Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maxol maynooth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

HonalD wrote: »
    They may be pointless to you but not to pedestrians :rolleyes:

Aww are you having trouble, I suggest learning the safe cross code, or if that's too much maybe get an adult to help.

hmm I think my post is patronising enough with the need for a smilie.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I find it easier as a pedestrian too (most of the time)
    I seriously think traffic has improved.
    I should probably set up a traffic cam to gauge it but the quality of driving would depress me,who knew so many cars came with out indicators...

It's a crazy place to put pedestrian lights. You block 3 lanes of traffic for them.
    Today proved we were better with out the lights !!

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Traffic is back to that special level of crap only this town has.

These lights and Supervalu lights only serve right turns off the side road and have huge knock on effects. Pity there's little else that can be done for those turns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Took 13 mins to get from Tesco - train station today! :-0

You'd actually walk that quicker!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

13 isn't too bad,it has taken me over 1/2 an hour to get home from there more then once.
    I love Maynooth I hate the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

45 mins from the M4 bridge to the old campus of the college was the worst I had last year.

TheBody wrote: »
    45 mins from the M4 bridge to the old campus of the college was the worst I had last year.

Just cut through surely if it's that bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just cut through surely if it's that bad...

Through Meadowbrook? That's even worse. The queue goes way out towards the Bond bridge. As people don't leave the box junction clear at the Roost, traffic coming from that road has nowhere to go when the lights go green for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yellow box junctions are a massive issue,half the drivers in Maynooth seem to think they are for parking in.
    I could not get out of Greenfield most mornings last year cause some idiot had decided to park in it.
    My poor kids think the definition of an idiot and the only time you are allowed use it is when someone parks in a yellow box junction and mammy gets angry.
    There is one yellow box in Maynooth where people think it is fine to park their cars all day and block access for people with buggies/wheel chairs. I took daily pictures of it for weeks and it was mostly repeat offenders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If only we had some sort of national uniformed service to deal with pricks like those ... oh wait :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote: »
    Through Meadowbrook? That's even worse. The queue goes way out towards the Bond bridge. As people don't leave the box junction clear at the Roost, traffic coming from that road has nowhere to go when the lights go green for them.

You could go cellbridge road and workself to main st in 10 mins i'd say on roads with no traffic lights, then I'd cut through back lanes (not down the one way st! that pisses me off) to the lights at manor mills. If traffic backs to the motor way this is what I do, I know I can get to the dunboyne road in 10 mins if I cut in at maxol and work around to it. Rather that than sit in traffic.
    Yellow box junctions are a massive issue,half the drivers in Maynooth seem to think they are for parking in.
    I could not get out of Greenfield most mornings last year cause some idiot had decided to park in it.
    My poor kids think the definition of an idiot and the only time you are allowed use it is when someone parks in a yellow box junction and mammy gets angry.
    There is one yellow box in Maynooth where people think it is fine to park their cars all day and block access for people with buggies/wheel chairs. I took daily pictures of it for weeks and it was mostly repeat offenders!

I actually think a yellow box is needed at the junction of main st and the dunboyne road. Not that it would help but in theory it would!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

As a recent addition to Maynooth I can safely say the traffic is amongst the worst I have seen for a town of its size. We don't get into the car at all. Its either walk or on yer bike. We get around in no time at all.

ElKavo wrote: »
    As a recent addition to Maynooth I can safely say the traffic is amongst the worst I have seen for a town of its size. We don't get into the car at all. Its either walk or on yer bike. We get around in no time at all.

You've not seen the college term time yet, if you think its bad now...

Crap cycle lanes, overly enclosed estates (parents house can see Lidl from the back window, but you'd not walk it with more than a small bag due to estate walls) and a fetish for traffic lights are the issues here.

MYOB wrote: »

Crap cycle lanes, overly enclosed estates (parents house can see Lidl from the back window, but you'd not walk it with more than a small bag due to estate walls) and a fetish for traffic lights are the issues here.

MORE LIGHTS. That's what we need...

13 isn't too bad,it has taken me over 1/2 an hour to get home from there more then once.
    I love Maynooth I hate the traffic.

Same.

I had just drive almost an hour from work and had to call to Heatons for something. Lesson learned. LEAVE WORK EARLIER IN FUTURE! It's been 6pm when I've gotten home each day and the traffic has been nuts on the Straffan Road.

Same.

