a left turn light coming out of the Glenroyal when the right turn light to enter is on? Getting rid of that left turn lane will just cause people to use Rail Park as a rat run through to the Celbridge Road.

Orion wrote: »
    Is that from the same muppet that won't put in a left turn light coming out of the Glenroyal when the right turn light to enter is on? Getting rid of that left turn lane will just cause people to use Rail Park as a rat run through to the Celbridge Road.

The district engineer and the head of traffic (two people), yes. And has disabled other vehicle-controlled lights in the town, etc.

Rail Park definitely isn't going to be faster even with that gone, though - its not the most direct route through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Rail Park definitely isn't going to be faster even with that gone, though - its not the most direct route through.

I agree, I can't see many using it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Staplor wrote: »
    From John McGinley's email newsletter - which is excellent:

“Update on Traffic Lights at Straffan Road/Celbridge Road Junction at Maxol:

The Area Engineer advised local Councillors on 23 July that an electrical incident occurred at these lights on Friday 18 July and that he had no choice but to switch off the lights. The replacement of the the lights at this junction has been on the cards for a while now as the Council has been informed by their maintenance contractor that the existing lights are beyond routine maintenance and need to be replaced. The Council hope to have Civil Contractor in place later in the week and are in the process of procuring the new signals system. Funding has been secured from the National Transport Authority (NTA) and the Council intend bringing forward the North South Corridor design for the junction (already approved by the the NTA and as already stated this involves the removal of the left slip lane to the Celbridge Road).

For pedestrian and vehicle safety it is imperative that the Council have these lights back up and running for the re-opening of the schools at the end of August at the very latest."

Zero traffic at any time since these have been gone. Long may they stay out of action.

I hate these traffic lights. Reason there's no left turn is the pedestrian lights isn't it?
    The district engineer and the head of traffic (two people), yes. And has disabled other vehicle-controlled lights in the town, etc.

HonalD wrote: »
    I agree, I can't see many using it.

Plenty will use it i think if that left filter goes, I will for one.

Also I love how people view it as a perceived danger? Has there been a spate of people getting hit by cars?

Pet hate: Dickhead pedestrians who press the button and then just walk out in front of you and don't bother waiting around for the green man.

lordgoat wrote: »

Plenty will use it i think if that left filter goes, I will for one.

Time yourself through it - it takes a LONG time and that's assuming you don't have to wait to turn on to the Celbridge Road. The filter, while very useful, doesn't save that much time. Its a huge dog-leg on roads covered in parked cars.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was wondering is it because the schools and university are off or due to the out of order traffic lights but traffic on the Straffan Road seems to be way better the last 2 weeks and flowing smoothly,though someone did try to run me over at the filter lane down to the Celbridge road.

I was just thinking today that it's been sooooo much better to drive through that junction from any direction since the lights went. I use it easily 3 to 6 times a day from various directions and it's brilliant now.

Also, regarding the Railpark run, I've used it a few times when I've approached it as the lights turn red. It might be a longer drive, but it actually does seem to be quicker than waiting for the lights sometimes. Well, the few times I've taken the trouble to note the cars waiting for the lights and try spot them as I'm coming out the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I was thinking the same about the light traffic recently. There seems to be less traffic coming up the Celbridge road - I know I've been swinging into Laurence Avenue and coming out by Greenfield as I find the visibility is much better at that junction

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The people in Laurences Ave are going to be unimpressed if too many people start doing that.
    I am also confused as to why there are so many cars parked on the road across from the shop car park opposite the 2nd hand shop before you get to Laurence Ave.

And we go from no traffic to total bumper to bumber from both sides of the lights to the town/m4.

Avoid avoid avoid.

Lol yeah I pulled out of my road in great form today, only to merge straight into the manically heavy traffic sitting at a standstill :P

All good things come to an end.

I take it that the lights are back so ?

• Advertisement

Nope, very dead still. Traffic seems OK now too

Nope, very dead still. Traffic seems OK now too

Hilarious, so the lads finish up work and traffic disappears.

These lights are one of many not needed in maynooth.

Q: Driving from M4 to Moyglare in Maynooth has more or less lights than the north quays in dublin city centre?

More I reckon, I can only think of 4 sets from Heuston in to town.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    More I reckon, I can only think of 4 sets from Heuston in to town.

I think it's even as far as O'Connel bridge...

There are 4 on the Straffan Road alone .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There are 4 on the Straffan Road alone .

More! Lidl, Kingsbry, Maxol, train station and Supervalu so there's eight between Moyglare and the N4. Crazy town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

More! Lidl, Kingsbry, Maxol, train station and Supervalu so there's eight between Moyglare and the N4. Crazy town

More than that if you include pedestrian lights.
    Church, Manor Mills, Main street junction on Mill St., pedestrian lights on Main St., Main St junction of Straffan Road, Glenroyal, train station pedestrian, Maxol, Kingsbry, Lidl.

Then include the Manor Mills Carpark and the pedestrian lights that replaced the footbridge and you've 11 sets of lights from the M4 to the college! Ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Does any know if the traffic cameras are actually monitored? The lights seem to have a remote management ability as they're all wirelessly linked is it used?

I suspect its automatic detection rather than monitoring but there are sensors on some of the lights and also the masts at a few locations.

There's more traffic lights between my house and the motorway than there is between the motorway junction and Coleraine in Northern Ireland now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

More than that if you include pedestrian lights.
    Church, Manor Mills, Main street junction on Mill St., pedestrian lights on Main St., Main St junction of Straffan Road, Glenroyal, train station pedestrian, Maxol, Kingsbry, Lidl.

Then include the Manor Mills Carpark and the pedestrian lights that replaced the footbridge and you've 11 sets of lights from the M4 to the college! Ludicrous.

And according to the local newspaper that came through the door yesterday, Naoise Ó Cearúil is looking for another set of pedestrian lights on the Moyglare Road near the GAA club...

Advertisement