I had just drive almost an hour from work and had to call to Heatons for something. Lesson learned. LEAVE WORK EARLIER IN FUTURE! It's been 6pm when I've gotten home each day and the traffic has been nuts on the Straffan Road.

If you ever have to go to tesco etc, get off at the celbridge exit and either go to the leixlip road or old celbridge road and take the back road to pikes bridge and then left to tesco etc.

If you ever have to go to tesco etc, get off at the celbridge exit and either go to the leixlip road or old celbridge road and take the back road to pikes bridge and then left to tesco etc.

Yep. That's exactly what I do if there's any traffic at all on the Straffan road - Pike's bridge and back in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

MYOB wrote: »

We moved in April. Sure its crappy traffic. I see lots of people dropping kids to school in cars and just think there mad! Cycle lanes are pretty pants alright and Pedestrian lights on main street are always broken by the red light jumpers. People park on the path that leads to the lane at the back of main street and block the path too. But life is too short to be worrying about them. It is a pitty there isnt yellow lines across the intersections of path and roads, ( although i'd say they would still park there though)

Orion wrote: »
    Yep. That's exactly what I do if there's any traffic at all on the Straffan road - Pike's bridge and back in that way.

Its what I do every time now - the lights at the main street are so poorly timed. Out Pikes Bridge, back in down Doctors Lane and the normal way - although with the left lane gone for the Celbridge Road now I may have to reconsider that too...

If any level of house building starts up again, the vast amount of sites that are off-limits until the ring road is built will become too tempting to resist; and we'll get our damn ringroad about 30 years after it was proposed. All the planning permission was extended for the road anyway.

The lights are shockingly bad there. Do if I do go that way it's generally down Fagan's Lane and up Pound Lane to come out at the top of Main Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I said I would drop one of the girls from work home as she wasn't feeling great and it took us nearly 30 minutes to get from the moyglare road to greenfield estate beside the Nisa shop was. It took me the same to get back to Manor mills and another 20 to get from there to home. Unfortunately because of my back I need to use the car to get anywhere, but I avoid peak times where possible. I also carpool with some people in my estate, so I do my bit to offset the hassle!

Well I was coming in the Dunboyne road and traffic was fine. It was traffic FROM Tesco up to the train station that was the problem :-)

And I don't know where Pike's bridge is!

I used to have to drive to Dunboyne twice a day last year and once you pass the girls school there are no traffic issues though often a lot of accidents.
    In the opposite direction I have seen traffic jams stretch as far as Clane.

I was watching the traffic earlier and dreading the students coming back!

I used to have to drive to Dunboyne twice a day last year and once you pass the girls school there are no traffic issues though often a lot of accidents.

I was watching the traffic earlier and dreading the students coming back!

Traffic from Dunb to Maynooth can be slow moving.
    It's always hard to believe that from the roundabout for Dunb turn off to Maynooth is 12km - feels much longer.

I come through Doctor's Lane and up passed SuperValu and meet traffic there.

Well I was coming in the Dunboyne road and traffic was fine. It was traffic FROM Tesco up to the train station that was the problem :-)

And I don't know where Pike's bridge is!

Going away from Tesco in Maynooth it's the first bridge you come to on the right. It goes over the canal and railway and if you go over it it brings you to a T junction where left is to celbridge and right is to the Maxol garage.

Traffic from Dunb to Maynooth can be slow moving.
    It's always hard to believe that from the roundabout for Dunb turn off to Maynooth is 12km - feels much longer.

I come through Doctor's Lane and up passed SuperValu and meet traffic there.

The 12km felt like 100 miles last year:( I was never doing it at evening rush hour ,just mornings and after school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Aww are you having trouble, I suggest learning the safe cross code, or if that's too much maybe get an adult to help.

hmm I think my post is patronising enough.

I'd respectively suggest that you re think your classless response, you'd better watch out or your tongue may cut you.

Do you have any idea how a visibly impaired pedestrian can cross the Straffan Road at the junction without traffic lights?

Are you seriously saying that there have been queues of 14km in length?

Orion wrote: »

Yes me too makes sense.

• Advertisement

HonalD wrote: »
    I'd respectively suggest that you re think your classless response, you'd better watch out or your tongue may cut you.

Do you have any idea how a visibly impaired pedestrian can cross the Straffan Road at the junction without traffic lights?

Sorry next time I'll take a leaf out of your book and use a patronising smiley then. Probably easier to understand. :rolleyes:

But there are 2 sets of pedestrian lights on the straffan road. No one has suggested removing these. So your moral high horse point is moot.

Advertisement